login

Author Topic: Star Trek 3 with (without Spoooock) The Shat??  (Read 16772 times)

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 526
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
Re: Star Trek 3 with Spoooock and The Shat??
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2014, 10:18:21 PM »
Cerebro
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Soguru

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2014, 11:54:45 PM »
I love Trek II. It's my favorite of the movies.  But to pretend that Harve Bennett wasn't at least as big an asshole as Roddenberry had been at times is naive at best, and he had some shit ideas too.  He wanted to do a Starfleet Academy movie. Seriously?
There's something I remember very well from Shatner's book "Up till now". On one occasion during the run of TOS, Leonard Nimoy wanted to get out of work early(an hour and 18 minutes early) to make a public appearance so he had to talk to Roddenberry. Roddenberry was starting something called Lincoln Enterprises(to hock Star Trek merchandise, like the Idic medallion) and told Leonard that he'd have to pay a fee(for representation) in exchange for getting out of work early. In order for this to work, Leonard would have to pay 20% and ultimately Roddenberry told him "Well, you're just going to have to learn how to bow down, and say 'Master'.". Gene Roddenberry also refused to help Leonard with an ongoing lawsuit he had against Paramount over the use of his likeness

Roddenberry and Harold Livingston were constantly battling over re-writes for Star Trek TMP. Roddenberry would just keep re-writing everything Livingston did. Roddenberry had balls, that's for certain. He had to in order for his stunt with agent Irving "Swifty" Lazar to work. He and Harve had different experiences though. Roddenberry's war experiences were in great big bombers, and there was a certain attachment to the ship, hence phrases like "She's hit!" "She's wounded!". With Harve, his war time experience was all with helicopters. If you crashed your copter, you just went out and got another, sound familiar? *cough* Excelsior?

Now, maybe Harve Bennett was an asshole, but it seems to me between all the stories I've heard from reliable first hand sources, Roddenberry seems like he was a pretty damn big asshole himself, a lot of times he seemed overly concerned with merchandising. I would even go so far as to personally call leaving Star Trek in season 3 a real dick move. Yes, I know, he said return Star Trek to its original time slot, or I walk and they called his bluff. In the end, Roddenberry is a lot like George Lucas. He might have great ideas, but he's no writer. From my point of view, a Starfleet Academy movie done right could be very successful, and it in my opinion, it was with the 2009 movie... but let's get away from that. I have no desire to argue about that again, and I'd appreciate if you wouldn't subtly take pot shots at me Imrahil.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:00:59 AM by Soguru »

Soguru

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2014, 12:04:07 AM »
And you know what I think of that piece of shit 2009 movie, so I wont' go into it.
I told you, I don't want to argue about that anymore anyway. You know, I did allow that I could be wrong about the quality of those movies, and that involved me pouring my soul out and I didn't think it was fair to take advantage my vulnerability for a cheap insult.

After saying all this though, I have to consider the question: am I just so jaded I love those movies for the wrong reasons? Or do I just love them because there's something seriously wrong with me?
The second one.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:07:20 AM by Soguru »

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2014, 06:37:36 AM »
Its best to have a thick skin around here.  I have to agree with Imrahil though, you can be a titanic dick and still have good ideas about how to run a show.  Also, a Starfleet Academy movie sounds horrible to me, maybe if I was teenager it might appeal to me.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Ben

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2014, 08:57:18 AM »
I can understand Shatner being in this somehow, seeing is this timeline's Kirk probably won't die the same way Shatner's did. But why bother? Nimoy was pretty much shoehorned into the last movie. I don't think Shatner likes cameos either, and it's not necessary to make his older Kirk have any real importance to the plot.

Shatner, Mirror-Kirk, villain. The script practically writes itself.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mcMCNucDzDQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mcMCNucDzDQ</a>

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3618
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2014, 09:20:29 AM »
Its best to have a thick skin around here.
Or metal like Transformers :P

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2014, 09:37:38 AM »
Correct.

Soguru

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2014, 08:09:42 PM »
Does anybody remember those spiral-bound kids books with individual, interconnecting pages that can be flipped and altered so you can change the story 8 different ways? I think whatever happens with this last Star Trek that at least the DVD give us the rare option of changing the story and the outcome how we as the audience want it. I know, interactive DVD's pretty much suck as entertainment, but I can't help but wonder how a project involving a mainstream big budget Hollywood production would turn out. 

Soguru

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2014, 10:55:55 PM »
I just had an interesting thought. Star Trek 3 could be a story about the Q showing up to try and change history back to the way it was before. Could be a good movie to re-introduce Trelane back into Star Trek. It should probably also be the movie where everything falls back into place so that the timeline goes back to "normal".

Ben

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2014, 01:33:24 PM »
"The Angry Video Game Nerd" just posted a video suggesting ten different ideas for how Shatner could return:

http://cinemassacre.com/2014/09/29/top-10-ways-william-shatner-could-return-in-star-trek-3/

Personally speaking, I'd be up for a hybrid of ideas 7 and 10. Pine-Kirk starts experiencing some kind of funky illness thanks to Khan's blood. Quinto-Spock confers with Nimoy-Spock about a cure, and Nimoy-Spock suggests the idea of a transfusion from the "evil Kirk" of the mirror universe reality. Either the Abrams version of the crew travels into the mirror universe to capture Mirror-Shatner, or they find a way to teleport Mirror-Shatner into their own reality. Unfortunately, things get complicated when Mirror-Shatner escapes and mounts his own military coup against the Federation.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3618
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2014, 04:28:43 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g5hgt0xrSbo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g5hgt0xrSbo</a>

Soguru

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2014, 12:29:57 AM »
I need to ask something of other Trek fans. I'm not trying to argue, but I am rather looking for affirmation and validation. As you know, I loved the last two Trek films, but there's obviously a part of me that's going bat shit crazy wondering why I love those films and everybody else hates them. I feel like I'm the one asshole in a sea of brilliant minds, the one religious nut job on a planet full of rational human beings... or something. I'm just trying to work out in my head why the hell I can't just trust my own opinion and would rather look for an opinion to endorse my own position from someone with a greater mind.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2014, 04:57:43 AM »
Ive been wondering just the opposite.  I cant figure out why so many people like them

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2379
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2014, 05:20:55 AM »
I need to ask something of other Trek fans. I'm not trying to argue, but I am rather looking for affirmation and validation. As you know, I loved the last two Trek films, but there's obviously a part of me that's going bat shit crazy wondering why I love those films and everybody else hates them. I feel like I'm the one asshole in a sea of brilliant minds, the one religious nut job on a planet full of rational human beings... or something. I'm just trying to work out in my head why the hell I can't just trust my own opinion and would rather look for an opinion to endorse my own position from someone with a greater mind.

I get that same feeling about Man of Steel.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2014, 05:22:39 AM »

Do you like Star Wars? So does J.J. He said, "When I was a kid, I was never a fan of Star Trek, I was always a Star Wars fan. All of my brilliant friends were into Star Trek..."

That's why, when I heard he was gonna do Star Wars, I thought, "He's gonna crush it!" He is a pretty good film-maker (better than Lucas, I think) and he will give SW the love it deserves. He may make me enjoy Star Wars, even as a Trekker!

Giving J.J. Trek was like giving Tim Burton "Batman" even as he had never read a comic book in his life, or "Planet of the Apes" even as he admitted hating the original film.

J.J. just didn't get what Trek was about, although he did the best that he could... the casting was good... it was the writing... he don't know from Trek writing...
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...