Author Topic: How Do You Capture Games?  (Read 2989 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4975
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
How Do You Capture Games?
« on: August 23, 2014, 03:57:13 PM »
Ok, I've been experimenting with capturing games from my old school consoles I.E. Original Nintendo, Play Station 1 & 2 games, and uploading them to YouTube.
I've gotten as far as capturing them through a Pinnacle Dazzle (which only captures with Yellow, White, Red RCA cables), importing through Pinnacle Studio 14, editing, and 'up converting' to 720p (low end HD) and it really just doesn't look all that good to me.

SO, I just purchased the FRAPS software and downloaded it to my entertainment desktop but it lacks a video card so unless I get a gaming video card, I guess I'm SOL (Shit Out of Luck) for capturing on that computer..
How can you capture games from a PS 2 through FRAPS??
Is there a way to perhaps capture onto a laptop using the Pinnacle Dazzle and use the FRAPS software that way or how can this be done?

Also, what decent gaming card would be recommended for capturing in HD for my entertainment desktop PC?
I'll proly need to shop around unless someone has a decent video card they're looking to sell for cheap :o
I have the Red Green Blue cables and S-video connection to connect to a video card for my PS2 already but again no video card to connect them to for capture..

Thanks for your help ;D

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7352
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
Re: How Do You Capture Games?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:16:59 PM »
and 'up converting' to 720p (low end HD) and it really just doesn't look all that good to me.

why are you expecting it to? the source isn't going to be anywhere near that resolution. ???
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:24:21 PM »
and 'up converting' to 720p (low end HD) and it really just doesn't look all that good to me.

why are you expecting it to? the source isn't going to be anywhere near that resolution. ???
I had the option in my Pinnacle Studio 14 software so I used it :-[

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 06:07:42 PM »
OK, so I've been doing further research and came across this.. :o
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7387020&CatId=1428
This looks like what I need for capturing from a game console instead of getting a video card, which is mostly used for capturing PC games..

jonalame

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 01:45:56 PM »
Well, you are already aware of FRAPS and Dazzle. How about a DVD recorder?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 01:46:50 PM »
How about a DVD recorder?
What kind?

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 08:54:05 AM »
A youtuber I watch has a dual PC setup that he uses to capture gameplay. I believe he uses Xsplit to stream and record with. He streams from his gaming PC to his capture machine, and then uses Bandicam to record the video from Xsplit so he can get lossless 1080p. I know he has a video on his computer setup, as well as a video on how he actually records. It's a lot of jury rigging, but it works really well for him. I can give you the links, if you want.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 09:36:04 AM »
A youtuber I watch has a dual PC setup that he uses to capture gameplay. I believe he uses Xsplit to stream and record with. He streams from his gaming PC to his capture machine, and then uses Bandicam to record the video from Xsplit so he can get lossless 1080p. I know he has a video on his computer setup, as well as a video on how he actually records. It's a lot of jury rigging, but it works really well for him. I can give you the links, if you want.
If he's playing games on his PC, I can see that setup being effective..
Since I play games only through my old school game consoles and capture the gameplay through a capture device and onto my laptop, I'm not sure if I could run a setup like that but yeah, go ahead and post the YouTube links here and I'll check'em out. Thanks

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 09:55:19 AM »
If he's playing games on his PC, I can see that setup being effective..
Since I play games only through my old school game consoles and capture the gameplay through a capture device and onto my laptop, I'm not sure if I could run a setup like that but yeah, go ahead and post the YouTube links here and I'll check'em out. Thanks

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HpUrqTqybz0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HpUrqTqybz0</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mlVJ2UUqwtM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mlVJ2UUqwtM</a>