login

Author Topic: LoC #81 - Top 50 Video Games of the Oughts  (Read 17261 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 831
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
Re: LoC #81 - Top 50 Video Games of the Oughts
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2014, 11:26:07 PM »
If I had known there would be so few entries, I might have ordered my list differently. But my number 1 & 2 made it (and I was pretty sure no one else would vote for them). So that worked out. However if my numbers 3 & 5 don't make it, I'll be seriously disappointed.

I just bought Knights of the Old Republic. Supposedly this was the inspiration behind Mass Effect (another game I really need to play).

Now, if you don't mind, let me plug my #1 again. Download The Ur-Quan Masters! It is easily in my top 5 favorite video games of all time. And it's FREE! And let me add... Best Villain Speech Ever.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3530
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2014, 09:53:36 AM »
So I didn't  have time last night to compile entries. Tonight should be a double-dip and I'll get the next 10 out. If I'm feeling especially ambitious, I'll finish up the list. We'll see. :^)

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2014, 12:41:36 AM »
#15–Resident Evil 4

(36 Points) 4 of 11 Lists - Highest Ranking - #6 – PsychoGoatee
I'm sure you boys didn't just tag along so we could sing "Kumbaya" together at some Boy Scout bonfire. But then again, maybe you did. 
Release Date:  January 11, 2005
Just the facts/Stuff I wiki'd:
Resident Evil 4 is a survival horror video game developed by Capcom Production Studio 4 and released by multiple publishers, including Capcom, Ubisoft, Nintendo Australia, Red Ant Enterprises and THQ Asia Pacific. The sixth main entry in the Resident Evil horror series, the game was originally released for the GameCube in January 2005 in North America and Japan, and in March 2005 in Europe and Australia.

The story of Resident Evil 4 follows the U.S. government special agent Leon S. Kennedy, who is sent on a mission to rescue Ashley Graham, the U.S. President's daughter who has been kidnapped by a sinister cult. Traveling to a remote rural area of Europe, Leon fights hordes of violent villagers and mutated monsters, and reunites with the mysterious spy Ada Wong. The game pioneered and popularized the "over the shoulder" third-person view perspective in video games.

First hinted at in early December 1999, Resident Evil 4 underwent a long development time during which four proposed versions of the game were discarded. Initially developed for the Sony Computer Entertainment's PlayStation 2, the first attempt was directed by Hideki Kamiya after producer Shinji Mikami requested him to create a new entry in the Resident Evil series. Nevertheless, it was decided to start development over again.

The player controls the protagonist Leon S. Kennedy from a third-person, over-the-shoulder perspective in a mission to rescue the daughter of the President of the United States, Ashley Graham. The gameplay focuses on action and shootouts involving crowds of enemies in large open areas. The camera is focused behind Leon, and it zooms in for an over-the-shoulder view when aiming a weapon. Unlike previous games in the series, there is the addition of a laser sight that adds a new depth to the aiming, allowing the player to aim in various directions and easily change their placement at any time. Bullets affect the enemies specifically where they are shot: shots to the feet can cause enemies to stumble, while shots to the arms can cause them to drop their weapons.

Resident Evil 4 is regarded as one of the most influential games of the 2000s decade, due to its influence in redefining the third-person shooter genre by introducing a "reliance on offset camera angles that fail to obscure the action". The new gameplay alterations and immersive style appealed to many not previously familiar with the series. The over-the-shoulder viewpoint introduced in Resident Evil 4 has later become standard in third-person shooters, including titles ranging from Gears of War to Batman: Arkham Asylum. It has also become a standard "precision aim" feature for action games in general, with examples ranging from Dead Space and Grand Theft Auto to the Ratchet & Clank Future series.

Pak's Thoughts – Tyrant and I were beating this game at a pretty steady pace until we got to the part where the bad guys are firing catapults at you. We kind of rage-quit it at that part. I think we eventually made it through that scene a couple years later, but we never got our groove back and have yet to finish it…

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2014, 12:42:04 AM »
#14–The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

(37 Points) 2 of 11 Lists - Highest Ranking - #6 – Quantum Vagina
As wide as the world is, I am the only boat upon it who can speak the words of men. 
Release Date:  December 13, 2002
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is an action-adventure game and the tenth installment in The Legend of Zelda series. It was released for the GameCube in Japan on December 13, 2002, in North America on March 24, 2003, in Europe on May 2, 2003, and in Australia on May 7, 2003.

The game is set on a group of islands in a vast sea—a first for the series. The player controls Link, the protagonist of the Zelda series. He struggles against the evil king, Ganondorf, for control of a sacred relic known as the Triforce. Link spends a large portion of the game sailing, traveling between islands, and traversing dungeons and temples to gain the power necessary to defeat Ganondorf. He also spends time trying to find his little sister Aryll.

The Wind Waker follows in the footsteps of Ocarina of Time, retaining the basic gameplay and control system from the two Nintendo 64 titles. A heavy emphasis is placed on using and controlling wind with a baton called the Wind Waker, which aids sailing and floating in air. Though controversial during development for its use of cel shading graphics and the younger Link character, The Wind Waker was met with critical acclaim. A direct sequel, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, was released in 2007.

The control scheme of The Wind Waker is largely unchanged from that of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Link's basic actions of walking, running, attacking, defending, and automatic jumping at ledges are retained. Link also uses the control system introduced in Ocarina of Time that allows him to "lock-on" to an enemy or other target. An addition to this basic control scheme is the ability to parry. When Link is locked on to an opponent and not actively defending, certain attacks by the opponent will trigger a visual cue, a vibration of the controller, and a chime. Attacking at that point causes Link to dodge or parry then counter-attack from the rear or while leaping over the foe's head. This tactic becomes crucial for defeating armored enemies or bosses.

The new art style used in The Wind Waker gives Link eyes that are much larger and more expressive than in previous games. This allows Link to focus his gaze on approaching enemies or important items. For example, if Link needs to solve a puzzle by lighting a torch to set a distant object on fire, his eyes might turn to look at a nearby stick, giving a hint to an observant player on how to proceed.

Pak's Thoughts – I think the fans (back then) would have embraced the art direction more fully if Nintendo hadn’t shown that awesome tech demo when they announced the GameCube, showing a super-realistic Link fighting Gannondorf. I was on board with the whole “Toon Link” thing from the very beginning, though. It’s like playing a stained glass window. Fortunately, it turns out a cartoony art direction doesn’t matter that much when you’re having a blast playing, and Wind Waker won over the hearts of the masses.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2014, 12:42:39 AM »
#13–Wii Sports

(38 Points) 2 of 11 Lists - Highest Ranking - #1 – Johnny Unusual
Welcome to the world of Wii Sports: A new way to play! 
Release Date:  November 19, 2006
Wii Sports is a 2006 sports game developed and published by Nintendo as a launch title for the Wii video game console (and the first title for this console), and part of the Touch! Generations. The game was first released in North America along with the Wii on November 19, 2006, and was released in Japan, Australia, and Europe the following month. It was included as a pack-in game with the Wii console in all territories except Japan, making it the first game included with the launch of a Nintendo system since Mario's Tennis for the Virtual Boy in 1995. Wii Sports is now available on its own as part of the Nintendo Selects collection of games and is no longer a pack-in game for the Wii.

The game is a collection of five sports simulations, designed to demonstrate the motion-sensing capabilities of the Wii Remote to new players. The five sports included are tennis, baseball, bowling, golf, and boxing. Players use the Wii Remote to mimic actions performed in real life sports, such as swinging a tennis racket. The rules for each game are simplified to make them more accessible to new players. The game also features training and fitness modes that monitor players' progress in the sports.

Overall, Wii Sports has been well received by critics and received awards from the gaming press and entertainment community. It is the second best-selling video game of all time, behind Tetris, as of April 2013, having outsold the previous best-seller, Super Mario Bros., also published by Nintendo.

Wii Sports consists of five separate sports games—tennis, baseball, bowling, golf, and boxing—accessed from the main menu. The games use the motion sensor capabilities of the Wii Remote and Nunchuk attachment to control the actions of the on-screen character. The player moves the remote in a similar manner to how the separate games are played in real life; for example, holding and swinging the Wii Remote like a golf club, baseball bat or bowling ball. Some aspects of the gameplay are computer controlled. In tennis, player movement is controlled by the Wii, while the swinging of the racket is controlled by the player. Baseball consists of batting and pitching, with all of the fielding and baserunning handled by the Wii.

Pak's Thoughts – Not much to say for this one. I liked it, but it was less about the game itself and more about OH MY GOSH I HAVE A WII CHECK OUT THESE WII CONTROLS! The Wii was the first and probably last system that I actually camped out overnight for. I had a preorder with a local game store, and they decided to tell me the day before the Wii came out that they were going to just sell their Wiis online for way more money. This left me and my brother out in the cold. Literally. On a cold November Night, I sat huddled on a chair in front of the only Circuit City in town that still had a spot left. If you’ve never slept in front of a store in the freezing cold, I wouldn’t recommend it. Nothing wakes you up quite like the sound of a car going through the parking lot. Your brain screams at you, “WE SHOULDN’T BE SLEEPING HERE!” We got our Wiis, though, and it was totally worth it, and I’m never going to ever do that again.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2014, 12:43:06 AM »
#12–Super Smash Bros. Brawl

(40 Points) 2 of 11 Lists - Highest Ranking - #2 – Pak-Man
Falcon Punch! 
Release Date:  January 31, 2008
Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the third installment in the Super Smash Bros. series of crossover fighting games, developed by an ad hoc development team consisting of Sora, Game Arts, and staff from other developers, and published by Nintendo for the Wii video game console. Brawl was announced at a pre-E3 2005 press conference by Nintendo president and Chief Executive Officer Satoru Iwata. Masahiro Sakurai, director of the previous two games in the series, assumed the role of director for the third installment at the request of Iwata. Game development began in October 2005 with a creative team that included members from several Nintendo and third-party development teams. After delays due to development problems, the game was finally released on January 31, 2008, in Japan; March 9, 2008, in North America; June 26, 2008, in Australia; and June 27, 2008, in Europe. Twenty-seven months after its original Japanese release, the game was released in Korea, on April 29, 2010.

The number of playable characters in Brawl has grown from that in Super Smash Bros. Melee; Brawl is the first game in the series to expand past Nintendo characters by allowing players to control third-party characters. Like that of its predecessors, the object of Brawl is to knock an opponent off the screen. It is a departure from traditional fighting games, notably in its simplified move commands and emphasis on ring outs over knockouts. It includes a more extensive single-player mode than its predecessors, known as the Subspace Emissary (SSE). This mode is a plot-driven, side-scrolling beat 'em up featuring computer-generated cut scenes and a selection of playable characters. Brawl also supports multiplayer battles with up to four combatants, and is the first game of its franchise to feature online battles via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. The game is unique, in that it may be played with four different controllers, including the Wii Remote, Wii Remote with Nunchuk, GameCube controller, and Classic Controller, simultaneously.

Following its predecessors, Brawl uses a battle system unlike that of typical fighting games. Players can choose from a large selection of characters, each attempting to knock their opponents off the screen as they fight on various stages. The characters in Brawl include most of the same ones as the predecessors, such as the well-known Mario and Pikachu. Instead of using traditional health bars that start at a maximum value and lose value, Brawl characters start the game with 0%; the value rises as they take damage and may rise over 100% to a maximum of 999%. As a character's percentage increases, the character flies further back when hit. When a character is knocked beyond a stage's boundary and disappears from the screen, the character loses either a life, a point, or coins, depending on the mode of play. Brawl includes a function which allows players to create profiles with personalized button configurations for each control method along with their chosen username.

Pak's Thoughts – Smash Bros. Brawl is more than just a great game. It’s a love letter to the entire history of Nintendo games. The game itself is loaded with references to every nook and cranny of Nintendo’s long history, and the soundtrack has several hours worth of some of the greatest video game music ever created. There are trophys, stickers, and scads of unlockables. The game you play when you first boot it up is only a fraction of the game you have if you ever finish unlocking it all.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2014, 12:43:32 AM »
#11–Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

(41 Points) 2 of 11 Lists - Highest Ranking - #1 – PsychoGoatee
You. You the boy? Yeah. You the boy. I think so, you know? 
Release Date:  October 27, 2002
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is an open world action-adventure video game developed by Rockstar North and published by Rockstar Games. It was released on 27 October 2002 for the PlayStation 2 console, on 12 May 2003 for Microsoft Windows, and on 31 October 2003 for the Xbox console. It is the sixth title in the Grand Theft Auto series, and the first main entry since 2001's Grand Theft Auto III.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is played from a third-person perspective in an open world environment, allowing the player to interact with the game world at their leisure. The game is set in 1986 within the fictional city of Vice City, which is heavily based on Miami and draws inspiration from 1980s' American culture. The single-player story follows Tommy Vercetti, a Mafia hitman who is released from prison. After his involvement in a drug deal gone wrong, Tommy seeks out those responsible while building a criminal empire and seizing power from other criminal organizations in the city.

Because Vice City was built upon Grand Theft Auto III, the game follows a largely similar gameplay design and interface with GTA III with several tweaks and improvements over its predecessor. The gameplay is very open-ended, a characteristic of the Grand Theft Auto franchise; although missions must be completed to complete the storyline and unlock new areas of the city, the player is able to drive around and visit different parts of the city at his/her leisure and otherwise, do whatever they wish if not currently in the middle of a mission. Various items such as hidden weapons and packages are also scattered throughout the landscape, as it has been with previous GTA titles.

Players can steal vehicles, (cars, boats, motorcycles, and even helicopters) partake in drive-by shootings, robberies, and generally create chaos. However, doing so tends to generate unwanted and potentially fatal attention from the police (or, in extreme cases, the FBI and even the National Guard). Police behavior is mostly similar to Grand Theft Auto III, although police units will now wield night sticks, deploy spike strips to puncture the tires of the player's car, as well as SWAT teams being rappelled down from flying police helicopters and undercover police units, à la-Vice Squad. Police attention can be neutralized in a variety of ways.

A new addition in the game is the ability of the player to purchase a number of properties distributed across the city. Some of these are additional hideouts (essentially locations where weapons can be collected and the game saved). There are also a variety of businesses called "assets" which the player can buy. These include a film studio, a dance club, a strip club, a taxi company, an "ice-cream delivery business" (acting as a front company), a boatyard, a printing works, and a car showroom. Each commercial property has a number of missions attached to it, such as eliminating the competition or stealing equipment. Once all the missions for a given property are complete, the property will begin to generate an ongoing income, which the increasingly prosperous Vercetti may periodically collect.

Various gangs make frequent appearances in the game, some of whom are integral to story events. These gangs typically have a positive or negative opinion of the player and act accordingly by following the player or shooting at him. Shootouts between members of rival gangs can occur spontaneously and several missions involve organized fights between opposing gangs.

Optional side-missions are once again included, giving the player the opportunity to make pizza deliveries, drive injured people to a hospital with an ambulance, extinguish fires with a fire truck, deliver passengers in a taxi, be a vigilante, using a police vehicle to intercept (and kill) criminals, and the ability to drive a bus, transporting fare-paying passengers. Monetary rewards and occasional gameplay advantages (e.g. increased health and armor capacity and infinite sprinting) are awarded for completing different difficulty levels of these activities. Different sums of money are awarded for landing trick jumps in motorcycles or fast cars depending on the number of flips and height achieved.

Pak's Thoughts – I could never get into Grand Theft Auto. The seedy criminal world just isn’t where I enjoy spending my virtual time. I enjoy a good sandbox game, so I guess I see the appeal, but I’d rather play something like Hulk: Ultimate Destruction to get my sandbox fix.

OK. So the top ten will come up late tomorrow night, but to make up for the delay of the next five, and in honor of International Talk Like a Pirate Day…

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2014, 12:45:31 AM »
BONUS LIST: Top 5 Pirate Games of the ‘00s!

Avast, ye swabs! It be Talk like a Pirate Day, and I’ll be breakin’ down the best Pirate Games  o’ the oughts, as selected by yers truly!

#5 - Skies of Arcadia – October 5, 2000

If ye be wantin’ to do some Role Playin’ on yer Dreamcast, this piratey game be one of yer best bets. It’s got a great story, fun action, and pirate booty galore!

#4 - Tropico 2: Pirate Cove – April 8, 2003

Arr, this Tropico game be a departure for the series. Instead of a Tin Can dictator, ye be a pirate king. It still be a blast to impose your will on the powerless people beneath you!

#3 - Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure – October 23, 2007

Yar, when this came out, thar weren’t many adventure games coming out- let alone fer consoles. This game be broken down into a series of one-room mini-adventure games. If ye can track down a copy, ye owe it to yerself to give ‘er a whirl.

#2 - Tales of Monkey Island – July 7, 2009

Avast! It be the continued adventures of Guybrush Threepwood- mighty pirate. Long after we’d given up hope for another Monkey Island game, Telltale came along and let us get our pirate on one more time. It don’t have the luster of the previous entries, but it still be a good time!

#1 - Sid Meyer’s Pirates – November 22, 2004

This be the ultimate pirate sim! Ye get yer ship, get yer crew, and sail the seas in search of love, plunder, an’ buried treasure. I make it a habit to play it every year around this time. It puts me in a piratey mood!

An’ that’ll do fer now! Tune in tonight fer the top ten, an’ I’ll stop talkin’ pirate!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2014, 01:25:15 AM »
Pak's Thoughts – Tyrant and I were beating this game at a pretty steady pace until we got to the part where the bad guys are firing catapults at you. We kind of rage-quit it at that part. I think we eventually made it through that scene a couple years later, but we never got our groove back and have yet to finish it…

Sniper rifle and a lot of back-and-forth running across the tower across the way, and that part's no problem.

Those Iron Maidens, though... those always got to me.

This game is a ton of fun, even if I preferred the series back when it was more survival horror and less action-y. But the action flows so well it's hard to gripe, to say nothing of the fact that it's nice not to feel like you're trying to steer a tank around a chair every time you want to move around.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2014, 08:42:47 AM »
I think it should be mentioned that Brawl is a significantly better game if you mod it. Project M is the standard for competitive Brawl, because it makes the game more fast paced and hectic.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5613
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2014, 12:18:13 PM »
#13–Wii Sports

This was a fantastic game and one of the few that really took advantage of the wii-motes.  Too many of the others are more wonky, but Wii Tennis worked great.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2014, 01:48:10 PM »
#13–Wii Sports

This was a fantastic game and one of the few that really took advantage of the wii-motes.  Too many of the others are more wonky, but Wii Tennis worked great.

Even if the movement was crazy at times, there were few things as fun as our apartment Wii-Boxing tournaments when I first hooked up the system.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 162
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2014, 02:27:18 PM »
It should also be noted that Vice City has the best soundtrack ever, pretty much the best 80s compilation in existence right there. And the best one-liners of glorious beautiful cheese belong to Leon Kennedy in RE4, oh yes! Saddler.. you're small time!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5613
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2014, 03:09:44 PM »
I have a difference GTA preference, which might come up.  That said, Vice City is pretty great and a lot of fun.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2014, 12:09:36 AM »
#10–Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

(43 Points) 2 of 11 Lists - Highest Ranking - #3 – Johnny Unusual
See, baby, I got everything... Mink sheets... Mink coats... Mink curtains in the window. When I walk down the stairs, I'm walking down on... mink carpet. 
Release Date:  October 26, 2004
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is an open world action-adventure video game developed by Rockstar North and published by Rockstar Games. It was released on 26 October 2004 for the PlayStation 2 console. It is the seventh title in the Grand Theft Auto series, and the first main entry since 2002's Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. It was released on the same day as the handheld game Grand Theft Auto Advance.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is played from a third-person perspective in an open world environment, allowing the player to interact with the game world at their leisure. The game is set within the fictional U.S. state of San Andreas, which is heavily based on California and Nevada. The state of San Andreas consists of three metropolitan cities: Los Santos, based on Los Angeles; San Fierro, based on San Francisco; and Las Venturas, based on Las Vegas. The single-player story follows Carl "CJ" Johnson, who returns home to Los Santos after learning of his mother's murder. CJ finds his old friends and family in disarray, and over the course of the game he attempts to re-establish his old gang, clashes with corrupt cops, and gradually unravels the truth behind his mother's murder. The plot is based on multiple real-life events in Los Angeles, including the rivalry between the Bloods and Crips street gangs, the 1980s crack epidemic, the LAPD Rampart scandal, and the 1992 Los Angeles riots.

Upon its release, the game was acclaimed by many reviewers who praised the music, story and gameplay. It became the best-selling video game of 2004, and has sold over 27 million copies; it remains the best-selling PlayStation 2 game of all time. The game, like its predecessors, is cited as a landmark in video games for its far-reaching influence within the industry. The violence and sexual content of San Andreas has been the source of public concern and controversy. In particular, a player-made software patch, dubbed the "Hot Coffee mod", unlocked a previously hidden sexual mini-game.

San Andreas is structured similarly to the previous two games in the series. The core gameplay consists of elements of a third-person shooter and a driving game, affording the player a large, open world environment in which to move around. On foot, the player's character is capable of walking, eating, running, sprinting, swimming, climbing and jumping as well as using weapons and various forms of hand-to-hand combat. Players can drive a variety of vehicles, including automobiles, buses, semis, boats, fixed wing aircraft, helicopters, trains, tanks, motorcycles and bikes. Players may also import vehicles rather than steal them.

The open, non-linear environment allows players to explore and choose how they wish to play the game. Although storyline missions are necessary to progress through the game and unlock certain cities and content, they are not required as players can complete them at their own leisure. When not taking on a storyline mission, players can free-roam and look around the cities, eat from the restaurant, or cause havoc by attacking people and causing destruction. Creating havoc can attract unwanted and potentially fatal attention from the authorities. The more chaos caused, the stronger the response: police will handle "minor" infractions (attacking pedestrians, pointing guns at people, stealing vehicles, manslaughter, etc.), whereas SWAT teams, the FBI, and the military respond to higher wanted levels.

In mid-June 2005, a software patch for the game dubbed the "Hot Coffee mod" was released by Patrick Wildenborg (under the Internet alias "PatrickW"), a 38-year old modder from the Netherlands. The name "Hot Coffee" refers to the way the released game alludes to the unseen sex scenes. In the unmodified game, the player takes his girlfriend to her front door and she asks him if he would like to come in for "some coffee". He agrees, and the camera stays outside, swaying back and forth a bit, while moaning sounds are heard.

After installing the patch, users can enter the main character's girlfriends' houses and engage in a crudely rendered, fully clothed or nude sexual intercourse mini-game. The fallout from the controversy resulted in a public response from high-ranking politicians in the United States and elsewhere and resulted in the game's recall and re-release.

On 20 July 2005, North America's organization that establishes content ratings for video games, the ESRB, changed the rating of the game from Mature (M) to Adults Only (AO), making San Andreas the only mass-released AO console game in the United States. Rockstar announced that it would cease production of the version of the game that included the controversial content. Rockstar gave distributors the option of applying an Adults Only ESRB rating sticker to copies of the game, or returning them to be replaced by versions without the Hot Coffee content. Many retailers pulled the game off their shelves in compliance with their own store regulations that kept them from selling AO games. That same month in Australia, the Office of Film and Literature Classification revoked its original rating of MA15+, meaning that the game could no longer be sold there.

Pak's Thoughts – Again, I’ve never really played any of the GTA games, but I do remember the whole Hot Coffee controversy. I never quite agreed with the ESRB ruling. If you have to patch a game to unlock the dirty content, then I say the rating still refers to the unpatched game. However you patch it after the fact is your own business.