Author Topic: What smartphone do you use?  (Read 4747 times)

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 357
Re: What smartphone do you use?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 11:30:10 PM »
htc touch2 is apparently what I have.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1519
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 07:50:03 AM »
Just got my iPhone 6+ last night.  Really liking it so far, but it's still gonna take some getting used to.  Not a fan of the headphone jack on the bottom of the phone (like on the iPod touch) since I have to have it sitting upside down in the cup holder of my car to use the line in for listening to music/podcasts.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 04:43:16 PM »
LG Ultimate 2

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 412
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2018, 10:22:03 AM »
Pardon the necropost, but I thought I would respond to mention that I stopped being such a Luddite and joined the smartphone club.  I saw the movie Searching a few weeks ago and was intrigued by Facetime.  I thought that video chatting with my friends from out of town would be fun.  Also, it was becoming inconvenient to not have a smartphone.  I have to get dental surgery in November and I'll need a ride home from that.  It will be handy to be able to summon an Uber for that.  Also, there are these rentable scooters all over downtown Indianapolis and I'd like to try those.

So I bought a refurbished Iphone SE for 70 bucks and a pay as you go plan from Straight Talk Wireless.  The wireless plan is $35 a month.  The phone is tiny and I'm still getting used to it.  But I love that I can have the Bubble Bobble theme as my ringtone.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 10:25:24 AM by Pastor of Muppets »
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 539
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2018, 11:13:50 AM »
Very cool! I upgraded from a barely functional iPhone 3 to a 6 this past year. It was like finally entering the decade. Wife was pregnant and I wanted a good camera. Planned to get Android but iPhone had the slightly better camera. Co-worker sold me hers for $100 which was quite the bargain.

I held off from getting a smart phone as long as I could originally (got the 3 about four years ago). I was needing to google phone numbers, movie showtimes, and directions so much that it became necessary. Congrats on the new phone!

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 380
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 07:07:41 PM »
Currently have a Samsung Galaxy S8+. Got it for free due to phone immediately before this one being a LG G4- had 8 diffrent LG G4's- fortunately my provider replaced each 1 for free, but the LG was the worst phone I ever owned due to each of them going bad for various reasons (first couple had screens that quit working, a couple that wifi quit on, last one caught on fire while charging).
Had a S2 and then an S4 prior to the S8+ (and before my horrible experience with the LG). Never had any problems with any of the Samsung phones, so to me they're the way to go.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 412
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 11:51:13 PM »
One of my co-workers was saying yesterday "It's Iphone season! I'm thinking of upgrading to the 8 (or whatever the newest model is I forget what he said)".

It strikes me as odd and wasteful that people do this.  Buy a new phone when they already have a perfectly good one.  This guy is a 24 year old kid and he's remarkably bad at managing his money.  He goes out to eat 2 or 3 meals a day.  He buys a lot of video games.  He could make that work pretty well previously because he was living with his mom until a few months ago.  But he's got bad adulting skills and I hope he comes to his senses before he sinks into a lot of debt.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6576
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 07:05:08 AM »
One of my co-workers was saying yesterday "It's Iphone season! I'm thinking of upgrading to the 8 (or whatever the newest model is I forget what he said)".

It strikes me as odd and wasteful that people do this.  Buy a new phone when they already have a perfectly good one. 
Depends on if he trades it in and gets a discount. Or if he has it paid off he can donate the old one.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1176
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 12:10:00 PM »
Smart Phone? I don't even own a regular cell phone.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4989
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2020, 01:54:30 AM »
So yesterday I was forced to retire my old Samsung Galaxy S4 that I had for several years and upgraded to an AT&T Radiant Core smartphone. I wanted a cell phone that I could change/replace the battery if needed. That to me was Priority One because the charger port on my S4 went out and wouldn't charge my phone anymore but I was able to swap the battery out with one I had charged on an external charger and continued using the phone for the rest of the day. Had a battery go bad a couple years ago and it was easy getting a replacement from ebay.
The Radiant Core is still an Android and cost around $75 total from the AT&T store. It took the rep around 2 hours to swap over my service along with my contacts, music files, videos,  etc. because they couldn't use an AT&T app to link up my S4 to their tablet because my S4 was too old so they had to 'chain' them together through another 'copy my data' app from my S4 through their tablet to the Radiant Core to transfer everything over.
I ordered a heavy duty case for just over $9 from Walmart, and a 2nd battery from ebay for just over $20. Already have an adjustable style external battery charger that will charge this new battery, and my old Galaxy S4 charging cables work on this AT&T Radiant Core so I think I got of light paying less than $100 for everything I needed.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2020, 08:01:19 AM »
With iOS 14 I can finally set Firefox as my default browser instead of safari. I mainly like that it can sync with my PC, but there are other nice features, like how tabs are laid out so I can actually see what I have open.

Before, I could use Firefox, but links from other apps would open in safari, which made Firefox next to useless on my iPhone.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2020, 09:06:54 AM »
I have an Samsung Galaxy s8 and it is getting a bit old. It only holds a charge for a day if I'm lucky and it has occasionally lost connection with the SIM card so it has to be restarted.
I had no idea there were so many different versions of the Samsung Galaxy now. A bunch of S20s and now a bunch of A numbers too? Does anyone know the difference between all the different ones?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3084
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2020, 09:22:08 AM »
I have an Samsung Galaxy s8 and it is getting a bit old. It only holds a charge for a day if I'm lucky and it has occasionally lost connection with the SIM card so it has to be restarted.
I had no idea there were so many different versions of the Samsung Galaxy now. A bunch of S20s and now a bunch of A numbers too? Does anyone know the difference between all the different ones?

Look up videos on how to replace the battery, I've replaced the batt on my S7 3 times now.  If you can use a screwdriver you can probably replace the battery.  Kits that have a new batt and all the tools you need are pretty cheap.  You do have to pry off the back, so getting a replacement back and possibly the glass camera cover is a good idea in case they break while removing them.

I've been looking at getting a new one but can't see spending that much when the S7 still does what I need just fine, the knockoff replacement batts only seem to last about a year, but $25 is a lot less than a new phone.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2020, 02:57:20 PM »

Look up videos on how to replace the battery, I've replaced the batt on my S7 3 times now.  If you can use a screwdriver you can probably replace the battery.  Kits that have a new batt and all the tools you need are pretty cheap.  You do have to pry off the back, so getting a replacement back and possibly the glass camera cover is a good idea in case they break while removing them.

I've been looking at getting a new one but can't see spending that much when the S7 still does what I need just fine, the knockoff replacement batts only seem to last about a year, but $25 is a lot less than a new phone.
That's an interesting idea. But what about the occasional losing SIM card connection issue? So far it hasn't been a big deal, but I'm concerned it will get worse.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3084
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2020, 03:09:06 PM »

That's an interesting idea. But what about the occasional losing SIM card connection issue? So far it hasn't been a big deal, but I'm concerned it will get worse.

It may simply have a bad contact.  Taking it out and putting it back in may be enough to clean the contacts and stop it.  If it's a bad internal connection caused by a drop then it may get worse over time. 

FYI: SIM cards are really slow compared to other memory cards, so it sometimes takes a phone minutes to read the SIM after you put it in.