Author Topic: MANIMAL reboot  (Read 1670 times)

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 173
Re: MANIMAL reboot
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 07:20:57 PM »
This sounds like perfect Ferrell/McKay material.

Somewhere, Rex Smith is trying desperately to get ahold of producers for his new comedy about a talking motorcycle.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 07:31:01 PM »
This sounds like perfect Ferrell/McKay material.
I do think this will be good. I've been a big fan of the other Ferrell/McKay movies. And this has an inherently silly premis, so it does lend itself to a comedy. But the original wasn't. So it doesn't HAVE to be a comedy in order to work. So I can understand someone who is a fan of the original show feeling disappointed.

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 09:30:53 PM »
I do think this will be good. I've been a big fan of the other Ferrell/McKay movies. And this has an inherently silly premis, so it does lend itself to a comedy. But the original wasn't. So it doesn't HAVE to be a comedy in order to work. So I can understand someone who is a fan of the original show feeling disappointed.

Honestly, it's such a cult thing that was (as I recall) treated like a joke when I was growing up in the late 80s, so I'd look weird at anyone wanting a straight-edge adventure out of a premise that lasted all of <checks Wikipedia> eight episodes when people were a lot less cynical. (For the record, I'd say the same thing about other titles if this succeeds and all of a sudden, there's this influx of short-lived 80s shows getting reboots. Just keep the original Street Hawk theme, 'kay?)

And for the record, can Aaron Eckhart be funny? The movie would work best if the new Chase was the only one not in the joke, and all around him were the Ferrell/McKay regulars. (Kristen Wiig! Rashida Jones! Craig Robinson!)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 07:51:07 AM »
Oh, I'd watch a movie with Craig Robinson as Manimal.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 10:35:09 AM »

Honestly, it's such a cult thing that was (as I recall) treated like a joke when I was growing up in the late 80s, so I'd look weird at anyone wanting a straight-edge adventure out of a premise that lasted all of <checks Wikipedia> eight episodes when people were a lot less cynical. (For the record, I'd say the same thing about other titles if this succeeds and all of a sudden, there's this influx of short-lived 80s shows getting reboots. Just keep the original Street Hawk theme, 'kay?)
Now it won't seem so strange when Kevin Smith announces he is making a big budget gritty movie of Desmond Pfeiffer.