Author Topic: Lost Thoughts  (Read 26737 times)

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
Re: Lost Thoughts
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2007, 08:26:23 AM »

Well this was pretty awesome. I can see why Lost is pretty big, however I'm mindful of the fact that even the fans are getting irritated with it. Pak and I went ahead and watched the entire DVD. I don't see us immediatly heading out to rent the rest of the show in an obsessed, rabid fashion, but I can see us renting a season every other month or so just to keep up somewhat.

I'm also happy to see Mike and crew experimenting. TV shows should be riffed too.

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2007, 08:57:42 AM »
Maybe they could do the pilot episode of Firefly or Serenity, but I might have ambiguous feelings about that. They'd have to treat it special like LOTR.

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2007, 08:59:54 AM »
And while we are talking about riffing tv shows...I thought it was pretty easy to pick up a copy of the Season 1 Disc 1 for LOST. In Fact, the private video place I rented it from had just about every TV show that was ever released on DVD. So I'd be up for some more TV riffing.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2007, 01:32:07 PM »
Well I quite enjoyed that one.
After all the fatty joke warnings I guess I expected it to be a lot worse.
I have watched season 1 and 2 of Lost so I was familiar with the show, I can see how some people might be unsatisified with it from stand alone story sense. I guess the difference here with the Lost rifftrax and the MST3K TV show stuff they did, is that the MST3K stuff was presented as sort of stand alone movies, which of course wasn't the case here.

That's Korean for 'Shake your Potatoes!'

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2007, 05:48:55 PM »
It made me laugh, but for me this was exactly what I feared, unsatisfying.

Normally when I watch a Rifftrax, I get a whole movie along with my laughs, even if it IS a terrible movie. This time I got very little. The problem with a series like this is that, even if it is fast moving and dramatic in points, it has to be slow moving and drawn out in others. That makes for a great, entertaining tv series, (especially as a DVD box set) but, with only the first two episodes being riffed, I felt like I was left hanging.

I strongly vote no on further tv series for Rifftrax.

If they do more tv shows I recommend using ones that have an enclosed story.  Not one that is part of a series.  Any of the Law & Order, or CSI episodes would be much better simply because you can watch them all by themselves and not be missing any major plot points.  Just a suggestion. 

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2007, 06:45:51 AM »
As far as enjoying the series is concerned, if you can get to the episode "WALKABOUT," which focuses on John Locke, you'll see why so many people love LOST. It may not attract /everyone/, but that's the ep that really hooked me....

John Locke for President!
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline MarkAndrew

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2007, 06:59:33 AM »
As far as enjoying the series is concerned, if you can get to the episode "WALKABOUT," which focuses on John Locke, you'll see why so many people love LOST. It may not attract /everyone/, but that's the ep that really hooked me....

+1,
He's likely a better choice that what that will be on the ballot nect November. :-)

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2007, 07:49:17 AM »

I am a fan of the show.  I watch the seasons in their entirety when they come out on DVD.  I just don't think that continuous story television series make very good source material for a good rifftrax. 

Offline Electric_Nachos

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2007, 06:54:44 PM »
Especially when there are people like Hurley who maybe in the first 2 episodes doesn't show much promise but after having watched all the seasons up till now has become one of my absolute favorite characters in spite of/because of his weight...especially the actor himself who is very cool.

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2007, 08:55:37 PM »
    I've only been a Netflix member for a month, but was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to move my queue around and get the Lost DVD here fast.   I doubt anybody expects Rifftrax to riff on tv shows very often, but if they ever do I would like to throw The Sopranos out there as a possibility.

I agree that they used too many fat jokes on Hurley,  but you do have to admit his appearance does lend itself to that type of humor.  Considering how little time has passed on the island in three seasons of the show, it does make some sense that he hasn't lost  any weight.  They've found a lot of food and even found an airdrop.   They had more cause to get rid of Walt since three years of growth on him would be harder to reconcile.   They must have back-up babies waiting for Claire's kid.

My biggest laugh the first time through on Rifftrax had to be the labor-intensive "Yahoo." "Serious?" joke.  I still remember how he was going to take over the comedy scene in the US,   but now imagine him introducing acts at whatever parallel  Australia has created to the hell known as Branson, MO.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2007, 09:29:18 PM »
My biggest laugh the first time through on Rifftrax had to be the labor-intensive "Yahoo." "Serious?" joke.

The delivery on that was great.

Offline Electric_Nachos

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2007, 02:38:09 AM »
I watched it again, both episodes in succession this time, and I feel a little better about it.
In spite of the easy prey, and the unprecedented amount of fart/bm jokes...which I guess we were warned about with Disembaudio's lines in the beginning, there are some really good jokes in there. 

Of course I've been watching the first season over again with my cousin who is just getting into it, and I can't help but make "head bob" jokes with Jack or "fretfretfret" when they have a long shot of Kate...er...fretting....
And I can't resist flashback jokes....
"Is there something you want to tell me?"
::long stare off into the distance::
me-"I can only tell you in flashback."

It still hasn't dampened my enjoyment of/desire for new episodes.  And I still got chill at certain parts during season one even though I already knew what was going to happen.  I think it's successful in making fun of it but not destroying future enjoyment of it.  Of course that, to me, also attests to the caliber of the show itself. 

All in all, I'm forgiving them for the Hurley focus. I think it's part of the drawback of riffing on a series... I still feel a little reticent about showing this to my other Losties if it's their first Rifftrax experience, because I think it gives the wrong impression that the riffers are completely obsessed with fart/fat jokes (I mean, maybe they are....)  but I still may be overly sensitive.  I want to make sure that my friends enjoy it enough to buy some other Rifftrax after watching this one.
They did make references to things that Lost fans would get, and I think if they did another like this, it would be good to have someone on board who is a fan of it as well.  If they had someone who was steeped in Lost-ness they could have maybe found more material to make fun of because they're already in it. 
Just something to think about for the future, if they do other shows/movies that are actually good.  A balance must be struck!....or the set!  Or my face!
 ;)

Offline AmazingThor

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 14
  • Spam fed the Russian army
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2007, 08:39:19 AM »

Exactly. I had never seen Lost until I rented it for the rifftrax. I went ahead and watched all the episodes on the disc and after walkabout I knew I was hooked. Thanks a lot for adding another TV series to my list of obsessions!

Offline Indomitus

• Big Montana
  • Hang on, gotta answer my iPOG
    • vox.neoleo.net  (a work in progress)
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2007, 06:54:59 AM »
Maybe they could do the pilot episode of Firefly or Serenity, but I might have ambiguous feelings about that. They'd have to treat it special like LOTR.
I'd get a kick out of them doing other shows like that, but I'm all for no holds barred riffing.  If they're going to do it, DO IT.  As Mel Brooks said in the commentary for Blazing Saddles, "If you're going to go up to the bell, ring it."
Don't get me wrong, I love Firefly, and the movie and the comics that fill in the interim, but if they're going to do it, they shouldn't hold back.  If I want to watch Firefly for the love of the show, then I'd watch it sans riffs.  If I'm watching a Rifftrax, I want riffs!

Offline AmazingThor

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 14
  • Spam fed the Russian army
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2007, 07:31:50 AM »
My problem with Fireflly is that it has too much humor in it to do a riff. Riffing something thats already funny seems like a waste to me.