Author Topic: Top 50 Muppets! (LoC #80)  (Read 48714 times)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
Re: Top 50 Muppets! (LoC #80)
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2014, 11:50:14 PM »
"You are all weirdos." -- Sam the Eagle, reading this thread

He jumped five points on my list for that remark. It's the ultimate bit to use pretty much anywhere on the internet at any time. Truly, Sam was ahead of his time.

Also, I forgot Rowlf on my list. I feel bad about this, but at least I can talk solace in the fact that Rowlf will be totally cool about it. I would also like to say that I kinda agree with Darth about Miss Piggy, in that I generally find her more irritating than not. Sure, she has her moments, but by and large, she's a bit too shrill for me tastes (also, Kermit can do better. There, I said it).

*The answer to “Who is Beaker’s boss? A question which got Brett killed (Archer reference)

At least he died doing what he loved. Getting shot.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1384
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #136 on: August 01, 2014, 08:05:29 AM »

*The answer to “Who is Beaker’s boss? A question which got Brett killed (Archer reference)

At least he died doing what he loved. Getting shot.

*high five*
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1092
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2014, 08:16:58 AM »
Did I just forget Sam the Eagle? Apparently  :grr: Flippin hell.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2014, 12:40:06 PM »
Number 10

Big Bird
 120 Points, 9 of 13 lists, #5 Relaxing Dragon, #5 Scott
First Appearance:Sesame Street
Notable Appearances:Follow that Bird; The Adventures of Elmo In Grouchland; The Muppet Movie; The Muppets Take Manhattan
Performer: Caroll Spinney (1969 - present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aJGU1wI70Ng" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aJGU1wI70Ng</a>
Bio
Big Bird is an 8-foot, 2-inch yellow bird who lives on Sesame Street. Since Sesame Street premiered in 1969, Big Bird has entertained millions of pre-school children and their parents with his wide-eyed wondering at the world. Big Bird is also a bird who makes friends easily.
The world-famous bird has been a central character on Sesame Street for the program's run, premiering in the first episode. The big yellow bird can roller skate, ice skate, dance, sing, write poetry, draw, and even ride a unicycle — pretty talented for a character described in the TV show's writer's guide as a 6-year-old. But despite this wide array of talents, he's prone to frequent misunderstandings, like thinking that the alphabet is one long word.
Big Bird lives in a large nest behind 123 Sesame Street and next to Oscar's trash can, and he has a teddy bear named Radar.
Big Bird helps children feel all right about not knowing everything because he himself does not know everything, and encourages them to inquire: a common Big Bird phrase in recent years has been "Asking questions is a good way of finding things out!" He also teaches other life, alphabet, and numerical lessons: "I guess it's better to be who you are. Turns out people like you best that way, anyway."

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2014, 12:40:38 PM »
Number 9

Oscar the Grouch
 132 Points, 11 of 13 lists, #5 PakMan
First Appearance: Sesame Street
Notable Appearances: A Muppet Family Christmas; Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian
Performer: Caroll Spinney
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Z1SiSUrvUnk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Z1SiSUrvUnk</a>
Bio
Oscar the Grouch is a furry, green Grouch who lives in a trash can on Sesame Street, in between 123 Sesame Street and Big Bird's nest. In fact, he loves trash so much that he's rarely seen outside of his trash can. His trademark song, explaining his passion for refuse, is "I Love Trash".
Like all Grouches, Oscar's mission in life is to be as miserable and grouchy as possible, and pass that feeling on to everyone else. When a visitor knocks on his trash can -- invariably interrupting him from a nap or an important task -- Oscar greets them with a snarl. He complains that he wants to be left alone, although when he's left entirely to himself, he's dissatisfied -- there isn't anybody around to irritate or complain to.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2014, 12:41:20 PM »
Number 8

Beaker
 138 Points, 10 of 13 lists, #5 Anais
First Appearance:The Muppet Show
Notable Appearances: The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, The Muppets Take Manhattan
Performer: Richard Hunt (1977 - 1991); Steve Whitmire (1992 - present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yQj2NP25TIo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yQj2NP25TIo</a>
Bio
Beaker is the hapless assistant to Dr. Bunsen Honeydew. He is a Live-Hand Muppet who made his first appearance in Muppet Labs sketches during the second season of The Muppet Show. Kermit the Frog describes Beaker by saying "If somebody has to get hurt, it's almost always Beaker.
Prior to Beaker's debut, Dr. Honeydew appeared in Muppet Labs segments by himself, but the timid assistant added a new level of comedy to the sketches. Dr. Honeydew's experiments and inventions always seem to go awry, and Beaker is their perpetual victim. He has been shrunk, cloned, punched, deflated, zapped, turned invisible, and blown up, but he always comes back for more.
On The Muppet Show, Beaker has sung "Feelings" and, accompanied by The Swedish Chef and Animal, "Danny Boy."

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2014, 12:41:45 PM »
Number 7

Animal
 149 Points, 10 of 13 lists, #4 Lassieface
First Appearance:
Notable Appearances:
Performer: Frank Oz (1975 - 2000); Eric Jacobson (2002 - present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FKR6T85ghnI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FKR6T85ghnI</a>
Bio
"You don't mess with Animal. He eats glass, man."
- Frank Oz
Animal is the wild drummer on The Muppet Show, performing with Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem. Animal is a crazed percussionist with three styles of music -- loud, louder, and deafening. He speaks in a guttural shout, often repeating a few simple phrases, such as "BEAT DRUMS! BEAT DRUMS!" or "WO-MAN!" In relatively calmer moods, he is capable of more coherent conversation, but these instances are infrequent.
Frank Oz says that he had his character down to five words: Sex, sleep, food, drums and pain. Occasionally, two of those essentials, food and drums, are interchangeable. In The Muppet Movie, Dr. Teeth had to remind Animal to beat, and not eat, his drums. In The Muppet Show episode 110, when asked by Kermit if he preferred drumming to food, Animal replied that drums are food.
It is a popular legend that Animal was inspired by Keith Moon, the wild drummer of the Who. Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac is also sometimes cited as the inspiration for Animal. However, there is no evidence in the original sketches for the character that suggest that he was based on anybody in particular.
However, it's not surprising that Animal is often compared with famous drummers -- as Buddy Rich said in his Muppet Show episode, "All drummers are animals." Animal himself considers Rich one of his musical influences, along with Gene Krupa, Keith Moon of The Who and Ginger Baker of Cream and Blind Faith. The actual drumming for Animal was performed by Ronnie Verrell, a veteran drummer and member of Jack Parnell's house band for The Muppet Show.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #142 on: August 01, 2014, 12:42:08 PM »
Number 6

Cookie Monster
 165 Points, 10 of 13 lists, #1 Kete
First Appearance:Sesame Street
Performer: Frank Oz (1969 - present); David Rudman (2001 - present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dhUFxaauNTE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dhUFxaauNTE</a>
Bio
Cookie Monster is a voracious monster and one of the main characters on Sesame Street. Covered with blue fur and possessing a pair of googly eyes, Cookie Monster has an insatiable appetite. As his name implies, his primary craving is cookies, but he can (and often does) consume anything and everything, from apples and pie to letters, flatware, and hubcaps. When Cookie Monster eats something, he makes a very distinct, loud munching "noise", often interpreted as "OMM-nom-nom-nom..."
Cookie Monster has a deep, growly voice, and generally speaks with simplistic diction, saying everything with "me" - for instance, "Me want cookie!", as opposed to "I want a cookie!" (though in early seasons, Cookie spoke the other way around, and only occasionally would "me" slip in). Cookie occasionally displays an unexpectedly complex vocabulary, however, and is at his most gentrified when in his Alistair Cookie persona, hosting Monsterpiece Theater.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »
Number 5

Swedish Chef
 165 Points, 10 of 13 lists, #1 Kete
Notable Appearances:The Muppet Movie; The Great Muppet Caper; The Muppets Take Manhattan
Performer: Jim Henson (1975 - 1990); Bill Barretta (1996 - Present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sY_Yf4zz-yo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sY_Yf4zz-yo</a>
Bio
The Swedish Chef is the incomprehensible preparer of foodstuffs from The Muppet Show. A rather literal variation of the Live-Hand Muppet concept, the Swedish Chef is a humanoid character, with human hands rather than gloves. On The Muppet Show, Frank Oz performed the character's hands. The chef first appeared in The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence in 1975, with Chinese subtitles for his dialog, and Richard Hunt performing the hands. Only in photo puppets used specifically for photo shoots does the Swedish Chef have standard Muppet hands.
According to Brian Henson in one of his introductions for The Muppet Show, "Jim Henson had this tape that he used to play which was 'How to Speak Mock Swedish'. And he used to drive to work and I used to ride with him a lot. And he would drive to work trying to make a chicken sandwich in Mock Swedish or make a turkey casserole in Mock Swedish. It was the most ridiculous thing you had ever seen. And people at traffic lights used to stop and sort of look at him a little crazy. But that was the roots of the character that would eventually become the Swedish Chef". Jim Henson had previously explored the idea of a funny foreign chef at the US Food Fair that took place in Hamburg, Germany in 1961, where Sam and Friends character Omar prepared a flaming salad while speaking in some quite comprehensible mock German that Henson and Jerry Juhl had previously scribbled down in phonetics.
Nearly all Swedish Chef sketches begin with him in a kitchen, waving some utensils while singing his signature song in a trademark mock Swedish, a semi-comprehensible gibberish which parodies the characteristic vowel sounds of Swedish. The last line of the song is always "Børk! Børk! Børk!" and is punctuated by the Chef throwing the utensils over his shoulder to crash into the crockery behind him. (Although the letter "ø" does not exist in Swedish—it is a Danish/Norwegian letter whose Swedish equivalent is "ö"—the Chef's trademark word is nearly always spelled "Børk.")

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #144 on: August 01, 2014, 12:43:14 PM »
Number 4

Statler and Waldorf
 194 Points, 11 of 13 lists, #1 Relaxing Dragon
Notable Appearances: Muppets Tonight, A Muppet Family Christmas, The Muppet Christmas Carol
Performer: Statler's performer: Richard Hunt (1976 - 1991), Jerry Nelson (1975; 1992 - 2003), Steve Whitmire  (2002 - present)
Waldorf's performer: Jim Henson (1975 - 1990), Dave Goelz (1992 - present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SK6TVqbsKVk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SK6TVqbsKVk</a>
Bio
Statler and Waldorf share the stage left balcony box in the Muppet Theater, and the two delight in heckling every aspect of The Muppet Show. Statler and Waldorf are especially unforgiving to Fozzie Bear. However, it is revealed in A Muppet Family Christmas that the two critics were friends with Fozzie's mother, Ma Bear. They always have the last word, with a final comment at the end of each episode.
Waldorf is the one with the pug-like face, mustache, and whiter hair. In almost all productions, Statler appears on the audience's right and Waldorf on the left. A helpful mnemonic is that Waldorf has the wide face.
Statler and Waldorf first appeared as a pair in the 1975 pilot The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence.
On the first season of Muppets Tonight, Statler and Waldorf are seen watching the show from the living room of what appears to be a retirement home. In the second season, they watch the show on a portable television from various locations, including a golf course and a ski lift.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:08:11 PM by anais.butterfly »

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #145 on: August 01, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »
Number 3

Fozzie Bear
 219 Points, 11 of 13 lists, #1 Darth Geek
Performer: Frank Oz (1976 - 2000); Eric Jacobson (2002 - present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eH2coWVi9Vg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eH2coWVi9Vg</a>
Bio
Fozzie Bear is The Muppet Show's resident comedian. He's an orange-brown, fuzzy Muppet bear who tells bad jokes, usually punctuated with his catchphrase laugh, "Wocka wocka wocka!" Fozzie's best friend is Kermit the Frog, although they occasionally have differences of opinion.
During the first season of The Muppet Show, Fozzie's monologues usually consisted of Fozzie telling simple setup/punchline jokes, while being heckled by his mother's old friends, Statler and Waldorf. After the first season, most of his monologues relied on gimmicks such as telling jokes on roller skates. A common schtick in many episodes is that Fozzie would attempt to imitate the guest star's most famous act to attempt to emulate their success, only to comically fail completely at the attempt. For instance, Edgar Bergen inspired him to try ventriloquism while stage magician Doug Henning inadvertently convinced Fozzie to try his hand at being a magician.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #146 on: August 01, 2014, 12:44:20 PM »
Number 2

Kermit the Frog
 229 Points, 12 of 13 lists, #1 Johnny Unusual
First Appearance:The Muppet Show, Sesame Street
Notable Appearances: All the movies
Performer: Jim Henson (1955 - 1990); Steve Whitmire (1990 - present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/r3Va6aLbLHk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/r3Va6aLbLHk</a>
Bio
Kermit the Frog, arguably Jim Henson's most famous Muppet creation, was the star and host of The Muppet Show, played a significant role on Sesame Street, and served as the logo of The Jim Henson Company. He continues to star in the Muppet movies and makes numerous TV appearances.
Kermit grew up with thousands of siblings, and has talked occasionally about other members of his family. His childhood adventures were chronicled in the 2002 video Kermit's Swamp Years. Kermit also has a nephew named Robin.
Miss Piggy insists that she and Kermit were married in The Muppets Take Manhattan, and that they're very happy. Kermit disagrees, claiming that it was just a movie and that in real life, they have a "professional relationship" (meaning he thinks they're professionals and she thinks they're in a relationship).
Kermit's most well-known catchphrase is "Hi-ho, Kermit the Frog here!" He typically introduced acts on The Muppet Show by waving his arms wildly and shouting "Yaaaay!" (a technique he learned from his old acting coach, Mr. Dawson).
Kermit has been credited as the writer of three books: For Every Child, A Better World; One Frog Can Make a Difference; and Before You Leap.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #147 on: August 01, 2014, 01:06:39 PM »
Number 1

The Great Gonzo
 232 Points, 12 of 13 lists, #1 PakMan, #1 CJones, #1 Anais
Notable Appearances: All the Movies
Performer: Dave Goelz
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6AWhwuPkTcg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6AWhwuPkTcg</a>
Bio
Gonzo, formally known as "The Great Gonzo" or "Gonzo the Great," is the resident daredevil performance artiste on The Muppet Show. He is an odd looking, unclassifiable creature with blue fur, bug eyes, and a long crooked nose. He takes pride in his uniqueness and enjoys everything that he does -- no matter how painful or ill-advised it may be.
The notion of Gonzo, as a character who performs terrible acts but considers them artistic, was devised by Jerry Juhl. As Dave Goelz recalled, the character might have been forgotten were it not for Jack Burns, the show's original head writer, who during an early meeting suggested Gonzo perform "these crazy acts like eating a tire to 'Flight of the Bumblebee!'" So, in the show's first episode, Gonzo did exactly that, and the character grew from there.  Burns also coined the character's name.
Gonzo's acts frequently attempted to combine bizarre performance art with high culture: "I shall now eat a rubber tire to the music of 'The Flight of the Bumblebee'...music, maestro!" Another famous performance is best summed up by his quote, "I shall now defuse this highly explosive bomb while simultaneously, and at the same time, reciting from the works of Percy Bysshe Shelley." Other acts include dancing "Top Hat" in a vat of oatmeal, hypnotizing chickens, and being hammered feet first into a railway tie by two American Gladiators on Muppets Tonight.
Gonzo's musical performances include his song from The Muppet Movie, "I'm Going to Go Back There Someday", and his affecting rendition of "My Way" that he sang as his finale when he decided to leave the Muppet Theater in Episode 411.
Gonzo had a prominent part at the start of each Muppet Show episode, playing the final trumpet note of the opening theme. In each episode, something different would happen -- for example, the trumpet would explode, or spray water, or blow up a balloon. In the first season, Gonzo did not use a trumpet, but instead attempted to hit the white space within the "O" in the "Muppet Show" sign like a gong, usually with bad results.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #148 on: August 01, 2014, 01:09:20 PM »
That's it folks!

Also, are the videos working on your end? They aren't on mine, but that happens on this computer sometimes. If they are not working, my apologies. I don't know what to do to fix them.

Anyway, it's been fun!

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2014, 01:13:05 PM »
Number 10

Big Bird
 120 Points, 9 of 13 lists, #5 Relaxing Dragon, #5 Scott
Also #5 SRD, if you please :P