login

Author Topic: Top 50 Muppets! (LoC #80)  (Read 48621 times)

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1384
  • Monkey Brains!
Re: Top 50 Muppets! (LoC #80)
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2014, 09:32:59 AM »
Number 14

Count Von Count
  99 Points, 8 of 13 lists, #2 Kete
First Appearance: Sesame Street
Performer: Jerry Nelson  (1972 - 2012); Matt Vogel  (2013 - present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2AoxCkySv34" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2AoxCkySv34</a>
Bio
Count von Count is a mysterious but friendly vampire-like Muppet on Sesame Street who is meant to parody Bela Lugosi's portrayal of Count Dracula. He first appeared on the show in the Season 4 premiere in 1972, counting blocks in a sketch with Bert and Ernie.
The Count has a compulsive love of counting (arithmomania); he will count anything and everything, regardless of size, amount, or how much annoyance he causes others around him. In one song he stated that he sometimes even counts himself. When he finishes counting, The Count laughs and announces his total (which sometimes appears on screen). This finale is usually accompanied by a crash of thunder and a flash of lightning. (According to The Sesame Street Bedtime Storybook, the Count has a personal cloud that hovers over his head and provides the thunder and lightning.)[1]
When the Count sings, the music that accompanies him resembles Roma music, no matter what the song.
The Count lives in an old, cobweb-infested castle that he shares with many bats. Sometimes he counts them. Some of the pet bats are named, including Grisha, Misha, Sasha, and Tattiana. He also has a cat, Fatatita, and an octopus named Octavia. He also plays a large pipe organ, and in some illustrations he is seen playing the violin. In recent years, the Count has appeared on each episode to announce the Number of the Day, playing notes on his organ to count up to the featured number.
The Count's most recent girlfriend, Countess von Backwards, is known for counting backwards. He had previously been linked to Countess Dahling von Dahling and shared a brief romantic tryst with Lady Two. His brother and mother have made appearances on the show, and he also has an Uncle Uno.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2014, 09:37:27 AM »
Number 13

Name
 109 Points, 8 of 13 lists, #2 Anais
First Appearance: The Muppet Show
Notable Appearances: The Muppet Movie, The Muppets Take Manhattan, The Muppets, Muppets Most Wanted
Performer: Frank Oz (1976 - 2002); Eric Jacobson  (2001 - present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aRG-Nh2Swbc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aRG-Nh2Swbc</a>
Bio
Miss Piggy is one of the central characters on The Muppet Show. She is a force of nature who developed from a one-joke running gag into a complex, three-dimensional character.
Miss Piggy is a prima-donna pig who is absolutely convinced that she's destined for stardom, and nothing is going to stand in her way. Her public face is the soul of feminine charm, but she can instantly fly into a rage whenever she thinks she's insulted or thwarted. Kermit the Frog has learned this all too well; when she isn't smothering him in kisses, she's sending him flying through the air with a karate-chop.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2014, 09:44:59 AM »
Number 12

Rowlf
 113 Points, 10 of 13 lists, #1 Scott
First Appearance:The Jimmy Dean Show
Notable Appearances: The Muppet Show, The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper
Performer: Jim Henson (1962 – 1990); Bill Barretta (1996 - present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_yaP_kc3y9w" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_yaP_kc3y9w</a>
Bio
Rowlf the Dog is a Muppet character, a scruffy brown dog of indeterminate breed with a rounded black nose and long floppy ears. He was created and originally performed by Jim Henson. Rowlf is the Muppet Theatre's resident pianist, as well as one of the show's supporting cast members. Calm and wisecracking, his humor is characterized as deadpan and as such, is one of few Muppets who is rarely flustered by the show's prevalent mayhem. He is very easy going and a fan of classical music (particularly Beethoven) and musicals.[citation needed]
Though Kermit the Frog is often credited as the icon of Henson's Muppets, Rowlf was actually the first true Muppet "star" as a recurring character on The Jimmy Dean Show, first appearing in a show telecast on September 19, 1963.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6499
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2014, 09:46:22 AM »
I'm just very glad she isn't #1 or 2, like I thought she would be. Miss Piggy is the only Muppet I actively dislike. Although she does occasionally have funny moments like her hilarious bit with John Denver about camping. "Alley-ga-TORS?!"

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2014, 09:54:05 AM »
Number 11

Sam Eagle
 116 Points, 9 of 13 lists, #2 Relaxing Dragon
First Appearance:The Muppet Show
Notable Appearances: The Great Muppet Caper, Muppet Wizard of Oz, Muppets Most Wanted
Performer: Frank Oz (1975-2000); Eric Jacobson (2005-present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/skkM2zPFPy0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/skkM2zPFPy0</a>
Bio
Sam the Eagle is an American eagle who feels his species and role as national symbol have placed certain responsibilities upon his shoulders. He has taken it upon himself to promote and protect wholesome American morals and values, and he works behind the scenes of The Muppet Show as self-appointed censor and advocate of cultural, educational acts such as Wayne and Wanda.
Sam is appalled by the nonsense that passes for entertainment on the series, and does his best to keep things in check, even though his pleas for an end to madness are usually ignored. As noted in the first issue of The Muppet Show Fan Club newsletter, Sam's overpowering burden is to act as the "moral center" of The Muppet Show. He would, in fact, like to concern himself with the morals of the entire world, but "regrets that it takes all his time and energy just to keep up with The Muppet Show."

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2014, 09:54:36 AM »
I'm done for the day. You get the top 10 tomorrow.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2014, 10:15:17 AM »
Yeah, I like both Ernie and Bert but I always preferred Bert.  Also, I had a Bert Christmas ornament as a kid,  it still goes on my parent's tree.

I love Grover.  I don't hate Elmo like other people, but I think Grover is the much more lovable monster and with much more personality.

Also love the Count.  He better show up if we ever do a top 50 vampires list (coming this Halloween, perhaps).

Miss Piggy at number 13?  What a crime.  She's such a great character.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2014, 10:22:09 AM »
Sam Eagle is great. I especially liked his segments when he would give speaches at a podium. His diatribe against "nudity" is brilliant, culminating with him realizing that he himself is naked.

I was very happy when I saw he was going to have a bigger role in Muppets Most Wanted. But ironically his bits with Ty Burrell just didn't really work for me as much as they should have.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 322
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2014, 12:22:58 PM »
"You are all weirdos." -- Sam the Eagle, reading this thread
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My touring group! www.themeparkimprov.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3852
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2014, 01:18:06 PM »
Really thought Miss Piggy would be top 5 at least. Not that she's in MY top 5, but she's such a Muppets staple.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2014, 01:29:04 PM »
We had a discussion about counting Bert and Ernie together on the other thread. For people who ranked them separately, I counted them as one entry for the highest number.

So for Sugar Ray, they got the points for #1. Then Sugar Ray just didn't have an entry for #3.

Ah. I wasn't part of that discussion. JU was the one who tipped me to the existence of this LoC. I can live with this result ;)

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 544
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2014, 02:19:33 PM »
A little sad that Dr. Teeth didn't crack top ten, but top twenty will do. I have always loved the Electric Mayhem and Teeth specifically. His line "Golden teeth and golden tones, welcome to my presence." has stuck with me since I was a little kid, and that gravel-road voice just kills me. Also, "Dr. Teeth & the Electric Mayhem" is the best band name ever, full stop.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2014, 03:14:17 PM »
Damn straight.  Dr. Teeth is like rock n roll incarnate (70's rock in particular).  Plus it's a cool name.  Much better than his actual working title name of Doctor Eltonjohn Dontshoot (the Pianist).

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hAPxsaRB30M" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hAPxsaRB30M</a>

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 544
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2014, 03:36:40 PM »
I did this for fun either early this year or later last year. Always liked how it came out.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2014, 07:19:14 PM »
I am going through The Muppet Show from beginning to end, and made a thread about it:

http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=29279.0