login

Author Topic: Top 50 Muppets! (LoC #80)  (Read 48605 times)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
Re: Top 50 Muppets! (LoC #80)
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2014, 10:26:03 AM »
I think my list had a specific Skeksis on it (the Chamberlain I believe), I wonder if that was counted towards the species as a whole. Which is fine by me, since I love all those creepy, kinda beaky, kinda scaly, kinda feathery bastards.

As for the Yip-Yips, they are just great. Both as surprisingly-simple-yet-effective cosplay outfits and for producing just the right sort of gibberish that can come up organically in conversation with just about anyone, who will then start to chant along with you (be it "noope nope nope nope nope" or "yip yip yip yip").

Also also, I love you Sir Didymus! Best knight there ever was, and probably the only non-Bowie part of that movie that really made an impression on me.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6493
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2014, 04:32:46 PM »
I don't get why people love Sir Didymus. I always found him annoying. Same thing with Reepicheep in that awful TCON: Prince Caspian movie.
I can appreciate not letting your enemy's size make you fearful, but he just leaps headlong into fights without a thought. There's a fine line between bravery and foolishness, and it's about a foot above your head!

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1079
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2014, 08:56:40 PM »
But it's a fox... on a hound...

Yeah, I didn't really like him either.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1384
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2014, 06:24:04 AM »
like Sir Didymus because of his loyalty to Sarah...and because he is a fox riding a dog. LOVE IT!
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2014, 07:02:07 AM »
Number 19

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew*
  87 Points, 8 of 13 lists, #8 Darth Geek
First Appearance: The Muppet Show
Notable Appearances: The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, Muppet Christmas Carol
Performer: Dave Goelz
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4QrelL9fOjY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4QrelL9fOjY</a>
Bio
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew is the resident scientist on The Muppet Show, and the host of the Muppet Labs sketches. In season one of The Muppet Show he worked alone, but in season two, his assistant Beaker was added to the show. Bunsen is always eager to show off his latest scientific discovery, but his excitement about progress tends to render him short-sighted. Beaker usually ends up being harmed by Dr. Honeydew's inventions. Bunsen Honeydew's name comes from the scientific instrument called the Bunsen burner, and the shape of his head, which looks like a honeydew melon.
Bunsen's inventions have included a gorilla detector, exploding clothes, edible paper clips, a banana sharpener, hair-growing tonic, and a machine that can turn gold into cottage cheese.
He has appeared in every Muppet movie, often with a large role contributing to the film's plot. In The Muppet Movie, Kermit the Frog meets Bunsen and Beaker in an old ghost town, where Honeydew shows off his latest invention, "Insta-Grow Pills," which can temporarily make things grow bigger. In The Muppet Christmas Carol, Bunsen and Beaker portray charity workers. In Muppets from Space, Bunsen invents a number of devices for the Muppets to use when they rescue Gonzo.
*The answer to “Who is Beaker’s boss? A question which got Brett killed (Archer reference)

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2014, 07:02:42 AM »
Number 18

Snuffleupagus
  88 Points, 7 of 13 lists, #8 PakMan
First Appearance: Sesame Street
Notable Appearances: Follow the Bird
Performer: Jerry Nelson  (1971 - 1978), Michael Earl (1978 - 1980), Martin P. Robinson (1980 - present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/iHHAQ01eijQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/iHHAQ01eijQ</a>
Bio
Mr. Snuffleupagus is a full-bodied Muppet character who lives with his family in a cave just off of Sesame Street. Snuffleupagus is his species as well as his last name.
His full name is Aloysius Snuffleupagus, although his friends call him Snuffy. He is eternally 4 years old, and celebrates his birthday on August 19. Snuffy's best friend is Big Bird, who he affectionately calls "Bird." His favorite foods are cabbage and spaghetti. In the fifth season premiere, he revealed that he also drinks sasafrass tea. He has a little sister named Alice and a friend named Rosalyn.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2014, 07:03:14 AM »
Number 17

Dr. Teeth
  89 Points, 7 of 13 lists, #1 Mattwnelson
First Appearance:The Muppet Show
Notable Appearances: The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper
Performer: Jim Henson (1975-1990); Bill Barretta (2005-present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8nrSfC76lLI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8nrSfC76lLI</a>
Bio
Dr. Teeth is the leader of the Electric Mayhem, the house band on The Muppet Show. Originally performed by Jim Henson, Dr. Teeth plays the keyboard and is also lead singer of the band. He first appeared in The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence in 1975, and had a prominent role in Muppet productions until Henson's death in 1990.
Dr. Teeth is green-skinned and red-haired with, as his name suggests, a large grinning mouth of teeth, including one gold tooth on his upper jaw. He wears a scruffy beard, a fur vest, a striped shirt, and a floppy purple top hat, though during the 1980s he switched to wearing a black leather vest. He has very long arms so additional puppeteers are required to guide them; this design enabled Henson to work the Teeth puppet while another performer acted as Teeth's "hands" in order to play the keyboard.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2014, 07:04:12 AM »
Number 16

Bert and Ernie
 91 Points, 7 of 13 lists, #1 Sugar Ray Dodge
First Appearance:Sesame Street
Notable Appearance: Follow that Bird
Performer: Bert: Frank Oz (1969 - present); Eric Jacobson  (1997 - present)
Ernie: Jim Henson (1969 - 1990); Steve Whitmire (1993 - present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YpozspIMH9E" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YpozspIMH9E</a>
Bio
Ernie and Bert are two Muppet characters who are major characters on the popular U.S. children's television show Sesame Street that appear together in numerous skits.
Bert is Ernie's best friend and roommate on Sesame Street. The pair share the basement apartment at 123 Sesame Street. In contrast to the practical-joking, extroverted Ernie, Bert is serious, studious, and tries to make sense of his friend's actions. His own passions include reading Boring Stories, collecting paper clips and bottle caps (especially the rare Figgy Fizz), consuming oatmeal, and studying pigeons. While Ernie's best companion outside of Bert is Rubber Duckie, Bert has his pet pigeon, Bernice. True to his detail-oriented, organized mind, Bert is president of the National Association of W Lovers. Unfortunately for Bert, his nose has come off of his face on a number of occasions. He has a distinctive, bleating laugh.
While Ernie has appeared in many of scenes without Bert, Bert has not been seen without Ernie quite so often. Notable exceptions include the songs "Doin' the Pigeon," "The Subway," "Bert's Blanket," and "Stick Out Your Hand and Say Hello" with Rick Moranis, as well as occasional Muppet/Kid scenes, such as discussing emotions with John John.
Ernie has been one of the stars of Sesame Street since its first episode in 1969. Ernie and his best friend Bert share the basement apartment at 123 Sesame Street. Together they form a comic duo that is one of the program's centerpieces, with Ernie acting the role of the naïve trouble-maker and Bert the world-weary foil.
Ernie is well known for his fondness for baths with his Rubber Duckie, and for trying to learn to play the saxophone although he wouldn't "put down the duckie." Ernie is also known for keeping Bert awake at night, for reasons such as wanting to play the drums, wanting to count something (like sheep), to observe something like a blackout, or even because he is waiting for his upstairs neighbor to drop his shoes.
He has a distinctive, chuckling laugh (a trait he shares with his baby cousin Ernestine).
Many Ernie and Bert sketches involve Ernie wanting to play a game with Bert, who would much rather do something else (like read). Ernie keeps annoying Bert with the game until Bert joins in -- and usually, by the time Bert starts enjoying the game, Ernie is tired of playing the game and wants to do something else. Other sketches have involved them sharing some food by dividing it equally, only for one of them to have a bit more than the other, leading Ernie to make it even by eating the extra piece.
Ernie has also frequently made appearances without Bert. He has regularly appeared in skits with Cookie Monster, Sherlock Hemlock and Lefty the Salesman.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2014, 07:04:37 AM »
I will post 15-11 later today :)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2014, 07:51:10 AM »
Bunsen Honeydew is AWESOME! I see a lot of myself in him.
I think the most brilliant part of the Muppet Labs segments is that sometimes his inventions work, and sometimes they don't. The best example of this is the segment which has both Non-flammable Paper, which does NOT work, and catches on fire, and Flammable Water, which DOES work, and catches on fire. To Beeker's detriment, of course.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1567
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2014, 07:53:15 AM »
Can't believe I forgot Dr. Teeth  :'(
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2014, 07:54:54 AM »
And the Dr. Teeth clip anais posted is definitely my favorite song he did.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2014, 08:36:37 AM »
Number 16

Bert and Ernie
 91 Points, 7 of 13 lists, #1 Sugar Ray Dodge
Notable Appearance: Follow that Bird
Performer: Bert: Frank Oz (1969 - present); Eric Jacobson  (1997 - present)
Ernie: Jim Henson (1969 - 1990); Steve Whitmire (1993 - present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YpozspIMH9E" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YpozspIMH9E</a>
Bio
Ernie and Bert are two Muppet characters who are major characters on the popular U.S. children's television show Sesame Street that appear together in numerous skits.
Bert is Ernie's best friend and roommate on Sesame Street. The pair share the basement apartment at 123 Sesame Street. In contrast to the practical-joking, extroverted Ernie, Bert is serious, studious, and tries to make sense of his friend's actions. His own passions include reading Boring Stories, collecting paper clips and bottle caps (especially the rare Figgy Fizz), consuming oatmeal, and studying pigeons. While Ernie's best companion outside of Bert is Rubber Duckie, Bert has his pet pigeon, Bernice. True to his detail-oriented, organized mind, Bert is president of the National Association of W Lovers. Unfortunately for Bert, his nose has come off of his face on a number of occasions. He has a distinctive, bleating laugh.
While Ernie has appeared in many of scenes without Bert, Bert has not been seen without Ernie quite so often. Notable exceptions include the songs "Doin' the Pigeon," "The Subway," "Bert's Blanket," and "Stick Out Your Hand and Say Hello" with Rick Moranis, as well as occasional Muppet/Kid scenes, such as discussing emotions with John John.
Ernie has been one of the stars of Sesame Street since its first episode in 1969. Ernie and his best friend Bert share the basement apartment at 123 Sesame Street. Together they form a comic duo that is one of the program's centerpieces, with Ernie acting the role of the naïve trouble-maker and Bert the world-weary foil.
Ernie is well known for his fondness for baths with his Rubber Duckie, and for trying to learn to play the saxophone although he wouldn't "put down the duckie." Ernie is also known for keeping Bert awake at night, for reasons such as wanting to play the drums, wanting to count something (like sheep), to observe something like a blackout, or even because he is waiting for his upstairs neighbor to drop his shoes.
He has a distinctive, chuckling laugh (a trait he shares with his baby cousin Ernestine).
Many Ernie and Bert sketches involve Ernie wanting to play a game with Bert, who would much rather do something else (like read). Ernie keeps annoying Bert with the game until Bert joins in -- and usually, by the time Bert starts enjoying the game, Ernie is tired of playing the game and wants to do something else. Other sketches have involved them sharing some food by dividing it equally, only for one of them to have a bit more than the other, leading Ernie to make it even by eating the extra piece.
Ernie has also frequently made appearances without Bert. He has regularly appeared in skits with Cookie Monster, Sherlock Hemlock and Lefty the Salesman.
I didn't know we were counting them as a pair, which is totally fine, so I ranked Bert #1 and Ernie #3.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2014, 09:27:03 AM »
We had a discussion about counting Bert and Ernie together on the other thread. For people who ranked them separately, I counted them as one entry for the highest number.

So for Sugar Ray, they got the points for #1. Then Sugar Ray just didn't have an entry for #3.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2014, 09:27:23 AM »
Number 15

Grover
 96 Points, 8 of 13 lists, #8 Kete
Notable Appearances: The Monster at the End of this Book (Best Book Eva!)
Performer: Frank Oz (1970 - present); Eric Jacobson (1998 - present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VnGzpoDK_xQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VnGzpoDK_xQ</a>
Bio
Grover is a Sesame Street character who describes himself as a "cute, furry little monster". Grover rarely uses contractions when speaking, giving him a distinctive vocal pattern, in comparison to many other television characters. His character is multi-talented, taking on many different roles and professions throughout the series' run. He loves to help people, but is extremely bad at it.
Grover appears in several recurring Sesame Street segments, including Waiter Grover; Super Grover; and Global Grover. He also frequently appears in Monsterpiece Theater and the Spanish Word of the Day segments. He was one of the hosts of Play With Me Sesame, with his main roles being in interactive music sequences, as the self-proclaimed "moving and grooving monster".