Author Topic: Top 50 Muppets! (LoC #80)  (Read 47497 times)

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
Re: Top 50 Muppets! (LoC #80)
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2014, 09:22:29 AM »
There's some places that sell Coke with sugar, like grocery stores with a latin foods section.
Yup, Mexican Coke. I order it by the case once a month from my local store. Frigging incredible.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2014, 09:34:17 AM »
That sounds about right. Did one of the main characters get frozen? I think I might have watched up to that point, turned the channel in horror, and never found out that everyone was OK.

Yeah it was Mew, the toy mouse, they pretty much had a funeral for him where he was carted to the side of the room with the other frozen toys on a train, then those toys came back on Christmas morning.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6146
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2014, 09:37:53 AM »
That sounds about right. Did one of the main characters get frozen? I think I might have watched up to that point, turned the channel in horror, and never found out that everyone was OK.

Yeah it was Mew, the toy mouse, they pretty much had a funeral for him where he was carted to the side of the room with the other frozen toys on a train, then those toys came back on Christmas morning.
Yeah, I saw that movie for the first time a few years ago and I really liked it. Except for that part of the ending. That was bullshit.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 831
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2014, 09:56:51 AM »
There's some places that sell Coke with sugar, like grocery stores with a latin foods section.
Yup, Mexican Coke. I order it by the case once a month from my local store. Frigging incredible.

Oh yeah, I remember that from the Top 50 Beverages list (the first list I contributed to).

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2014, 03:20:38 PM »
That clip with the Muppet Newsman segments didn't include my favorite. Which was just him coming in "Here's a Muppet News Flash" and the paper he is holding quickly goes up in flames. "There it was, folks."

Also, I don't know where SRD got those descriptions (probably the Muppet Wiki), but this was hilarious:
but due to either dedication to his craft or a limited sense of self-preservation, the Newsman keeps plugging along.

The Bios are from Muppet Wiki, and I didn't see that Muppet News Flash you mentioned, but please post it if you find it :)
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2014, 03:21:09 PM »
Number 24

Sir Didymus
  57 Points, 3 of 13 lists, #3 Anais
First Appearance:Labyrinth
Performer: Dave Goelz  (puppeteer); David Barclay (puppeteer); David Shaughnessy (voice)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rUYib78wuiU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rUYib78wuiU</a>
Bio
Sir Didymus is a fox-terrier in Labyrinth, as specified by the presskit, who believes he is a great and chivalrous knight. He has a canine steed named Ambrosius, and has the job of guarding the bridge that crosses over the Bog of Eternal Stench.
Didymus is brave to a fault, being the first to rush into a dangerous situation and the last to back out (if he ever does back out), with no regard at all to personal safety. He follows a strict chivalric code and once he sets his mind to something, one would be hard-pressed to get him to stop (although asking nicely seems to work).
Didymus is not one of Jareth's underlings. After some persuasion from Sarah, he and Ambrosius joined her group of comrades, referring to her as "my lady."

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2014, 03:21:48 PM »
Number 23

Pepe the King Prawn
  59 Points, 5 of 13 lists, #1 Lassieface
First Appearance:Muppets Tonight
Notable Appearances: Muppets from Space, Muppets Most Wanted
Performer: Bill Barretta
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Pa_HT9vQiLw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Pa_HT9vQiLw</a>
Bio
Pepe the King Prawn, whose full name is Pepino Rodrigo Serrano Gonzales, started life in Madrid, Spain. He worked as a chef, before moving to Hollywood and following his true calling in show business. In a TVGuide.com chat in 1999, he remarked, "There were one too many close calls in the kitchen. I was mistaken for an appetizer, okay."
The four-armed Pepe is very proud of being a king prawn, and takes great offense if anyone refers to him as a shrimp ("I am not a shrimp! I am a king prawn, okay?"). He speaks with a heavy Spanish accent, often punctuating his sentences with "...okay?" Due to his sometimes impenetrable accent, Pepe calls the Muppets "Muffins" or "Muppens", and he regularly calls Kermit "Kermin", Fozzie Bear "Fotzie", and Rizzo "Ritzo". He also referred to Scooter as "Scooper" in The Muppets' Wizard of Oz and promos for Muppets Most Wanted. He doesn't even pronouce Walter correctly, and instead calls him "Howard."
Pepe is in love with Hollywood, and expects he will earn several Oscar nominations (for good looks, acting and choreography. And foley.). His influences include Dick van Dyke, Marlon Brando, Ruth Buzzi, Topo Gigio, and Mighty Mouse.  He has also referred to Ricky Martin on at least two separate occasions. In his TVGuide.com chat, he challenged the pop star to a sing-off, and in It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, he was invited to shake his "bon bons" at Ricky Martin's South Beach Christmas party.
Pepe is the author of the book It's Hard Out Here for a Shrimp.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2014, 03:22:21 PM »
Number 22

Janice
  61 Points, 7 of 13 lists, #6 Anais
First Appearance:The Muppet Show
Notable Appearances: The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, The Muppets Take Manhattan
Performer: Richard Hunt  (1977 - 1991); David Rudman (2008 - present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hsG5p-Hsmrg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hsG5p-Hsmrg</a>
Bio
Janice is the lead guitar player in the Electric Mayhem on The Muppet Show. She also portrays Nurse Janice in Veterinarian's Hospital, and appears in various other sketches, frequently as a chorus member. She is occasionally seen in the orchestra during the fifth season of the show. She has a very close relationship with the Electric Mayhem's bass player, Floyd Pepper (although, in the first season of The Muppet Show, she's involved with Zoot in the At the Dance sketch).
In addition to the guitar, Janice has also played the tambourine with the Mayhem, and the trumpet or trombone with the orchestra. In personality, Janice is generally laid-back, noted for her Valley girl "Fer sure" and "Rully" dialogue and behavior (such as tanning herself in The Great Muppet Caper). Twice in the Muppet movies, when caught short during a loud and confusing group discussion, Janice has inadvertently revealed her attitudes towards nudity. In The Great Muppet Caper, she's interrupted while justifying a willingness to walk along the beach naked to her mother, while in The Muppets Take Manhattan, she claims that she doesn't pose naked, "even if it is artistic." Janice also has an affinity for baking, at least during the holidays: in A Muppet Family Christmas, she makes Christmas cookies that are eaten by Cookie Monster, while she brings cupcakes to the party in A Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa. She lists Tina Turner and Joan Jett among her musical influences, and Weezer and OK Go as some of her favorite current bands.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2014, 03:22:46 PM »
Number 21

The Yip Yips (The Martians)
  66 Points, 5 of 13 lists, #3 Relaxing Dragon
First Appearance: Sesame Street
Notable Appearances: Elmopalooza
Performer: Multiple performers have taken on the characters, including Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, Richard Hunt, Martin P. Robinson, Kevin Clash, David Rudman, Julianne Buescher, John Tartaglia, Eric Jacobson,Matt Vogel and Leslie Carrara-Rudolph.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4qxWGr8VhzQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4qxWGr8VhzQ</a>
Bio
The Martians, sometimes called "the Yip-Yips", are interplanetary visitors, presumed to be from the planet Mars, who are terrified by things like clocks, telephones and computers on Sesame Street. They rarely come face-to-face with other characters on the show.
In their skits, these creatures, with squid-like tentacles, large eyes, and antennae, materialize into a room and converse with each other in their native tongue: "Yip-yip-yip-yip... Uh-huh. Uh-huh," done in monotone voices. They often come across common objects and, curious as to their names and functions, the Martians will consult a book presumably containing information about things on Earth. In one skit, for example, the Martians call a computer a television and a typewriter before deciding what it actually is.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2014, 03:23:24 PM »
Number 20

Skeksis
  66 Points, 5 of 13 lists, #4 CJones
First Appearance: The Dark Crystal
Performer: Various
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WVIrGONcCu4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WVIrGONcCu4</a>
Bio
The Skeksis is the villainous race in The Dark Crystal, one of two species to emerge when the Crystal cracked and divided the urSkeks.
The creatures are described in detail in the book The Making of the Dark Crystal: "For every Mystic there was a corresponding Skeksis... The Skeksis had control of the castle where the Crystal was kept; in its chamber they practiced their evil arts, hating each other as much as they hated the rest of the world."
Possessing all of the negative attributes of society, and none of the positive ones, the Skeksis live out a superficial existence of intrigue and plots against each other while struggling to retain their grip on Thra. They keep essence-drained Podlings as slaves, have their own personal army in the Garthim, and absolutely despise Gelflings, a race they think they have completely exterminated. There were originally eighteen Skeksis, but by the time of the Great Conjunction when they rejoined the Mystics, only eight remained. Skeksis is both singular and plural, but the plural form is pronounced 'Skek-sees'.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4719
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2014, 03:39:40 PM »
Number 20

Skeksis
  66 Points, 5 of 13 lists, #4 CJones
First Appearance: The Dark Crystal
Performer: Various
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WVIrGONcCu4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WVIrGONcCu4</a>
Bio
The Skeksis is the villainous race in The Dark Crystal, one of two species to emerge when the Crystal cracked and divided the urSkeks.
The creatures are described in detail in the book The Making of the Dark Crystal: "For every Mystic there was a corresponding Skeksis... The Skeksis had control of the castle where the Crystal was kept; in its chamber they practiced their evil arts, hating each other as much as they hated the rest of the world."
Possessing all of the negative attributes of society, and none of the positive ones, the Skeksis live out a superficial existence of intrigue and plots against each other while struggling to retain their grip on Thra. They keep essence-drained Podlings as slaves, have their own personal army in the Garthim, and absolutely despise Gelflings, a race they think they have completely exterminated. There were originally eighteen Skeksis, but by the time of the Great Conjunction when they rejoined the Mystics, only eight remained. Skeksis is both singular and plural, but the plural form is pronounced 'Skek-sees'.

That scene freaked me out when I was a kid.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 831
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »
Interesting fact about the Skeksis. They originally had their own language. But the studio decided that having the Skeksis speak in subtitles would hurt their core demographic. I can't say I blame them for that.

However, there are a few scenes that were recorded before this decision was made.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qUryY7oN7kg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qUryY7oN7kg</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5613
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2014, 04:23:55 PM »
I didn't include any of the creature workshop creatures but I might have if I remembered Sir Didymus.  The Yip Yips didn't make my list either but they were on my top 50 aliens list from way back when.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2014, 07:31:48 AM »
I must be the only contributor who didn't have a single Dark Crystal entry on his list. That's okay, though, to each his own. I was more focused on A Christmas Toy and Muppet Family Christmas.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1353
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2014, 07:36:48 AM »
Late on this but Wayne and Wanda (as well as the Newsman) I think started my love of dark comedy, still remember laughing as 'church people' died in a variety of ways.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)