login

Author Topic: RT Live!: Sharknado - Discussion  (Read 18964 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1514
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: RT Live!: Sharknado - Discussion
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 11:51:04 AM »
With more and more of the live shows being bigger budget "Never going to be out on VOD" shows, I would LOVE if they offered an mp3 version of the live show.  (Just the riffers & crowd mics, not the movie audio.)  I would gladly pay an extra buck for it over a studio version.

Offline waitingforgo

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 12:12:42 PM »
the Arrogant Worms
the Doubleclicks
Marian Call
Paul and Storm
Weird Al
Jonathan Coulton

Do you know which songs?

When I realized that I was actually going to care about the music, I tried making notes as best I could.

Here's what I got:

Weird Al -- "White and Nerdy"
The Arrogant Worms -- "Billy The Theme Park Shark"
Rifftones -- "When a Man Loves a Shark (Love Theme From Jaws)"
Jonathan Coulton -- "Furry Old Lobster (Live Version)"
Weird Al -- "Nature Trail to Hell in 3-D"

I don't know what Doubleclicks song they did ("Coming Home to You"?), and I didn't catch the Marian Call or Paul and Storm songs.

Offline mechanikism

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
I felt like this one was a little rough, and it was entirely because of the movie. Sharknado didn't take itself seriously enough to be a truly bad movie, and wasn't self-aware enough to be a good-bad-movie. I think Godzilla will be a lot better, and it'll probably be for the best if 'supposed to be be bad on purpose' movies are avoided going forward since they never hit their mark (like many 'supposed to be good' movies, which end up great for riffing).

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2014, 03:31:44 PM »
Augh, I didn't realize there was going to be no VOD of this! Well, if they release a studio version, I guess I'll have to buy it. A buddy of mine went with me, and he had never seen a RTL before. We had an absolute blast; ended up hanging out after and watching some of the old shorts.
We have been darn lucky so far to never experience audio or sound issues as far as I can tell in any of the RTL events. Thought it was great. Laughed long and hard at most of the jokes. The film was completely incomprehensible; what a narrative mess.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2014, 05:19:49 PM »
the Arrogant Worms
the Doubleclicks
Marian Call
Paul and Storm
Weird Al
Jonathan Coulton

Do you know which songs?

When I realized that I was actually going to care about the music, I tried making notes as best I could.

Here's what I got:

Weird Al -- "White and Nerdy"
The Arrogant Worms -- "Billy The Theme Park Shark"
Rifftones -- "When a Man Loves a Shark (Love Theme From Jaws)"
Jonathan Coulton -- "Furry Old Lobster (Live Version)"
Weird Al -- "Nature Trail to Hell in 3-D"

I don't know what Doubleclicks song they did ("Coming Home to You"?), and I didn't catch the Marian Call or Paul and Storm songs.

They did a full list during the credits, so if you attend the rebroadcast, you'll see all the songs used. And the Doubleclicks' song was "Can't You See the World is Ending?"

(Post encore note) The Marian Call song was "Shark Week"   Didn't catch the Paul and Storm song.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 12:15:22 AM by Compound »

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2014, 06:10:15 PM »
I felt like this one was a little rough, and it was entirely because of the movie. Sharknado didn't take itself seriously enough to be a truly bad movie, and wasn't self-aware enough to be a good-bad-movie. I think Godzilla will be a lot better, and it'll probably be for the best if 'supposed to be be bad on purpose' movies are avoided going forward since they never hit their mark (like many 'supposed to be good' movies, which end up great for riffing).

Well, the riffing towards the movie wasn't entirely "this movie is painful" antagonistic. It seemed more like they were just making fun of the movie like you and your buddies might do sitting down to watch this.  Just plain making fun of it, they didn't delve (too much) into the poor acting or effects they just made fun of it the same way any group of people would sitting down and watching this at home.

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2014, 08:15:45 PM »

I'd agree with that comment...but a theater of people laughing solidly for 2 hours sort of defeats it. There wasn't one face not smiling after the show that I saw.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:19:12 PM by CHF01 »

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2014, 08:30:05 PM »
Augh, I didn't realize there was going to be no VOD of this! Well, if they release a studio version, I guess I'll have to buy it. A buddy of mine went with me, and he had never seen a RTL before. We had an absolute blast; ended up hanging out after and watching some of the old shorts.
We have been darn lucky so far to never experience audio or sound issues as far as I can tell in any of the RTL events. Thought it was great. Laughed long and hard at most of the jokes. The film was completely incomprehensible; what a narrative mess.

I'm a little confused as to why I was quoted here. :D

I didn't see it, and probably won't see the encore. I may get the MP3 version someday if I get a promo code so I don't actually spend any money on it... but really all I'd want to see in the live show is the short and Trace and/or Beez if they focused on them at all in the audience.  I'm sure it was fun, but whatever.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2014, 09:20:39 PM »

I'd agree with that comment...but a theater of people laughing solidly for 2 hours sort of defeats it. There wasn't one face not smiling after the show that I saw.

I'm a little confused as to why I was quoted here. :D

Fixed my post above

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2014, 10:21:26 AM »
What were the digital goodies?  I typed what I thought Mike said to type, and all I see are three versions of the same clip, from shark attack 3.  Nothing else. Am  I missing anything?
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2014, 11:51:54 AM »
What were the digital goodies?  I typed what I thought Mike said to type, and all I see are three versions of the same clip, from shark attack 3.  Nothing else. Am  I missing anything?

That's what I got when I typed in what I thought was the code.  Guess I'm missing something too.

Offline eegah

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 300
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2014, 02:20:08 PM »
I wish I could find a pic of the "salt the earth" pre-show slide. I had no idea the tomatometer rating was so high. "Salt the earth", indeed.

Nevermind, found it! This guy has a bunch of them on his twitter feed: https://twitter.com/JadedSkeptic/media
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:57:42 PM by eegah »

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1514
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2014, 05:00:15 PM »
Sorry. I was running a little late and wasn't able to get the slide pics like I normally do.

Offline Kilmeister

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2014, 12:40:32 AM »
"The Man With The Yellow Hat" Slide got a huge reception at my theatre. Spring fever was a fun revisit as it was one of my favorite shorts from MST3K.  The Godzilla and Sharknado 2 previews were pretty... Meh. It was an expiriment, but I think they'd be better off doing another short, or maybe another musical guest or something. But,  I had a great time watching them riff Sharknado. Started kinda slow, but by the end the whole crowd was in stitches.  I had tried watching the movie once before but I was unable to get through the stupidity.  The Rifftrax crew made it a real joy to watch.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
The, "You know what, just keep her." Taken slide got a good reaction from my audience.