Author Topic: Top 50 Sci-Fi TV Series Countdown (LoC #79)  (Read 32869 times)

Offline Lunquewill

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 17
Re: Top 50 Sci-Fi TV Series Countdown (LoC #79)
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2014, 12:32:14 PM »
And in the 5th Ep of HHGG, you can see Peter Davidson, then the 5th Doctor Who, playing the part of a mutant cow that is explaining its various body parts that are on the menu and David Prowse, who had played the body of Darth Vader in the movie Star Wars, play the role of Hotblack Desiato's bodyguard.

MightyJack

« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2014, 12:58:20 PM »
So many great JLU eps, I loved the Question/Huntress stuff. I also liked Warren Ellis' "Dark Heart", which had my favorite line, from the Atom - “I'm going to lay here for a while, Katie. I’m old now, and I get tired.” ha ha! As a tired old fart, I like  superhero who says stuff like that.

In addition to spacey, Outer Limits could also be terrifying (those Zanti Misfits freaked me out when I was a kid, still love 'me. Architects, Corpus Earthling... some good scares with them) - And yeah, Demon With the Glass hand was incredible. I also liked The Man Who Was Never Born, The Galaxy Being and Bellero Shield to name only a few

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5831
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2014, 01:20:47 PM »
Number 22
57 Points, 6 of 18 lists, #12 CJones
  There's life out here, Dad. Weird, amazing, psychotic life.  And death.  In Technicolor. Hey, Dad, you know those rattlers in the stomach we talked about? Well, I've got them now.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tzRFARUa3c4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tzRFARUa3c4</a>

The Premise
Astronaut John Crichton has accidentally fallen into a wormhole while testing an experimental test craft and finds himself flung far across the universe, where he is discovered by a living ship of fugitives, that includes the ship’s pilot, a disgraced warrior, an overthrown ruler and a priestess.  Soon, Crichton helps the team escape from the Peacekeepers, a military organization comprised of a race of human looking aliens, and finds himself hunted after killing a high ranking soldier’s brother.  Now John tries to find a while home while staying one step ahead of the Peacekeepers.

Great Episode
Revenging Angel
One of the recurring plot lines in the series is Harvey, neural clone of the villain Scorpius who lives in John Crichton’s mind and has a complicated relationship with Crichton.  He lives in Crichton’s mind so he has a vested interested in help John survive, but he is undeniably evil, trying to be the devil on Crichton’s shoulder.  When John gets knocked unconscious by crewmate D’Argo, he finds himself in a coma dream where Harvey tries to convince John to seek revenge.  John decides to subvert this plot and creates a cartoon world in his mind, where they play out Looney Tunes-style violence.  One of the many episodes that take place in John’s mind, this one presents a crazy deviation from the norm that works.

Big Ideas   
The show certainly had a history of messing with its characters’ minds, often driving them insane or trapping them in a nightmare world.  In “Crackers Don’t Matter”, the show has fun with these ideas for an episode that is both fun and quite dark, as a new force field on the ship is slowly driving the crew insane.  Paranoia tearing people apart is a classic sci-fi trope and it gets used well here, as we see these characters we are familiar with turning on each other.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2911
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2014, 02:57:24 PM »
I never think of Hitchhiker's as a series, it was only 6 episodes, and I often watch them all in a row like a movie, so I didn't think of it for my list.  Glad others put it on theirs.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2014, 05:12:58 PM »
 Love HHGG, as radio and novels. The tv and stage versions are simply okay for me.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2014, 05:27:13 PM »
Number 21
57 Points, 6 of 18 lists, #5 Johnny Unusual
  I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tra3Zi5ZWa0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tra3Zi5ZWa0</a>

The Premise   
After a spy resigns, he finds himself kidnapped and taken to the Village.  It is beautiful and friendly.  And there is no escape.  Not from the guards, or the strange bubbles (are they alive?) or the games of the village.  They call him Number 6.   But he is not a number.  He is a free man.  And he will prove it too him.  The island wants information.  Really, only one piece really.  “Why did you resign?”  But more importantly, they want him to submit.  To break.  To accept the island.  The prisoner tries to escape but every attempt is thwarted.  But soon, the prisoner finds that the best way to defeat the village may be to let them come to him…

Great Episode
 Hammer Into Anvil
This was a tough choice, but while there are better episodes (the final are amazing stuff), I have a lot of affection for this episode that demonstrates the sea change in the series.  In half of the episodes, the prisoner’s escape plan is defeated, and though he remains defiant, they end on down notes.  But the other half involves him turning the tables on the Village’s games.  Here, he meets this episode’s Number Two, who the prisoner takes an immediate disliking too.  While the other Number Twos are sinister, this guy is an overt bully and his clumsy, tactless style lead to a member of the Village committing suicide.

This Number Two also vows to pound the prisoner, like a hammer into anvil.  However, Number Two missed the flaw in his logic: a hammer will give out before a hammer.  There is so much fun in watching Patrick McGoohan bedevil the bad guy in this one and is one of the character’s few overwhelming victories in the series.

Big Ideas   
In “A. B. and C.”, it puts a spin on the idea that someone reading your mind is a disadvantage.  After all, people can lie to themselves so a person reading that lie might confuse it with the truth.  In this, Number Two decides to find the Prisoner’s secret direct from the source: his mind.  They use a machine that can project dreams and make him play out a scenario that might cause him to reveal his secret.  But when the Prisoner starts to catch on, he does what he does best: mess with the system and turn its own plan against them.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2014, 05:33:59 PM »
That's it for tonight.  10 more tomorrow including a one season wonder, long-running shows, cartoons, more than one series where religion is a big part of it and all sorts of other fun stuff.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2014, 06:56:35 PM »
Ok I better add the Prisoner to my rental list too.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2014, 07:15:19 PM »
I disagree.  It really did resolve but the show wasn't about answering question about what is literally happening, but rather what is going on in a battle of an individual versus society, which is given a definitive answer.  In the end...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't get me wrong, the Prisoner did have a few weak and so/so episodes.  There is one clearly designed to try to hide the fact that Patrick McGoohan was filming a movie that is pretty darn bad.  But mostly, the best episodes stuck with me and it played with convention in a way that was ahead of it's time (Living In Harmony tries to think you into thinking that it's a different show that is almost the same show, but in the old west).

Also, can we agree that Leo McKern was easily the BEST Number Two?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2014, 09:57:56 PM »
I dunno, I guess I think of The Prisoner as more magic realism than science fiction.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1377
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2014, 11:17:45 PM »
I never think of Hitchhiker's as a series, it was only 6 episodes, and I often watch them all in a row like a movie, so I didn't think of it for my list.  Glad others put it on theirs.

Same
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Soguru

« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2014, 11:42:50 PM »
Speaking of the prisoner has anybody seen Prisoner Zero lately?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2014, 04:24:05 AM »
Number 20
62 Points, 4 of 18 lists, #3 Tripe
  Do you not like me with my clown?
I can see I make you frown.   
When on Earth will all this end?
I'm your friend, your only friend.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yIMP6-KBSCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yIMP6-KBSCs</a>

The Premise
Sam Tyler is a London police officer who has just been hit by a car.  Waking up, he realizes that he is now 23 years in the past.  Even stranger, though no one knows him, it seems as though he was expected as a new transfer to his precinct.  Unsure whether it is a coma dream or literal time travel, Sam tries to make the best of his new world, a cop from a different time were the rules are very different.

Great Episode
Take a Look at the Lawman
Sam Tyler has finally started to become accustomed to his new life.  He’s learned to do things the old way while introducing some crime solving techniques that won’t be accepted for years to come.  He’s even introduced the idea of putting a TV in a pub.  But when Sam Tyler finally meets the father he never knew, he finds that he is involved in a murder case that he needs to get to the bottom of.  It’s been a while since I’ve seen season one, so it was a bit tough to pick an episode (though I remembered the football hooligan’s episode had a bit of speechifying at the end that soured it a bit for me), but I remember this one is being good.  Also, ALL of them have the character of Gene Hunt.  So you really can’t lose.

Big Ideas   
It’s interesting, because it is mainly a cop show with the big idea not being episode specific, since most of them are cases, but the first episode really does a great job introducing it.  It’s great because it isn’t just a time travel show, but it also toys with cop show conventions, in which the main character is the one cop on the force who isn’t a loose cannon.  All the other guys are good men, but they are more than willing to put the rules aside if it means protecting their city, which put doesn’t sit well with 21st century Sam Tyler, who is much more focused on detail than busting heads.  A weird mix of the worlds of Dirty Harry (or if you are British, The Sweeney) and CSI.

The other tactic I like was predicting audience expectations.  It would be obvious to reveal it as a coma dream or the afterlife, but here it sets up contradictions on both ends: Sam realizes it’s far too real and detailed to be a dream (or at least a normal dream) but there are voices and visions that must come from his loved ones over his body.  Also, there’s the test pattern girl.  Terrifying.

Soguru

« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2014, 05:55:09 AM »
John Simm.... absolutely brilliant.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2014, 06:04:16 AM »
Phil Glenister is all sorts of awesome too, the whole cast really.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dCVE3JfypiE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dCVE3JfypiE</a>
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 06:09:25 AM by Tripe »