login

Author Topic: Top 50 Sci-Fi TV Series Countdown (LoC #79)  (Read 33074 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5879
  • Mr. Robot
Re: Top 50 Sci-Fi TV Series Countdown (LoC #79)
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »
Number 27
53 Points, 3 of 18 lists, #1 Pak Man
  Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u_7ou27JwxM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u_7ou27JwxM</a>

The Premise
Brilliant, alcoholic and mentally unwell scientist Rick Sanchez has decided to finally start spending more time with his family.  He decides to take his grandson Morty under his wing and show him a world of wonders and discovery.  Or nihilism, horror and disturbing images.  Ah, whatever works, I suppose.

Great Episode
Rixty Minutes
When the family learns there is a way to see to other realities, the family becomes obsessed with watching other worlds.  The premise is an excuse for all sorts of fun gags, but there is also more going on with this one, particularly when Beth discovers that her parents really happier if she was never born, which leads to a brilliant speech that is both touching and bleak.  Definitely a winner.

Big Ideas   
In “Lawnmower Dog”, the show explores the question: what do dreams dream about?  What begins as an Inception parody gets a lot more complicated when it turns out that the characters can “Incept” into the characters in the dreams, who turn out to have complex lives of their own.  Even a Freddy Krueger-ripoff reveals his own insecurities and personal issues that cause him to lash out.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2014, 05:03:33 PM »
I'm sad I neglected to include Rick and Morty, just a delightfully horrible show. :)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2917
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2014, 05:11:21 PM »
Amazon Prime has Orphan Black, started watching it.  Seems like a good show, I might continue watching it, but I wouldn't call it science fiction.  Fiction that has a smidgen of science thrown in is not science fiction.  Unless things change drastically later on it would be like calling Sherlock science fiction.

Rick and Morty is another one I haven't heard of.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 312
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2014, 05:44:19 PM »
Amazon Prime has Orphan Black, started watching it.  Seems like a good show, I might continue watching it, but I wouldn't call it science fiction.  Fiction that has a smidgen of science thrown in is not science fiction.  Unless things change drastically later on it would be like calling Sherlock science fiction.

Rick and Morty is another one I haven't heard of.

A good portion of it takes place in a genetics lab. That's pretty science-y. Clones are full-on science. SCIENCE!
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My touring group! www.themeparkimprov.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2014, 05:48:04 PM »
I'm sad I neglected to include Rick and Morty, just a delightfully horrible show. :)

I almost forgot, even though I'm reminded every time I go here.

As much as I love the Meeseeks (they actually do something funny with the intentionally annoying character), and as awesome as the Cronenbergs are, I think the best episode (so far) is when Summer is working for the Devil.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2014, 08:03:16 PM »
Number 26
53 Points, 4 of 18 lists, #7 Pak Man
  Autobots, transform and roll out!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nLS2N9mHWaw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nLS2N9mHWaw</a>

The Premise   
Two warring factions of a race of alien robots crash to Earth during a battle and are left dormant for millions of years.  When they finally awaken, they continue their war anew, using terrestrial vehicles, objects and animals as the basis for disguises to assimilate into the planet until it is time to fight.

Great Episode
The Ultimate Doom
This three-parter features some hot robot-on-robot action (OOOOOOOOOOH, YEEEEEEEEEAH) and is just plain fun to watch while playing with your toys and eating Count Chocula.  In it, Megatron’s latest plot involves mind control and replacing Cybertron near the Earth.

Big Ideas   
“More Than Meets the Eye” shows that robot wars work a bit differently than human ones, as the war put on hold for a million years before they are reawakened.  BTW, I was always bothered by the fact that Cybertron could give a crap that these guys were missing for a million years.  Even for robots, that’s got to be a big deal.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2014, 08:04:13 PM »
Sorry, I guess today and tomorrow also only have five items per list.  Don't worry, we will be finished by Monday.

MightyJack

« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2014, 10:30:45 PM »
I watched the first season of Orphan Black and it started off red hot, but then morphed into this kind of comedy soap opera thingamabob and it lost me. There were still some intense moments and the acting was great, but just wasn't my cuppa.

Fringe I thought was a bit so/so at the first season, but it had enough there to get me to return for the second... which was one of the best seasons of any show in any genre in any era.  The 3rd season was good, the fourth was back to brilliant, with a great, bittersweet final episode

I'm not a science guy, I'm a character and story guy and while I liked the freaky, it was the characters, especially Walter (all hail Walter!) that was the glue. The series was about about loss and hope, love and family, redemption and sacrifice, as well as the exploration and creation of the impossible (simply, to quote Walter- "because it's cool"). All of these elements are what made Fringe special.

My hero. If we ever do a "Great characters of sci-fi TV" he'd be at the top of my list.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:35:18 PM by George Harrison »

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2014, 12:01:32 AM »
I watched the first season of Fringe, and ever since it's been on my list of 'watch the whole thing when it's done', which really means I should go add it to my rental queue now.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3699
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2014, 12:23:07 AM »
One of the many things I love about Rick and Morty is how you think you have it figured out after watching the first episode. Mad Scientist takes his young ward on inappropriate adventures and hilarity ensues. And that probably would have been enough, but then you start watching and getting way more depth and character development than the premise entails. By the end of the first season, you have watched a very different show than you expected. The premise is still there, and it's still hilarious, but it was all way more intelligent than you thought it was going to be.

MightyJack

« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2014, 01:19:56 AM »
Well now I'm curious about Rick and Morty... I'll have to check out some eps.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2014, 08:18:36 AM »
Number 25
55 Points, 5 of 18 lists, #5 George Harrison
  There is nothing wrong with your television set.  Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8CtjhWhw2I8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8CtjhWhw2I8</a>

The Premise
These are tales that explore the world beyond what we know today and explore the possibilities that lie in the outer limits of the human imagination.  Each episode presents a new story, most of which include a “bear” (some sort of monster or boogey man) and involve tales of time travel, first contact and whatever lies beyond.

Great Episode
Demon With a Glass Hand
An episode so good, that it was one of the two episodes that inspired Terminator (the other being Soldier)and is the only story that the guys who are trying to make an Outer Limits movie want to adapt (just call it Demon With a Glass Hand!).  Trent was born 10 days ago.  He has a hand made of glass.  It talks to him.  And he’s trapped in building with an aliens hunting him.  With a fantastic Harlan Ellison script (the man can be prickly but he’s a hell of a writer), it starts with a premise that immediately grabs you and doesn’t disappoint.

Big Ideas   
“The Architects of Fear” also inspired a classic in the sci-fi cannon, this time the ending to the comic book epic Watchmen.  In this episode, a secret cabal of scientists decide to avert nuclear apocalypse by creating a threat so great that the nations of the world will band together in defense of it.  So they begin to fake an alien invasion, with one of the scientists receiving surgery to become an “alien monster”, but when things go wrong, it becomes apparent that fear might not bring people closer together…

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2917
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2014, 09:33:25 AM »
I should have put The Outer Limits on my list, I suppose it was more sci-fi than Twilight Zone.  But I don't remember it all that well, haven't watched it since it was in reruns in the 70s.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2014, 10:54:19 AM »
Number 24
57 Points, 4 of 18 lists, #7 Johnny Unusual
  They're the best ever. Not because they're the most powerful - they aren't. Not all of them. And it's not just because they were the first. It's because they're special. They've proven it time and again. They make the hard choices, they set the example. They do what's right, not what's easiest. And they always come out on top.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wQ-GAxE6RD4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wQ-GAxE6RD4</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Sa2jYn3LmlE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Sa2jYn3LmlE</a>

The Premise
The world’s greatest super-heroes come together to stop threats to the Earth and begin to grow as a team and as friends.  However, after a particularly devastating alien invasion that threatens to tear the team apart, they rebuild, creating an army of heroes from all over the world.  Hey, even Aztek is in there.  Neat.

Great Episode
I’ll pick two, one for each version

Legends
Season one was a bit rougher than what came after, but “Legends” was a sign of what was to come.  When 4 members of the team are transported to an alternate reality, they find an idyllic 1940’s style town under attack from some very hammy super-villains.  Soon, the Justice League discover this world has heroes known as the Justice Guild.  After an initial fight (its super-heroes, after all) the teams become fast friends despite their differences.  But soon, the team starts to realize there’s something deeply wrong with this world.  A perfect love letter to golden age comics with a poignant ending.

Question Authority/Flashpoint/Panic in the Sky/Divided We Fall
In this four-part epic that finishes the season long story, the Justice League goes head to head with Cadmus, who have teamed with Lex Luthor.  When Cadmus realize they’ve been betrayed by Luthor, they team with the League, only to learn something that leaves even Luthor shocked (one of the biggest “Holy Shit” moments in any super-hero cartoon).  We also get to see some Question (always good) and several huge and emotionally engaging League battles.

Big Ideas   
Here’s one that spans both series.  In “A Better World”, the League meets versions from another dimension.  But these aren’t just evil doubles like the Crime Syndicate; these people are zealots.  With the League captured, the team is forced to escape a paradise that lives under the totalitarian rule of Justice Lords (what they do to the Joker is creepy genius).

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2014, 12:05:08 PM »
Number 23
57 Points, 4 of 18 lists, #5 Pak Man
  Don’t Panic.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Zc3C8w7y7H0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Zc3C8w7y7H0</a>

The Premise
Arthur Dent is a man who is worried that his house is about to be demolished.  He should be more worried that his planet is about to be demolished.  Before Earth is destroyed, his good friendFord Prefect reveals he is an alien and a writer for the most popular book ever The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.  Soon they, along with Zaphod Beeblebrox (the coolest man in the universe… or at least the most popular) and his human girlfriend Trillian and Marvin the Paranoid Android travel the universe, discovering the secrets of the universe and generally falling into one crazy situation after another.

Great Episode
Episode 1
An excellent introduction to the series, starting off with a great bit made popular by the radio show and book dealing with watches.  We also get to see some beloved characters on film for the first time, which is quite a treat.  Not many cliffhangers involve bad poetry.

Big Ideas   
“Episode 5” presents what I will always feel is one of the neatest sci-fi concepts of all time: the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, where the End of the Universe is the show.  Eat it, Benihana!  Here we have a restaurant that is mind-bendingly large but is only open for one day only.  If you can get in (and thanks to time travel, it is possible to visit more than once) you will be treated to a delicious meal (the meal itself is willing to make some recommendations) and, from the safety of a time bubble, watch the universe be completely destroyed.