Author Topic: Top 50 Sci-Fi TV Series Countdown (LoC #79)  (Read 33888 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: Top 50 Sci-Fi TV Series Countdown (LoC #79)
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2014, 07:28:42 AM »
Today, cyberpunk, funny cartoons, retro fun and a tie between two spin-offs!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2014, 07:30:49 AM »
Number 40
  35 Points, 3 of 18 lists, #9 K1
You aren’t going crazy.  You’re going sane in a crazy world!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jaZZyhqWhrE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jaZZyhqWhrE</a>

The Premise
When meek Arthur quits his accounting job to become a crime fighter, he quickly meets the new super-hero in a town crowded with super-heroes: the Tick.  The two soon become allies, but it becomes quickly apparent that the child-like, nigh-invulnerable super-hero might not have the tightest grasp on reality.  But with the Tick’s brawn and Arthur’s… sanity, the two are the only hope against super-criminals like The Terror, The Breadmaster and Chairface Chippendale.

Great Episode
That Moustache Feeling
When the Tick wakes up one day and finds himself sporting a moustache, he falls in love, quickly obsessing over it and annoying everyone with his boasting.  But things take a turn when the moustache starts attacking him and sending notes in a crazy moon language (AKA Spanish) he begins to fear the rogue facial hair.  But what does this have to do with the mysterious Jim Rage and his agents of S.H.A.V.E.

Big Ideas   
Even space gods can get lonely.  In “Alone Together”, the Tick is accidentally blown into deep space and runs into Omnipotus, an immense planet-eating space god.  Soon the two strike a deal: the Tick becomes Omnipotus’ personal groomer/janitor and Omnipotus returns the Tick to Earth.  But when Omnipotus finally arrives, the Tick realizes that Omnipotus wants to devour the Earth.  Can the hunger of a depressed planet-eater truly be sated by the power of friendship, fiddler crabs and macaroni pictures?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3847
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2014, 07:44:04 AM »
Ahh. You know I love the Tick, but I just couldn't put that one on a list of Sci-Fi. It had moments, but most of the superheroes were just super because they were. There wasn't much attempt to science it up. You didn't need to understand how the Indigestable Man became indigestible, or how Chairface ended up with a chair for a face. You were just supposed to muse at the fact that someone had those features.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2014, 07:46:31 AM »
Yeah most of them are more like those Real World Superheroes, it's not even like they're mutants, they're just a bunch of dorks in costume or with deformities.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2014, 10:03:16 AM »
Number 39a
  35 Points, 4 0f 18 lists, #13 MartyS (Gromit)
We often fear what we do not understand. Our best defense... is knowledge.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gX9FU8bmxQs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gX9FU8bmxQs</a>

The Premise
When the Starfleet Federation’s USS Voyager and a Maquis vessel are shot far across the universe into the Delta Quadrant, the two crews are forced to work together to get home in unexplored territory, 75 years from home.

Great Episode
Year of Hell   
The Voyager crew looks to solve a war between two alien races that escalates when they find an enemy that can manipulate time, slowly destroying the Voyager in its crew in this two-part epic.  Though things go back to normal by the end, we do get to see the crew pushed to their limits and takes advantage of the fact that this is one small ship far from home and from help.

Big Ideas   
In "Latent Memories", the Doctor, a hardlight hologram and the crew’s medical AI, learns that he has missing memories, the truth of which lead to an emotional breakdown that might threaten the crew.  The best option might be to shut the Doctor down, but does the crew have the right to do that to a sentient crew member designed for the best interest of the ship?

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2014, 11:19:20 AM »

Number 39b
  35 Points, 4 of 18 lists, #13 Goflyblind
Torchwood: outside the government, beyond the police. Tracking down alien life on Earth, arming the human race against the future. The twenty-first century is when everything changes. And you've got to be ready.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZA0qwPnjkOo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZA0qwPnjkOo</a>

The Premise
Torchwood is a secret government program designed to defend against alien threats by any means possible.  When Torchwood is forced to rebuild after being decimated by alien forces, they bring in time travelling Captain Jack Harkness to help lead the new team from threats both alien and terrestrial (but also strange) from their base located under a time riff in Cardiff.

Great Episode
Children of Earth
This one is a bit of a cheat since it is a mini-series, but it makes for one story.  When the children of the world stop in their tracks and proclaim “we are coming”, the Torchwood team gets involved in a case where aliens are offering to save millions of live from a deadly virus in exchange for 12 children.  Will Torchwood be willing to make the trade or will they risk the lives of millions to save 12?

Big Ideas   
In the final mini-series, Miracle Day starts off with “The New World” in which what remains of Torchwood is brought back together when Earth faces a new threat: no one is dying.  With death no longer occurring on Earth, those who should die are in suffering and the world has changed completely.  Meanwhile, Torchwood’s Jack Harkness discovers that he is now mortal.  Can Jack bring death back to Earth or will the Earth become unsustainable within four months, creating a fate literally worse than death.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 12:00:38 PM »
Number 38
  35 Points, 5 of 18 lists, #15 CJones & Imrahil
Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar Galactica leads a rag-tag fugitive fleet on a lonely quest... a shining planet known as Earth.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xHD1uPVkyk0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xHD1uPVkyk0</a>

The Premise
The Galactica is the last surviving warship in a space fleet destroyed by the robots known as the Cylon.  With things looking grim, the Galactica quests to find the mysterious 13th colony and escape the Cylons.  The only thing that is known is the name of the colony’s world: Earth.

Great Episode
The Living Legend
Commander Adama discovers that there is another Battlestar still alive: the Battlestar Pegasus.  With the two Battlestars, humanity seems to have a better chance of surviving, but soon the loyalty to the two captains divides the troops and threatens to leave them weak to Cylon attack.

Big Ideas   
At the end of the final episode of the original series, “Hand of God”, features Galactica’s heroes using the Cylon’s own ship to take out the enemy, but the big twist at the end has nothing to do with that, revealing that the Galactica actually almost contacted Earth, missing signals from the Apollo 11 landing, revealing that the series may not take place in the future after all (or course, they could have been very old signals, but who cares.  Also, let’s forget about Galactica 1980).

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7302
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2014, 12:08:43 PM »
i love the tick, but i don't consider it sci-fi.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6492
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2014, 12:46:02 PM »

Big Ideas   
In the final mini-series, Miracle Day starts off with “The New World” in which what remains of Torchwood is brought back together when Earth faces a new threat: no one is dying.  With death no longer occurring on Earth, those who should die are in suffering and the world has changed completely.  Meanwhile, Torchwood’s Jack Harkness discovers that he is now mortal.  Can Jack bring death back to Earth or will the Earth become unsustainable within four months, creating a fate literally worse than death.
That actually sounds like a cool idea for a movie. Not really sure I'm interested in seeing a TV show try to handle something so global. But still cool.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1519
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2014, 12:51:43 PM »
i love the tick, but i don't consider it sci-fi.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I probably wouldn't have had it on my list if I hadn't seen it on one of the list of Sci-Fi shows that was linked to.  (Same with the Adam West Batman series.)

And Gravity Falls is an amazing show. I highly recommend it.  The Time Travelers Pig is a great episode.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2014, 01:18:48 PM »
Number 37
  37 Points, 2 of 18 lists, #8 Imrahil
It never ends, daddy. It changes. But it never ends.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VpeBGQ1S5t8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VpeBGQ1S5t8</a>

The Premise
Loosely based in the science fiction anthology magazine (in the sense that there is some science fiction and it is an anthology), Amazing Stories tells light-hearted and/or heart-warming stories (with an occasional horror yarn) of the strange.

Great Episode
The Mission
We all know that Family Dog is the actual best episode (and the inspiration for a short-lived TV series, but since this is sci-fi, let’s go with The Mission, in which a cartoonist during WWII finds a bizarre solution to landing a plane with no landing gear.

Big Ideas   
People always used to say too much TV is bad for you, but what about plants?  In “21 Inch Sun”, a TV writer discovers a plant that can write TV scripts, but only after it absorbs the rays of an old TV.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3051
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2014, 02:13:27 PM »

Big Ideas   
That actually sounds like a cool idea for a movie. Not really sure I'm interested in seeing a TV show try to handle something so global. But still cool.

Doing that story over 10 episodes was a bit too long, I thought it really bogged down several times.  It got into some really interesting ideas but it really could have been done in 5 or 6 episodes.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 357
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2014, 03:46:03 PM »

Big Ideas   

Doing that story over 10 episodes was a bit too long, I thought it really bogged down several times.  It got into some really interesting ideas but it really could have been done in 5 or 6 episodes.

I agree, it could have been a lot snappier.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3051
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2014, 07:43:19 PM »
Watched an episode of the original "The Tomorrow People" (The Blue And The Green) on YouTube.  Man, I thought classic doctor who could move slowly, this was at least 50% padding.  Liked the actors and themes, but the sluggish pacing makes me think I couldn't take another episode.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2014, 07:50:13 PM »
Yeah, which is why -

Given my list (especially another one that's hopefully going to show up later) you'd think The Tomorrow People would be certain of a vote from me but, while the concept is good, I just never liked an episode.