login

Author Topic: "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?"  (Read 2587 times)

Offline msmpls

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Watch out for snakes!
"Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?"
« on: March 29, 2007, 12:36:39 PM »
I was just flipping through the newspaper and saw an advertisment for this new game show called "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?" hosted by none other than Jeff Foxworthy. I don't have a TV (television will rot your brain) but I really really want to know if this show is as atrocious as I imagine it is. If you've seen this, please tell me this is a bunch of idiots making fools of themselves for not knowing that the War of 1812 wasn't fought in 1962 or that Sam Adams wasn't just "that beer guy".

there, there my dear. Few corpses are worth tears.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
Re: "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?"
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 01:17:03 PM »
Aside from Jeff's brand of humor, it's pretty straightforward, and many questions asked are things you've most likely not had to remember since the fifth grade or before, so many of the contestants get stumped.

(I miss plenty of the questions, myself. Makes me feel like a dumbass.   :-[)

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 01:57:41 PM »
Just asks fairly basic questions kids today study in grade school and asks adults the same questions. It is kinda funny when they have to rely on a 10 year old for help. It does make you feel like an idiot when you miss some. Truth is most of the questions are stuff you don't really need to know, unless you work in a specific area that requires it.

Offline JonnyFrag

• Big Montana
  • Bad Movie Historian
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 07:07:19 AM »
The worst thing about this show is that Jeff Foxworthy gets to hound the contestants for not knowing the answers. Kind of like when Alex Trebeck always tries to sound so smart and unflabbable , even though he has the answers on a card. But it's Jeff Foxworthy so it makes it 10 times worse.
The other horrid thing is there is one little girl on there that oversells her fake laughing at Jeff's tired material every time he makes even the slightest attempt at a joke.

But it wastes 30 minutes of your life a shot, so if you are just waiting to die, it helps out.
Grapes? I hate grapes, I can't stand grapes. I loathe grapes. All kinds of grapes. I hate green grapes and I hate purple grapes. I hate grapes with seeds, I hate grapes without seeds. I hate them peeled and nonpeeled. I hate them in bunches, one at a time and in small groups of twos and threes.

Offline homerjayla

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Rich in heady goodness!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 08:03:41 AM »
I don't anything made my Fox Network anymore. It's all mindless crap.
Global warming, where?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3154
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 08:52:34 AM »
Unless it isn't. Then it's canned after a season because it couldn't get ratings when they moved it to a different night every week and didn't tell anyone about it. :^)

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 09:09:04 AM »
Sample question: "Does Becky Johnson like me? (Y_) (N_)"

Offline timechaser

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 03:44:29 PM »
I despise this show. It scares me to see how little people know and I pray to Thor I don't end up like that eventually.
He split Robin's arrow in twain!!

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 03:53:54 PM »
I'm about to have my doctorate and I think I am most definitely smarter than a 5th grader.  I mean, I've taught them in classes at the zoo.  They're morons.  They don't even know what PMS is or to not touch the teacher when she is in a bad mood...JK, I'm not that bad  :).  That being said, I don't know some of the answers.   I can't think any specifically, but I've seen the show once and I got some wrong. 

I think most of the questions are just dumb things you forget right away...besides, I went to public school.  It doesn't make me feel stupid not to know that stuff.  I'm sure I used to know it.  I was the dorky little girl who'd rather stay inside and read than go to recess in the 5th grade.  Where did it get me? I hate to tell the little smart fifth graders this but it's a dark, dark road ahead.  One day, they'll be "bragging" about their intelligence on some message board somewhere.   ;)
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 03:56:17 PM »
Crap like this is ruining smart, scripted TV. 

I feel horrible that morons watch this crap.

Now I will go back to my cabin shack in Colorado and brood.