Author Topic: 3D printing  (Read 35603 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2959
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: 3D printing
« Reply #210 on: May 06, 2020, 02:19:13 PM »
I printed a 2nd one for painting, my airbrush was acting up so wasn't getting even coverage, but it's not bad:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #211 on: May 14, 2020, 09:34:46 AM »
 Longest print project I've done yet, just over 30 hours total time printing these:

After gluing and putty and sanding it's starting to look good, still more putty and sanding to do:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2020, 06:04:56 PM »
Here's the Galileo model all pretty:

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6295
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #213 on: June 01, 2020, 07:53:18 PM »
So does anyone here have a laser cutter? I am interested in getting a K40. I'm just wondering how loud they are and how much smoke they put out. I live in an apartment complex and I don't know if my neighbors would have a problem with it, or if the smoke vented out the window would be enough to cause some concern.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #214 on: June 13, 2020, 09:04:53 PM »
Simple little design to hold a shower curtain rod using command strips:

Always hated putting pressure on the wall tiles with the press fit rods, and at least once a year they fall down.  Also didn't want to drill into the tile for anchoring, although some of the curved rods I looked at were tempting. 

So, I just pulled the rubber feed off the press fit rod, measured the diameter of each end and made 2 holders to fit the 2 different sizes of the ends.  Used the command strips made for bathroom use so they should stay up, the tabs to pull the command strips off are hidden behind the ends of the rod. 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #215 on: June 13, 2020, 09:28:18 PM »
So does anyone here have a laser cutter? I am interested in getting a K40. I'm just wondering how loud they are and how much smoke they put out. I live in an apartment complex and I don't know if my neighbors would have a problem with it, or if the smoke vented out the window would be enough to cause some concern.

Just looked those up, wow, I would not risk my eyesight with one of those.  A momentary reflection off a smooth surface is all that would be needed to cause permanent blindness.

At work we had to dismantle one of the lasers because of regulations put in place about 10 years ago (maybe 15?), it wasn't even as powerful as the 40 watt one in these machines and to use it required cut off switches on the doors to the room, room had to be light tight.  I was willing to install the switches but there were other regulations that no one wanted to deal with.

There are videos on how to make those chinese 40 watt devices safer, basically do not trust the clear cover they put on them to block the wavelength of the laser completely, so cover it with something opaque, also installing some safety cut off switches to kill the laser if the cover is opened would be the minimum to do first.  Also spend at least $100 on the proper glasses for the type of laser in the device (I think those machines are all C02 lasers).  The low cost of the machines makes people think they may not use good filter material for the window looking into the chamber.

I also watched some videos where people put in flow sensors for the cooling water, that laser will kill itself if it's on and the water stops flowing.

One video also said to throw out the blower that comes with the thing, get a good high flow exhaust fan because you are burning what ever you put in the thing.  With good dilution from good air flow wood should smell like someone using their fireplace, but plastic will smell terrible so the neighbors might complain. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6295
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #216 on: June 13, 2020, 09:42:57 PM »

Just looked those up, wow, I would not risk my eyesight with one of those.  A momentary reflection off a smooth surface is all that would be needed to cause permanent blindness.

At work we had to dismantle one of the lasers because of regulations put in place about 10 years ago (maybe 15?), it wasn't even as powerful as the 40 watt one in these machines and to use it required cut off switches on the doors to the room, room had to be light tight.  I was willing to install the switches but there were other regulations that no one wanted to deal with.

There are videos on how to make those chinese 40 watt devices safer, basically do not trust the clear cover they put on them to block the wavelength of the laser completely, so cover it with something opaque, also installing some safety cut off switches to kill the laser if the cover is opened would be the minimum to do first.  Also spend at least $100 on the proper glasses for the type of laser in the device (I think those machines are all C02 lasers).  The low cost of the machines makes people think they may not use good filter material for the window looking into the chamber.

I also watched some videos where people put in flow sensors for the cooling water, that laser will kill itself if it's on and the water stops flowing.

One video also said to throw out the blower that comes with the thing, get a good high flow exhaust fan because you are burning what ever you put in the thing.  With good dilution from good air flow wood should smell like someone using their fireplace, but plastic will smell terrible so the neighbors might complain.
Thatnks. I was definitely not planing on being anywhere near it when operating for fear for my eyes. But I did see a video of it actually operating and there was a lot of smoke. So even well vented it would be visible and likely get me in trouble with my landlord. So I think it's a no go for now. I would need to get a proper work space. In order to do that I would have to have it at one of my friends' houses or something.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #217 on: June 22, 2020, 01:26:43 PM »
I noticed someone on Thingiverse took the models of the long lost Duchamp chess set and modified it for easier 3D printing.
I had tried printing these years ago but with certain pieces the overhangs required supports that came up from the smooth base, that pretty much ruins the smoothness of the base unless you a lot of sanding afterwards.

But these remixes don't require any supports, and look very close to the original models.

Broke out my 1988 chess computer and scaled the pieces to fit it.  Got white done, black pieces will print overnight tonight.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4544
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #218 on: June 22, 2020, 01:28:55 PM »
Neat! :o
I'm a chess fan though I haven't played in a few years since I went to Mexico and taught a nephew there how to play

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #219 on: June 22, 2020, 01:43:43 PM »
I haven't played in so long I have to set that board to the lowest level in order to win.

Found a very nice free chess program for Windows called Lucas Chess, has all kinds of tutoring and many different levels of opponents.  Playing against the opponents for children is starting to get my skills back.