login

Author Topic: 3D printing  (Read 20976 times)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: 3D printing
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2014, 08:47:06 PM »
Well, I got the 2nd printer, 2 extra inches in each direction is much nicer, have already been printing out big stuff, and some accessories for the thing.

Hmmm, looks like it will take about 18 hours to print a 6 inch tall TARDIS, but I think I HAVE to do it....

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2014, 04:20:34 PM »
18 hours later and I have a 6 inch tall TARDIS, in blue:

Could have saved half that time, I thought with the larger size and setting the layer height to 0.1mm it would help with the text (police public call box) in the design, but it didn't.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1464
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 04:34:29 PM »
If a guy can get a pant load of money on a kickstarter for potato salad, maybe I can do one for a 3D printer?  Cuz I really want one the more you post stuff.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »
Sorry K1, just don't promise printed objects as rewards, you'll be printing them forever.

Guy at work likes this artist and found this:

3D printable version of Marcel Duchamp's rare Art Deco chess-set
http://boingboing.net/2014/07/07/3d-printable-version-of-marcel.html

Looking at the files, Pawns will take just under an hour, larger pieces up to 3 hours each, and entire set will take forever to print...

I am printing out the knight now to see how my printer does with it, the other pieces I'm kind of meh about but that is one cool looking knight...

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4953
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 05:18:31 PM »
18 hours later and I have a 6 inch tall TARDIS, in blue:

Could have saved half that time, I thought with the larger size and setting the layer height to 0.1mm it would help with the text (police public call box) in the design, but it didn't.

Looks good. The text coming out like that is pretty common. So is the whole thing solid, or is there a "sparse fill" option on that printer?

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 07:10:38 PM »
So is the whole thing solid, or is there a "sparse fill" option on that printer?

How much you fill is an option in the software that takes the mesh of the model, slices it into layers, and generates the huge text file that tells the printer what to do.  For the TARDIS it didn't need to be real solid so I used 10%, inside it is a checkerboard pattern of thin walls spaced probably 1/2 inch apart.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2014, 08:18:37 PM »
So is the whole thing solid, or is there a "sparse fill" option on that printer?

How much you fill is an option in the software that takes the mesh of the model, slices it into layers, and generates the huge text file that tells the printer what to do.  For the TARDIS it didn't need to be real solid so I used 10%, inside it is a checkerboard pattern of thin walls spaced probably 1/2 inch apart.
Yeah, that's sparse fill. If you don't need a lot of strength (or in the case of the blocky type part like the Tardis) it works well.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2014, 02:32:44 PM »
Well, a TARDIS needs a Dalek to go with it, right?

Got the upgrade kit for the wood kit printer, I modified it to use a wider print bed, 3 extra inches in X:

I can now run both printers without connecting to a computer since both now do auto leveling.

Offline goflyblind

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 6490
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2014, 02:22:42 PM »
NASA 3D-prints a nebula, and you can too!

Ever wanted to hold a nebula in your hands? Well now you can thanks to plans from NASA. Warning: It kind of looks like two molars stuck together.
http://www.cnet.com/news/nasa-3d-prints-a-nebula-and-you-can-too/
dF = 0
d*F = J

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2014, 08:05:32 PM »
Well, needed something to test out the new X axis parts I just made for the wooden printer (the red parts at the end of the print bed in the picture).  So that model from NASA is just in time:

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 12:00:51 PM »
Can't find any published sizes on that nebula, but estimating from it's rate of expansion and when it is believed to have started I calculate my 5 cm 3d model of it is at an approximate scale of:

1:100000000000000000

Took about half an hour to print the model, printing time scales fairly linear with volume, and volume is cubed as you increase size, so 100 quadrillion cubed divided by 2 for the hours needed to print it out full size. ;D

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2014, 10:20:40 AM »
 Someone on another forum said to print a scale Enterprise to explore that nebula, the ship would be smaller than picometers, in other words sub atomic size....  The sizes of things in the universe really are unimaginable...

Finally got a semi-working pendulum escapement, still binds in spots, but I think that can be fixed with some minor changes to the paddle wheel.  I've had it running for about a dozen swings before binding, so it's getting there.

Offline goflyblind

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 6490
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2014, 08:53:26 AM »
I downloaded a bunch of those NASA models a few weeks ago, most of the spacecraft are not suitable for home printing.  Too many fine details that get completely ignored by the slicing software, so you end up with only bits and pieces of the craft.  Possibly doable with liquid resin printers using HD projectors, but not the melted plastic extrusion type. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2014, 07:20:54 PM »
You should see if you can find a 3D model of the MST3K Spaghetti Ball