Author Topic: 3D printing  (Read 20230 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: 3D printing
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2016, 10:18:05 AM »
Wow, cool. How accurate will it be?

I'm hoping it will be as good as any home FDM printer, or at least as good as my Printrbot Simple Metal.  It will still have all the accuracy issues of any printer that squeezes out melted plastic from a moving nozzle.  Everything is very stable, even at the top it takes quite a bit of force on the nozzle area to move it, and that's what messes up prints on cheap printers, all those fast direction changes causing the print head to wobble away from where it's supposed to be.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2016, 10:03:47 PM »
Got all the wiring done and after about 4 hours getting all the new settings dialed in it is printing.

Also figured out a way to mount the power supply on the side.

Print area ended up being X 200 mm, Y 230 mm, Z 295 mm.

And here it is in action:

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2016, 05:39:55 AM »
*coughYouTubevideocough*  8)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2016, 10:52:12 AM »
OK, fine, here's a vid:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lG_63KpeFug" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/lG_63KpeFug</a>

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2016, 11:03:31 AM »
Hypnotic :o

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2016, 09:32:12 PM »
I've been printing out parts for this all day, came out pretty good:

The lamp shade is white plastic, the windows are photo paper leftovers from printing the call box signage.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2016, 01:05:34 AM »
nice, very crisp text.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #157 on: May 20, 2016, 09:45:54 AM »
This is hilarious, a machine made of Legos that 3D prints with Lego blocks:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4YZeX8ti7Io" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4YZeX8ti7Io</a>

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2017, 06:23:38 PM »
When I ordered my airbrush I forgot to order a holder and cleaning pot.  I had been looking at kits for a long time but almost all of them come with compressors and I already got one for my house so when I switched to getting individual parts I forgot about some stuff.

Found a holder on Thingeverse, and there were cleaning lids for mason jars but only ones I liked were for larger jars that what I had, so whipped up one in CAD and it works fine:

Rainy afternoon so I spent a few hours doing dots and lines, getting better at controlling the flow of paint.  It's an odd combination of movements, push down on the button to make the air flow, then pull the button back to make paint flow, and control dot size with distance to the surface.

The cheap airbrush I got did need some tweaking to make it better, the needle was rough so that needed polishing, air hole around the paint nozzle was not round so needed to be drilled out with a size 63 drill bit.  It sprays pretty good now.  Only thing going to a more expensive one would fix is finer control as you move the button back and forth, not sure I'll ever need that doing models, I won't be doing artwork where you need to start and stop lines perfectly.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 06:39:08 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2017, 07:45:32 PM »
Cool, I'd love an airbrush, if only to save on cans of spray primer. But I don't think I can justify the expanse yet.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #160 on: April 22, 2017, 08:19:54 PM »
The one I got was about $30, and about $40 for hose, regulator with water trap, and fittings to hook it up to my compressor.
It's kind of strange that small compressors with 1 gallon tanks for airbrushing are more expensive than the 1HP 4 gallon one I got at home depot.  But they are way more quiet, mine is very loud.  I have the compressor on the other side of a wall in the basement and drilled a hole to run the hose to my desk, I can have the air on the brush going for probably 10 minutes before the compressor kicks in for 30 seconds.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: April 22, 2017, 10:26:10 PM »
yeah I'd have to get everything, including a compressor and a good spray booth for my tiny one room apartment.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #162 on: April 23, 2017, 09:37:36 AM »
Ah, that's where I was up until January, limited to brush painting. 

Now that I can stink up the basement any time I want I'll have to try 3D printing with ABS or some exotic filaments.