Author Topic: 3D printing  (Read 20278 times)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: 3D printing
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 02:03:42 PM »
FreeCAD is a pain in the ass to use, so many quirky ways it does things, but of all the programs I've tried it's the best free one I've seen for building parts for gadgets.

It's a steep learning curve but I've managed to build a box with 2 halves that fit together, with openings for spool like things to attach rubber bands to, if the ratchet parts I'm printing tonight work I'll have something I can wind up to power a clock.  Next will be to design some type of escapement that will work with all printed parts.  Want to build a clock that is nearly 100% printed, only needing rubber bands and maybe some glue.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 05:56:42 PM »
And with some fine tuning of the ratchet "arm" it works.

All these parts drawn in FreeCAD and printed:

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
Now that you seem to be reliably printing things, how often do you have to recalibrate the printer?

And good luck on the clock.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 07:55:58 PM »
Now that you seem to be reliably printing things, how often do you have to recalibrate the printer?

The bed has to be leveled each time you start it up, takes about a minute for me to do it now, would be faster on the more expensive printers that don't require an allen wrench to do it (and some have 3 point leveling that is much easier than 4).

Some models have a distance sensor that measures the bed before each print, so you never have to level, it compensates in software during the print.

Doesn't really need any other calibration, X Y and Z have been pretty accurate even after all the abuse I've put it through.   Must have gone through half a spool of black and 1/4 spool of white filament in this short time.  I'll probably print out the 5mm steps once a week just to check it, I assume the sand paper cylinders will slowly wear out requiring slight adjustments of the the steps/mm settings for X and Y.  I might order the upgrade kit from printrbot to replace those with timing belts, but if I stay with it that long I'll probably end up getting a better printer instead, the 4x4 inch space limitation is quite restrictive.

I did have to put some old 486 CPU heat sinks on the stepper motor that feeds the filament.  It was heating up too much and losing power to the point where it could feed the filament in.  The heat sinks seem to have solved that problem without needing to add a fan.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 08:18:36 PM »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 08:29:46 PM »

I can't seem to find one of Crow, but I bet you could with more digging.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 01:10:21 AM »
I tried printing the little Servo, came out nice except for his hands, can't print in air, I'll try turning on the supports in the software to see how that works, I think it will mess up because his hands are not over the build plate, so the supports would have to be built on his hover skirt.

Some cool silhouettes out there, might print one of those.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 10:41:41 AM »
I tried printing the little Servo, came out nice except for his hands, can't print in air, I'll try turning on the supports in the software to see how that works, I think it will mess up because his hands are not over the build plate, so the supports would have to be built on his hover skirt.

I don't know if you can edit the mesh, but you could potentially print the arms separate and glue them on.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 11:22:51 AM »

I don't know if you can edit the mesh, but you could potentially print the arms separate and glue them on.

I've wanted to do that with a few other meshes and couldn't find any software to do it, best that I could find was being able to cut a mesh in 2 along a plane.

Would need to find a cad file for Servo to split him into printable parts.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked:
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 02:25:27 PM »

Dang it Darth, I've been trying to tell myself I shouldn't buy a 3D Printer... you're not helping!  ;D

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 04:59:21 PM »
Printed it out with supports turned on, wasn't too hard to clean up the spots where the supports were attached:

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked:
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 05:34:02 PM »
Awww I want one!

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 08:27:01 PM »
I keep getting away from my clock build, saw this and had to grab the files, not sure how it will work but going to give it a shot:

Edit:  No luck, when the parts are scaled down to fit my printer the tubes get too thin to print.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 09:47:25 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 05:19:37 PM »
After trying about 10 different pin escapement designs it's time to give up and think of a different type, just too much friction between the plastic parts for it to work.

Got my spool of blue PLA from Amazon, now I can print out a blue TARDIS...  ;D

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2014, 09:42:30 PM »
Found a cool Saturn V model in 4 parts that came out pretty nice.

Ordered a kit to upgrade my printer to belt drive and the auto-leveling sensor, comes with all new wood frame parts and the sensor, so I'll have to carefully take apart what I built and rebuild it with the new wood frame, but it should be much easier to use and more stable with the belts vs. the string, no more bed leveling each time I turn it on.  Although more than half the time now I don't have to do any adjustments.

Still wanting to print stuff larger than 4 inches, the Printrbot simple metal will do 6x6x6 inches, pretty sure I wouldn't want anything larger, and besides, the ones that do an 8 or 10 inch cube don't go much faster, so stuff that big would take an entire day to print, I'm running into 10 hour prints now....

big image of the rocket (white plastic is almost as hard to photograph as black):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)