Author Topic: Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018)  (Read 8314 times)

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Riff Super Monsters
Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018)
« on: June 15, 2014, 12:59:44 PM »
Guillermo del Toro working on 'Pacific Rim 2' script

et ready for giant monsters vs. colossal robots, Round 2: Writer-director Guillermo del Toro is working on a script for a sequel to his 2013 sci-fi film "Pacific Rim.".

"I'm working very, very hard with Zak Penn," Del Toro told BuzzFeed at the Austin Television Festival over the weekend. "We've been working for a few months now in secret. We found a way to twist it around."

by Steven Zeitchik

Del Toro added that finance and production company Legendary Pictures has not formally agreed to make the film, but that he and Penn ("X-Men: The Last Stand," "The Incredible Hulk") are writing the script as if it will see the light.

"I don't have the money, but I'm proceeding like it is happening," Del Toro said, adding that he hopes to make "Pacific Rim 2" after his next producing project.

Released last July, the original "Pacific Rim" tells the story of a future in which giant monsters called kaiju have emerged from an undersea portal and begun laying waste to coastal cities. To fight back, the military creates 25-story robots operated by two pilots who control the machine via a psychic bond.

The $190-million film did only moderate business in the U.S., where it just crossed the $100 million mark, but it earned positive reviews and also flourished overseas, taking in an additional $309 million.

Back in April, discussing the possibility of a sequel, Legendary principal Thomas Tull told The Times, "We love ['Pacific Rim'] and we love working with Guillermo del Toro. We would continue working on it, but we wouldn't do it just to do it."

Del Toro said the sequel script picks up where the first movie left off and includes the characters Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnam) and Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi).

"Some people were wondering if we were going to do the prequel," Del Toro said. "I was never interested in doing that first wave of invasion. I'm going for very new, very crazy ideas on the second one, which are very different from the first one — but you will get really great spectacle."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-guillermo-del-toro-working-on-pacific-rim-2-script-20140609-story.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 12:19:35 PM by Henry88 »
Cervantes smiled Spain's chivalry away;
A single laugh demolished the right arm
Of his own country; — seldom since that day
Has Spain had heroes.

where did all the happy endings go?, where could all the good times be.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Look at me!!
Re: Pacific Rim 2 (???)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 01:16:43 PM »
The first one was entertaining.  Not great though, might wait for the sequel to come to blu ray, if it gets made this time.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
I think the biggest thing against the first one was name recognition. It's sad, but we live in a world where most movies are rehashes or adaptations of recognizable properties. For all the goofy simplicity of "giant robots fighting giant monsters", the general public doesn't seem to know what to make of something anymore if they don't recognize the name. But this means the sequel may actually do better business.
Personally, I'd like to see Guillermo go back to doing smaller more personal movie between his big budget blockbusters.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 06:41:42 PM »
‘Pacific Rim 2’: Charlie Hunnam Set to Reprise His Role, Guillermo del Toro Working on the Script

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/555753/20140616/pacific-rim-2-guillermo-del-toro-charlie.htm#.U6CM3thOUdU
Has Spain had heroes.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 07:04:34 PM »
Yes, because how could we EVER have a Pacific Rim movie without him.  ::)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 07:12:03 PM »
We could possibly have it less blandly...

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 08:22:15 PM »
The Australian co pilot should have been named Iceman. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 09:55:06 PM »

I think it was that it was a pretty dumb movie.
Yeah, but pretty dumb movies have made LOTS of money. What's the difference between this, Transformers, and Godzilla? Name recognition.
And even without a recognizable name, there's the fact it's title didn't really make any sense as a title. It'd be like calling Monster's Inc. "Doors".

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked:
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 12:23:38 AM »
Is there any way Guillermo can be cloned, I want to see everything he's planning to make

The Australian co pilot should have been named Iceman.

He should be called South African too.
Scottotd on Instagram or @Scottotd on the Tweety :)

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 08:07:18 AM »
Is there any way Guillermo can be cloned, I want to see everything he's planning to make

AGREED!

Well, except for the Frankenstein movie. Not that he couldn't do a good job with it, but we don't really need yet another adaptation.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 03:34:40 PM »
Charlie Hunnam steps out in character on the set of his series Sons of Anarchy on Monday afternoon (June 16) in Los Angeles.

The 34-year-old actor starred in the movie Pacific Rim and now director Guillermo del Toro is telling Buzzfeed about his plans for the sequel.

“I’m working very, very hard with [screenwriter] Zak Penn,” Guillermo said. “We’ve been working for a few months now in secret. We found a way to twist it around. Travis Beacham [co-writer of the first film, now working on Fox’s Hieroglyph] was involved in the storyline and now I’m writing with Zak because Travis has become a TV mogul.”

“Some people were wondering if we were going to do the prequel. I was never interested in doing that first wave of invasion,” he added. “I’m going for very new, very crazy ideas on the second one, which are very different from the first one — but you will get really great spectacle.”

http://www.justjared.com/2014/06/17/charlie-hunnam-pacific-rim-2-might-actually-happen/
Has Spain had heroes.

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
Re: Pacific Rim 2 (2016?)
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
Looks like WB gave distribution rights to Universal, as GDT just posted a video message with future franchise plans (more comics, animated series) and a sequel release date:

http://collider.com/pacific-rim-2-release-date/

Pacific Rim 2 is officially a “go”.  Though director Guillermo del Toro’s 2013 “monsters vs. robots” film was in no way a box office disaster, the colorful, bombastic epic failed to catch on with general audiences in Transformers fashion.  It just squeaked past the $100 million mark stateside, but fared much better internationally, bringing its worldwide total to $411 million.  Fans (myself included) hoped this would be enough to convince Legendary Pictures to greenlight a sequel, and we’ve been hearing more updates on the follow-up in the past few months.
Most recently, del Toro revealed that he’s writing the Pacific Rim 2 script with Zak Penn (X2), and now the filmmaker has announced that the pic will hit theaters on April 7, 2017 in IMAX 3D.  Moreover, he revealed that an animated series set within the Pacific Rim world will be unveiled sometime before that date.  More after the jump.

So I guess it's really happening. Thanks China!

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Riff Super Monsters
Re: Pacific Rim 2 (2017)
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 06:12:25 PM »
time to find that shoe!
Has Spain had heroes.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
Re: Pacific Rim 2 (2017)
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 06:13:05 PM »
time to find that shoe!
I hope the shoe is a recurring gag in the animated show.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked:
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: Pacific Rim 2 (2016?)
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 09:34:04 PM »
Looks like WB gave distribution rights to Universal, as GDT just posted a video message with future franchise plans (more comics, animated series) and a sequel release date:

http://collider.com/pacific-rim-2-release-date/

Pacific Rim 2 is officially a “go”.  Though director Guillermo del Toro’s 2013 “monsters vs. robots” film was in no way a box office disaster, the colorful, bombastic epic failed to catch on with general audiences in Transformers fashion.  It just squeaked past the $100 million mark stateside, but fared much better internationally, bringing its worldwide total to $411 million.  Fans (myself included) hoped this would be enough to convince Legendary Pictures to greenlight a sequel, and we’ve been hearing more updates on the follow-up in the past few months.
Most recently, del Toro revealed that he’s writing the Pacific Rim 2 script with Zak Penn (X2), and now the filmmaker has announced that the pic will hit theaters on April 7, 2017 in IMAX 3D.  Moreover, he revealed that an animated series set within the Pacific Rim world will be unveiled sometime before that date.  More after the jump.

So I guess it's really happening. Thanks China!

WaHOO!
Scottotd on Instagram or @Scottotd on the Tweety :)

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)