login

Author Topic: Wow...just Wow  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Lanrezac

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 3
Wow...just Wow
« on: June 13, 2014, 01:15:44 AM »
Ed Wood has a really transgressive imagination, didn't he?  I mean, this entire movie was just a setup for the idea that this beautiful white woman became the Bride of the Gorillas...and liked it.  "The Bride of the Monster" and "Plan 9 From Outer Space" didn't really prepare me for this psycho-sexual weirdness.

Actually, only about 25 minutes was spent setting that up, about 15 in the beginning and 10 or less at the end. The other 50 minutes was just filler because spending any more time on the real plot would have made the movie un-releasable.  As it is, it is startling that it could have been released in 1958, but by then, I guess, the Production Code had lost a lot of clout.

!SPOILER ALERT!

What is really jolting is the ending.  It is not enough that the wife has these kind of leanings because of her past life as a gorilla (!).  It is that the movie LEAVES HER WITH THE GORILLAS.  Her husband, despite his jungle skills, his money, and his connections with the local government cannot find her, so he just gives up and goes home!  We don't even really see him looking for her. After he loses a fight with the gorillas and they take her away, the next scene is him back at his mansion, talking to the hypnotist.  I just can't get my head around that, that a Hollywood movie would just leave her there.  I guess that after 25 years of the production code, it didn't occur to anyone that leaving the bride in the jungle with the gorillas might equal sex with gorillas?  1958 was a really innocent place, I guess.

The riffing was great, and made the movie a lot of fun to watch, which it would not have been otherwise, because the middle is mostly people shooting at stock footage, or chasing it with trucks.  The print quality is terrific, although my download had one video glitch of 2-3 seconds (the audio did not falter during it).

Two notes upon further research:

1) This movie is based on a story by the director, Adrian Weiss, so maybe it isn't Ed Wood's weirdness alone.
2) This thing has an MPAA Seal! That means either 1958 was really, really innocent, or by 1958 the MPAA just wasn't trying anymore...or that it's just me.  Oh, boy.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 01:35:09 AM by Lanrezac »