Author Topic: Please Help - Riffplayer problems.  (Read 913 times)

Offline tfabris

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
Please Help - Riffplayer problems.
« on: June 12, 2014, 10:33:50 AM »
I've got some problems with RiffPlayer, and I'm wondering if I anyone here can help?

I'm on a brand new Windows 8.1 laptop computer, a Sony Flip 15 with a combo Intel/Nvidia graphics chipset. Riffplayer runs as expected, and correctly synchs to riffs I've purchased. The only one I've watched so far is HP Chamber of Secrets (hilarious by the way).

Though RiffPlayer works, it has a few problems which are giving me grief.

Issue 1: The Mplayer video will not play on a secondary monitor.
- I have a couple of ways to play to a secondary monitor. I can plug into a USB3 docking station, or I can do a Widi/Miracast to my television set.
- Either way, the Riffplayer has a black rectangle instead of playing video on the second monitor.
- It's fine on the laptop's own internal display.
- It doesn't matter if I clone the display, put the display entirely on the second monitor, or configure it for an extended desktop: Same result. Video on laptop screen, black rectangle on any secondary screen.
- If, in extended desktop mode, I drag the Riffplayer window half way between the laptop screen and the secondary screen, the video will be playing on the laptop screen, but the portion that is on the secondary screen is still black.

Solution to issue 1:
Simple solution: Problem is fixed in a more recent build of the Mplayer binaries. Download the latest win32 binaries and codecs for Mplayer, and copy them atop the files in the Riffplayer folder. Magic! Now my video can play on the secondary monitor (IE my big screen television). Fixed! Note: I used the 32-bit binaries because that matches what was already there. Even though I'm on a 64-bit system, since Riffplayer is a 32-bit app I thought it would be prudent to keep the same architecture. I haven't tried it with 64-bit Mplayer binaries.

Issue 2: Video Judder.
- Mplayer video playback, when going through Riffplayer, is juddery.
- By judder, I mean, that the playback does not play a smooth frame rate, it hitches and sputters. As if someone were randomly tapping pause/unpause very quickly a couple of times per second.
- This makes the film only barely watchable. Quite distracting. Only the riffs can save it at that point. Luckily the synch with the riff track is maintained fairly well.
- Other programs on my system (such as PotPlayer) can play DVDs fine judder-free, so I know it's not a problem with my hardware.

Solution to issue 2:
Add the mplayer command line parameter "-cache 1024" into the advanced settings of Riffplayer. This fixes the problem and I get judder-free playback. In fact, it can be almost any number for the amount of cache, even very small amounts of cache fix the judder problem. But that leads us to...

Issue 3: Synch with riff track is lost if I use cache.
- If I use the -cache xxxx option for Mplayer, to fix the judder, then suddenly the synch with the riff is completely lost.
- If I chapter-forward in the movie, the Riff does not automatically go re-synch with the movie, it restarts at the beginning of the MP3.
- I notice that the Riffplayer launches Mplayer with the -nocache parameter on purpose. That's probably why.

I realize that Issue 3 is probably a down-the-line result of my solutions to issue 1 and 2, but I don't know any other way to fix it. Does anyone here have any ideas of how to solve all these problems simultaneously so that I get riff-synched, judder-free playback on my TV set?

Offline tfabris

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
Re: Please Help - Riffplayer problems.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 06:45:42 PM »
A slight amount of improvement was obtained by entering the Nvidia graphics control panel, and telling it that "Mplayer.exe" should be run using the integrated graphics chip rather than the Nvidia chip. This made the juddering reduce its frequency, from the original 1-2 times per second, to once every few seconds.

I'd like to figure out how to get the juddering to go away completely, like it does when I use the -cache parameter. But the -cache parameter makes RiffPlayer nonfunctional.

Note: I get the same juddering issues just running Mplayer by itself from the command line, even without Riffplayer at all. So this isn't technically a bug in Riffplayer, I'd just like to know how to fix the issue. Since I have a fix for the issue (-cache) but it doesn't fix it for Riffplayer since the riff synching breaks when I use -cache.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked:
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 12:36:19 PM »
Thank you for this bug report. It's true that the -cache option breaks sync. We'd love it if you could email some mplayer/riffplayer logs (the option can be found under the Options menu) to support@rifftrax.com so we can pass them along to Paul, our RiffPlayer dev. It will help him make improvements to the next build.  Thanks!

Offline tfabris

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 01:33:29 PM »
Will do! Logs to the email address coming shortly. Thanks so much!