login

Author Topic: DOSBOX and You. (Or: How I got Ripper To Work)  (Read 3641 times)

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
DOSBOX and You. (Or: How I got Ripper To Work)
« on: May 10, 2014, 05:38:18 PM »
The Basics:

Link to download Dosbox:
http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

Installation

The first step is to install DOSBox. This guide will use the 0.72 Windows 32 version which is available for download. Download the release for your operating system. If you are a Windows user, get the Win32 installer.

After downloading, install DOSBox to any directory. Also, make a folder to put all your old games in. I put DOSBox in C:\DOSBox, and my old games directory is C:\DOSGAMES. I put a game in my DOSGAMES directory, RIPPER.

Running a game

Now, the hardest part, getting games to run. First, run dosbox.exe in your DOSBox folder. Remember that DOSGAMES directory you created in Step 1? You have to basically set that as new directory just for DOSBox. Essentially, it's going to become the C:\> drive of DOSBox. So, type:

Z:\>MOUNT C C:\DOSGAMES
Drive C mounted as local directory C:\DOSGAMES\

To dissect the above:

MOUNT: Tells the program to mount a directory
    C: Tells the program what you want your new drive to be called (leaving it as C: is fine)
    C:\DOSGAMES: This is the directory I want to set as the new drive for DOSBox, because all my games are in it. If you created a different directory, write in the directory you created.

(Note: If you want to mount a CD-ROM instead of a folder, type this:

Z:\>MOUNT D D:\ -t cdrom
MSCDEX installed.
Drive D is mounted as CDRom D:\

(Note: "cdrom" is case sensitive and must be lowercase!)

In this example, D:\ -T cdrom tells DOSBox that my D:\ drive is a CD-ROM drive, and the first D, tells DOSBox what my new drive name should be called. If you are running your game off a CD-ROM then make sure to use D: in place of C: in the following examples. You can find instructions on how to mount other devices, such as floppy drives, in the mount section).

After you've done this, you will be prompted with a Z:\>. Now, just write what you wanted to call your new DOSBox drive, which as I said above, we called C. To navigate to that newly mounted drive just type in:

Z:\>C:

C:\>

Hopefully, you're all set! Now, it's time to run the game. Previously I had mentioned a game called Ripper in my DOSGAMES folder. I now want DOSBox to go to that folder. So type in:

C:\>CD RIPPER

C:\RIPPER>

That's it! CD stands for "Change Directory", so you've changed the directory to RIPPER. You can find instructions on how to use the Change Directory command, in the CD section of the Commands article.

One more step, running the game! Most games have an EXE file in their directory that you can run. However, some might require a BAT file, or COM file (common in demos and really old games). Most of the time, the file is in the root folder. Please consult the documentation of your game for which file is needed to start the game. In the case of Ripper, it's RIPPER.EXE. So now, I just type this:

C:\RIPPER>RIPPER.EXE

You can save yourself some time by having DOSBox automatically MOUNT your folders and change the drive to C:. In original DOS based operating systems a file called AUTOEXEC.BAT contained any commands that the user wanted executed every time the computer booted up. This functionality is simulated by the [autoexec] section of the dosbox.conf file.

Go to Start Menu and click on "Configuration" and then "Edit Configuration". Then scroll down to the very end, and add these lines:

MOUNT C C:\DOSGAMES
C:

==============================================================
I'll be updating this. Recently learned I can burn iso images of the discs and run those instead of swapping out the physical discs (of which there are 6 in Ripper).

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
Re: DOSBOX and You. (Or: How I got Ripper To Work)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 05:09:13 AM »
Game installs just fine but when I start playing, I get some weird graphical bugs. The about half of the time, the whole game screen, aside from drop down UI, is squeezed into the upper 1/4 of the screen or so.

The "scrunched video" problem is related to VESA and can be resolved with a VESA driver (e.g. SciTech Display Doctor) and/or command line switches made available in one of the patches.

Ripper patches 1.03 and 1.05

The website is in Italian, but you can deduce the download links easily. In weeks of searching, this was the only location I could find them.

I have all the discs imaged and stored in C:\DOSGAMES\RIPPER\IMAGES.

MOUNT C C:\DOSGAMES\RIPPER -t dir -freesize 400
IMGMOUNT D C:\DOS\GAMES\RIPPER\IMAGES\Ripper-1.iso -t iso
D:
INSTALL

When you reach the screen change these settings:
CD Read Size: 32768
Cinematic Mode: Hi Res FULL

Patching:

- Place rip103.exe an rip105.exe in an empty folder
- Double-click rip103.exe to extract 8 files
- Double-click rip105.exe to extract 3 files
- Allow overwrites
- Delete rip103.exe and rip105.exe
- Move the remaining files to C:\DOS\GAMES\RIPPER\RIPPER
- Allow overwrites

- Launch the game with RIPPERV.BAT
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 05:20:17 AM by Lembach »

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 05:13:54 AM »
Convert the game CDs to iso images:

Imgburn Download

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 05:18:22 AM »
Loading an ISO image

An example in Windows

Z:>mount C "C:\DOSGAMES\RIPPER\IMAGES"
Z:>imgmount D "C:\RIPPER1.iso" -t iso
Z:>d:
D:>

Other example in Windows (more than one image)

Z:>mount C "C:\DOSGAMES\RIPPER\IMAGES"
Z:>imgmount D C:\RIPPER1.iso C:\RIPPER2.iso -t iso    (etc. to RIPPER6.iso)
Z:>d:
D:>

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 89
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 11:32:24 PM »
I remember using DOSbox when playing games like Day of the Tentacle and Discworld a second time.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 02:00:09 AM »
Find any errors in my method?