Author Topic: Dark Phoenix  (Read 923 times)

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 185
Re: Dark Phoenix
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 10:03:55 PM »
Okay, I just got home a little while ago and... I thought Dark Phoenix was good! Could it have benefited a lot from being split into two or three movies? Well hell yes, in the early 90's I read a lot of X-men comics and watched the cartoon so I was very familiar with the Dark Phoenix Saga. Unfortunately I never got through reading it. Though... in any case I am extremely baffled at a 22% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I mean... REALLY?! You know I was waiting the whole movie for some kind of bomb to drop and just cause the movie to cave in on itself. To my surprise, that never happened! At least IMHO anyway.

I think it is a HUGE stretch to say this thing is somehow worse than something like X-men The Last Stand, X-men Origins Wolverine or X-men Apocalypse. I got to say I am surprised because I am more than fully aware I have said that most of the time I agree with critics and this year I have already disagreed with the majority of them three times, once for Godzilla King of the Monsters, again for the Game of Thrones finale and now for Dark Phoenix.

I don't know what happened. Maybe it's a case of overinflated expectations or something. Yeah, Dark Phoenix could have better, but it was by no means the horrid garbage fire the goddamn critics seem to think it is.

I thought the female Ghostbusters was actually good and the criticism totally unfair.  same with Solo A Star Wars Story and GoT.

Social media vultures feed on carrion.   

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3898
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 09:54:28 AM »
Yeah, critics and I have never seen eye-to-eye on X-Men movies. I even like some of the more derided movies like Age of Apocalypse. Gonna see both this and Godzilla tomorrow, and my son talked me into taking him to Aladdin today, so it's gonna be a critically-panned feast for the eyes this weekend!

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1097
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 11:52:48 AM »
I'm absolutely serious btw when I said I liked Dark Phoenix. One thing that really allowed me to really enjoy the film was that one of the central themes of the movie is about owning up to your mistakes. That's pretty profound given all the events of the movie. At the end and the credits began I thought... really? The critics thought this was shit?! Chris Stuckmann said he thought movie was bland and I had no idea what he was talking about. I thought the movie was dramatic without overdoing it, it had some great character moments, it was never boring, I just... every bone in my body tells me "that was a good movie" without feeling like I'm somehow exaggerating or even lying or that the movie was in some way a guilty pleasure.
"Russoguru is a naive jackass"