Author Topic: Joel wants to reboot the show with a new host.  (Read 6509 times)

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 173
Re: Joel wants to reboot the show with a new host.
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 01:36:53 PM »
You and me both.

Look at it this way: if there's a new series, it'll be a lot easier to manage VOD/disc rights, so we may actually get season sets... which can be cheaper in the long run.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3899
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 02:54:22 PM »
I don't hate the idea, but it's surprising to me how little it matters to me now.

I mean, I'm excited. I hope it comes back, I plan on watching it, and I hope it's as funny as the original run, but now that I've had a steady diet of Rifftrax for a few years, it almost seems like a step backwards to go back to puppets and old movies. 10 years ago, I would have lost sleep daydreaming about the possibility of new MST3K. Now it's like- Well that's cool, but I have a few volumes of classic MST3K and about a year's worth of Rifftrax I still need to catch up on, so take your time.

Also, Jon Benjamin has an awesome riffing voice. Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 02:56:03 PM by Pak-Man »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6581
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 03:01:48 PM »
Had there just been Cinematic Titanic, which didn't pan out as well as they hoped, and then they decided to do this I'd be all over it. And I still will watch for sure. But Rifftrax really IS the evolution of MST3K. Since they can do ANY movie they want. Licensing ability simply determines whether it is a MP3 or VOD. It's really the puppets and the host segment that separate it. But since Rifftrax has video capabilities, they could do skits if they chose.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3332
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 04:58:50 PM »
I hope you guys aren't forced to watch it!
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2014, 06:02:25 PM »
I hope you guys aren't forced to watch it!
It beckons us "Come to me for I am the magnet and you are steel!"

Offline Frozen Penguin

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2014, 03:07:35 PM »
I never got around to trying Cinematic Titanic but I'd be very interested in a new MST3K project. Not so sure about bringing someone other than Joel to host it, but I'd give it a shot.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 03:14:33 PM »
I have been watching Cinematic Titanic on and off. Just got a few more of theirs. The riffing is good, definitely worth the price. The segments where they pause the movie are pretty useless, though. They don't do them very often though, so it's no big deal.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3100
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2014, 05:19:27 PM »
Just read that Wired article, really good stuff.

I'm sure I'll check the new show out if it happens, how good it ends up is really going to depend on who he gets as writers.

Offline WhackyWookiee

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 10
  • YouTube is God's gift to the Internets.
    • Whacky Wookiee's Domain
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2014, 12:58:38 AM »
I think a healthy mix of veterans and new-blood is probably the only good idea.

The world of professional riffing is a pretty tough gig to crack. It's pretty much just the people from the original MST3K, so if they start filtering new talent in & out like SNL with a reboot, it'd probably be better for the Art form as a whole.

Then the show can run forever like SNL too.
I make good words.

WhackyWookiee's Domain
http://whackywookiee.blogspot.com/

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2014, 07:29:10 AM »
and slowly degrade into mediocrity like SNL too

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2517
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2014, 07:32:46 AM »
SNL even at its best was never as consistently funny as MST3K. The complaints about "the current cast aren't as funny as they were when I was younger" are usually caused by the viewer forgetting all the skits that didn't work with the older cast and only focussing on the gems. The new cast has gems too, and the younger people watching right now will have the same complaint when they get older.

There's a reason whenever they make an old episode of SNL available on dvd or streaming that its cut down to 2/3 or less than its original length.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
Yes, but the hits are funnier and the misses dont suck as bad.  I dont agree with your point about consistency either, there were some really dry episodes of MST3K where I really find it hard to sit through.

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 78
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2014, 04:42:44 PM »
Here's a Story for a Reunion film I came up with.

Joel, Mike, Crow, Tom, Gypsy, and Cam-bot awaken on the Satellite of Love II without any memory of how they got there or who built it. Pearl, Observer, and Bobo have also returned to their castle without any recollection of getting there, only that a mysterious character called "The Phantom" has ordered them to continue Dr. Forrester's original experiments.

I doubt Joel and Mike would go in at the same time, but taking turns throughout the movie could work, with maybe the four in the theater for the film's final act as a "special occasion" event. Trace and Bill could take turns as Crow, but Kevin should remain Tom, as I personally never cared for Josh in the role.

Anyway, throughout the movie, Joel and Mike would be trying to find a way off the SOL II, and then TV's Frank would return as a Soultaker. He too is working for the Phantom and mentions that they have something special planned.

The Phantom would eventually reveal himself to be Dr. Erhardt, Clayton's first assistant, who disappeared without explanation. Pearl would also recognize him. He explains that he was working on a time machine, and that he was actually sent back in time. There he became Pearl's lover, and it turns out he is Clayton's biological father. And with Frank's help, Erhardt manages to clone Clayton, return his soul, and bring him back to life.

This would've set up a sort of villains united plot to take over the universe, but I doubt a series would follow. One reunion movie is all I could ask for really.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 04:57:22 PM by Toyland Chairman »
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2014, 05:01:28 PM »
Its kind of a neat idea, although Crow randomly changing voices and attitudes doesnt make a lot of sense to me. 

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 78
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2014, 05:04:53 PM »
Its kind of a neat idea, although Crow randomly changing voices and attitudes doesnt make a lot of sense to me. 
For Crow it would probably be better if he had one voice, but changed it later. Start with Trace, and go to Bill? Or since Bill was his last voice, start with him, and switch back to Trace?
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/