login

Author Topic: Did you see BSG jump the shark?  (Read 2904 times)

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
Re: Did you see BSG jump the shark?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 11:02:34 AM »
I can see why someone might be annoyed at the song, but one of the religious themes of the show is that everything happens again, and I think the song sets up the show to happen in 'this' universe. at whatever time.

I would mind less if they'd chosen a cultural artefact that wasn't so one-dimensional, specifically tied to the Western World and a very narrow era of Pop music. Also, maybe if they'd taken any song and/or artist that wasn't so overrated because of the unassailable canonization afforded all those who made simple popular music when the Baby Boomers were young.

Their choice of song is really only a teensy bit better than having the exact same thing happen in the show with Detroit Rock City, Livin' on a Prayer, Rock Me Amadeus, My Humps or some other hit tune. Yeah, Dylan is a slightly better lyricist than any of the writers of aforementioned songs, but on a scale of our entire civilization's amassed culture, only marginally so.

It breaches the integrity of the show and its universe, unless you hold All Along the Watchtower in some sort of extremely high reverence . It's an old, simplistic little ditty that Hendrix managed to breathe some life into by virtue of his performance, not because the notes, chords and words were particularly amazing on any level. It's a pretty good work of popular culture, not a pinnacle of high art. Having a meeting/discovery of civilization(s) hinging on it is way beyond ludicrous.

Well, when you put it like THAT... I guess, you're right... Mr. Righty-pants!

Although, your disparagment of the song is a little harsh, it does seem strange that of all the music humans have ever created up until this time or in the future if the show does take place in our future... that this one tune would be the one they would hear.

But, what song WOULD it be?  This song always had a kind of mystic, apocolyptic feel for me, so it seemed to work with the tone of the show... *shrug* it may be to early to judge, let's see where they go with it, there may a good explanaition coming in 2008 (jeeze why so long!!!).
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 11:39:10 AM »
Yeah, sorry to rip on the song, I really don't hate it, or anything (especially not the Hendrix take). I'm just tired of the fact that certain artists are entirely unassailable - not least because they're almost universally the ones that set up the rules and boundaries of Pop/Rock in the mid- to late 60s. They're revered for having broken the rules, yet whenever anyone tries to break their rules, they'r eslammed for being pretentious, insincere or other similar things.

Just a pet peeve to add to the annoyance, really.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 03:30:27 PM »
there may a good explanaition coming in 2008 (jeeze why so long!!!).

I saw one quote that made me laugh "who do they think they are? BattleSopranos Galatica?"