login

Author Topic: Did you see BSG jump the shark?  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
Did you see BSG jump the shark?
« on: March 26, 2007, 11:26:36 PM »
All Along the Watchtower?

Whoever dreamed up that thick slice of idiocy needs to be punished for ruining a great series in one fell swoop. Oh, well. That BSG S4 off my list.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
Re: Did you see BSG jump the shark?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 11:30:04 PM »
LA LA LA LA LA. Watching the show on DVD...

I saw Watchtower quotes in the headlines on AICN, but was strong enough not to read spoilers. Just tell me they didn't actually play the song in the show. Cause that would contradict all reality.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 11:52:09 PM by Sharktopus »

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 11:44:48 PM »
I'm not going to tell you that.

I would dearly LOVE to tell you that, but I can't.

Dear GODS how I wish I could tell you that.

Offline Douglin

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 11:48:46 PM »
I'm fine with them using it.
Think about it, they're going to Earth and a big part of the show is the whole "All this has happened before, All this will happen again" bit.
So it makes sense that we'll see bits of our culture seeping into the show.

Plus if you know how the original show ended you knew something like this was going to happen at some point.  When Apollo went to find  that "unknown" craft I was so expecting it to be one of the voyager spacecrafts.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 11:54:00 PM »
Sorry, not buying it. Even if they'd used a passable song instead of a three-chord bore-fest and hadn't rendered it into lame pseudo-Metal in the score, it wouldn't have worked on any level whatsoever.

Absolutely, stunningly pathetic on every level I can think of.

All this above and beyond the final five Cylon reveal, which makes no sense at all in context of what has gone before.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 02:41:19 AM »
It jumped the shark for using a Bob Dylan song? That's a little harsh. And is there any reason to think they are the actual final 5 models other than "omg we've come to the same room we must be cylons!"?

Offline Douglin

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 03:00:07 AM »
is there any reason to think they are the actual final 5 models other than "omg we've come to the same room we must be cylons!"?

I don't know about 5 but at least 4 of them are confirmed by Ron Moore:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07085/770732-352.stm

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 03:06:12 AM »
Ok so confimation from outside the show.

Here is an interesting article on the song http://www.bearmccreary.com/html/blog/blogmain.htm

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 03:29:55 AM »
"As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me"
-Comic Book Guy
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Scrivener

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7
  • P.S. Productions: Getting the last word in.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 05:25:17 AM »
Yesterday, I was tempted to make a highly complimentary post about the members of the Rifftrax boards.  I was going to give proof positive that we weren't just another bunch of geeks, and that proof was ... that in the several months I've been lurking, and then posting, not once had I seen a "Batlestar Galactica" thread.

I was too lazy to make the post yesterday, and figured I could just make it today if the inspiration stayed with me.

Boy, what a difference a day makes.
Buy P.S.Productions' iRiffs.  NOW AVAILABLE:

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 08:54:43 AM »
The thing is, BSG being SCI Fi is...well, was kind of incidental to it just generally being a quality show.

Now, as long as no one posts about crap like Stargate...

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 09:14:04 AM »
I can see why someone might be annoyed at the song, but one of the religious themes of the show is that everything happens again, and I think the song sets up the show to happen in 'this' universe. at whatever time.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 09:25:10 AM »
I thought it was great.  We'll see how this plays out, but what I get from it is that they are picking up a signal from Earth that only the cylons can hear.  But, yeah, like another poster said, the philosophy has always been, "This has all happened before, it will all happen again..."  A never ending cycle of human history... and stuff...

So, it could work if it's handled correctly.  Plus, I love the song... so...
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 09:38:59 AM »
I thought that show was cancelled in 1979...

(yes, I know)
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 10:56:12 AM »
I can see why someone might be annoyed at the song, but one of the religious themes of the show is that everything happens again, and I think the song sets up the show to happen in 'this' universe. at whatever time.

I would mind less if they'd chosen a cultural artefact that wasn't so one-dimensional, specifically tied to the Western World and a very narrow era of Pop music. Also, maybe if they'd taken any song and/or artist that wasn't so overrated because of the unassailable canonization afforded all those who made simple popular music when the Baby Boomers were young.

Their choice of song is really only a teensy bit better than having the exact same thing happen in the show with Detroit Rock City, Livin' on a Prayer, Rock Me Amadeus, My Humps or some other hit tune. Yeah, Dylan is a slightly better lyricist than any of the writers of aforementioned songs, but on a scale of our entire civilization's amassed culture, only marginally so.

It breaches the integrity of the show and its universe, unless you hold All Along the Watchtower in some sort of extremely high reverence . It's an old, simplistic little ditty that Hendrix managed to breathe some life into by virtue of his performance, not because the notes, chords and words were particularly amazing on any level. It's a pretty good work of popular culture, not a pinnacle of high art. Having a meeting/discovery of civilization(s) hinging on it is way beyond ludicrous.