login

Author Topic: Discovery Channel: Future Weapons - The Boomarang  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • *Platypus Sound*
Discovery Channel: Future Weapons - The Boomarang
« on: March 26, 2007, 09:28:15 PM »
Yeah I just caught the tail end of the episode, called 'Immediate Action'.  It features the Boomerang: a sniper detection system that's currently in use in Afghanistan and Iraq.  It's a system of seven microphones that are mounted together on a Humvee.  It can pinpoint the direction, range, and elevation of a sniper in 1-1 1/2 seconds!  Here's the air times for the episode this week...

http://dsc.discovery.com/tvlistings/series.jsp?series=25429&gid=0&channel=DSC

Offline timechaser

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 3
Re: Discovery Channel: Future Weapons - The Boomarang
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 04:00:06 PM »
I like this show along with everything else on Discovery Channel, but don't you think the host guy would make a really good pro wrestler? Its just how he always whispers intensely, plus he's bald if that helps.
He split Robin's arrow in twain!!

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 04:19:53 PM »
Actually yeah, except that he seems more dignified than your Triple H or your John Cena. He could easily be our next Keifer Sutherland though.

Offline nanites_r_us

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
  • i wish i lived in 'next sunday A.D. '
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 03:51:56 PM »
if anyone caught the last episode Episode 12: Future Combat, all the new technology that they employed was previewd in one way or another by viideo games such as ghost recon:advanced warfighter or battlefield2. i personaly think that the Future Combat Systems now in the works will no doubt make military combat easier for troops, but will also make the us armed forces more dependant on electronics and technology eventually weakening it overall if their should ever be a EMP attack on the US. i'm sure there are systems in the works that could be employed to help prevent such an attack, but until such a fully functional system is in operation. it's my belief that if  the US suffers such an attack tomorrow, the armed forces will be nothing more than a crippled mass. (sorry if i sound to preachy, it's not my intention to).
You know it's hard enough trying to decide on which movie to see at a theater, much less trying to find someone to help pay the massive amount of money it takes just to see one these days. i mean it'd help if movies these days were actually interesting, but so far no dice on that front...

Offline Reductio_ad_absurdum

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
    • A Singular Way
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 05:15:04 PM »
if anyone caught the last episode Episode 12: Future Combat, all the new technology that they employed was previewd in one way or another by viideo games such as ghost recon:advanced warfighter or battlefield2. i personaly think that the Future Combat Systems now in the works will no doubt make military combat easier for troops, but will also make the us armed forces more dependant on electronics and technology eventually weakening it overall if their should ever be a EMP attack on the US. i'm sure there are systems in the works that could be employed to help prevent such an attack, but until such a fully functional system is in operation. it's my belief that if  the US suffers such an attack tomorrow, the armed forces will be nothing more than a crippled mass. (sorry if i sound to preachy, it's not my intention to).

If such an attack hit us and fried Military hardware, our soldiers being "crippled" is the lesser catastrophe.  Such an attack would wipe out our entire energy grid, all automobiles except for really old models, and cause mass chaos.  It would effectively thrust us into another Great Depression I would say even if they got it up and running in a good amount of time.  The ramifications of the hysteria and its tidal wave would rip banks apart like it did then.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 05:30:42 PM »
it's my belief that if  the US suffers such an attack tomorrow, the armed forces will be nothing more than a crippled mass.

If we were attacked tomarrow by EMP weapons, they would have to either come from the future or from the movie GoldenEye.

Offline nanites_r_us

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
  • i wish i lived in 'next sunday A.D. '
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 06:08:54 PM »
what i stated was hypothetical. i know that it's not even close to possible to attack with emp as of yet. but the case still stands that as militaries such as the US armed forces and others like the british royal military rely more on technology than anything, it'd be a world of hurt for such governments. not to mention the global economy as a whole. mind you it's not entirely impossible for there to be an emp attack russia still has several nuclear weapons as well as the budding nuclear power of korea. and with that brings an ever greater danger of not just nuclear but emp attacks.
You know it's hard enough trying to decide on which movie to see at a theater, much less trying to find someone to help pay the massive amount of money it takes just to see one these days. i mean it'd help if movies these days were actually interesting, but so far no dice on that front...