login

Author Topic: Vinyl  (Read 9236 times)

Offline George-2.0

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 235
Re: Vinyl
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2019, 08:46:31 PM »
I was sittin' going through my old LPs - enjoying the cover art. Not that you can't do interesting things with CDs (Aimee Mann's got some nice CD packaging that's won a few awards over the years), but I just love the large size, the gatefolds, the gimmick covers Alice Cooper used to do (ala the Schools Out LP, which open like a school desk, and the album itself was covered by a pair of panties.)

I was listening to some of my old Nazareth records. While known for blues flavored hard rock, they dabbled with a little of everything (Scottish Folk, AOR)

Seeing the covers, listening to the tracks, brought back memories...

I used to put the album covers on a music stand, and stare at the good ones while I played the record.

Of course, I had to give their album masterpiece a go, Hair of the Dog

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vp6-8g-nw4A" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vp6-8g-nw4A</a>

« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:01:17 PM by George-2.0 »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2558
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2019, 11:08:07 AM »
I finally have a nice copy of the Beatles white album on white vinyl.   I've wanted one since the mid 80s when I would occasionally see one in a used record shop, but they were always way out of my price range back then since I was poor (the reason I was going to used record shops in the first place :D ).

I got the US release since near mint condition copies of those are not too expensive, I payed $60 for mine, the jacket is a bit worn but the discs are pristine.  The UK pressings are supposed to sound much better but they start at around $250 and go up from there.  Of course you have to take some of those claims that certain pressings are much better with a grain of salt, some of that talk is people listening to them on super high end equipment, I doubt the average person playing it on a a few hundred bucks worth of equipment would be able to tell the difference.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4307
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2019, 11:14:52 AM »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3071
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2019, 11:47:24 AM »
There's an underappreciated gem from the mascot era of 16-bit games.