Author Topic: Perry Mason  (Read 377 times)

Offline The Elusive Robert Denby

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 6
    • The Kraalspace
Perry Mason
« on: April 16, 2014, 07:52:33 PM »
My husband and I are enjoying the Perry Mason series now out on dvd.  I never watched these when I was a kid - too serious and grown-up for me, I wanted to watch cartoons!  But I appreciate them now, especially the 50s early 60s style.  Another fun thing is spotting all the character actors we recognize from other TV series and movies.

Tonight we watched the Season 4 episode "The Case of the Difficult Detour".  One of the actors looked familiar; my husband thought it was the Professor from Gilligan's Island, but I eventually identified him as Jason Evers, who played Dr. Bill Cortner on the infamous "The Brain The Wouldn't Die", so famously riffed by MST3K.  We couldn't help ourselves, and started riffing as we watched:

"I've got to look over some papers." 
"Sleazy, slutty papers..."
Flat, drab passion meanders across the screen!

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
Re: Perry Mason
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:32:56 PM »
At one point I was working through Barnaby Jones! I should check if my local rental service has Perry Mason too.

At one point I was also watching Mission Impossible, that's when I discovered the modern series just shamelessly remade original episodes.

Oh and Columbo is another good one for seeing recognisable faces, that was the first time I saw Leslie Nielson in a serious role after growing up knowing him purely as a comedian.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:26:12 PM by BathTub »

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 173
Re: Perry Mason
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 09:06:11 PM »
My parents watch Perry Mason, Columbo and Emergency religiously on Me-TV. It's fun if you like to play that 'spot that random actor' game.

The worst is when I noticed Kurt Russell on an episode of Hawaii Five-O. I glanced at the TV for a moment, and then went on to do other things. The problem is that I spent five minutes telling Dad about Reb Brown before I realized it was Russell. Whoops.

That's when it dawns on you that you watch too much MST3k. ;)