login

Author Topic: World 1-What did we Learn?  (Read 5626 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 460
World 1-What did we Learn?
« on: March 21, 2014, 03:03:45 PM »
I've not watched the riff yet, in fact haven't seen the movie itself since it came out in theaters other than maybe the occasional snippet here and there on TV or on the internet.  So looking very forward to what The Guys do with this. I'm also scared of this movie.

But, really, this is an awesome score on their part to get this one because even though the movie was a bomb and a disaster (which, maybe, the rights holders are still trying to make their money back on it?) it wouldn't be one I would think RT could get its hands on as a VOD.

So I don't know if that they DID get the rights speaks more to how much pull Rifftrax has and how much they can get companies to release their IP to them or if it speaks to just how utterly crappy this movie is that even the rights holders don't care what is done with it.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
Re: World 1-What did we Learn?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 03:26:11 PM »
The makers of this movie thought kids my age (back then) were REALLY REALLY STUPID!

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 03:32:20 PM »
The makers of this movie thought kids my age (back then) were REALLY REALLY STUPID!

"Make a movie called "Super Mario Brothers" and they will come."
"Ummm what if we do a bad job and they tell their friends it sucked?"
"Just do it! We've got a ship-load of tie-in cereal from Japan to sell!"

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 04:00:29 PM »
Fortunately, for me, my family was living in Israel when this movie came out and we didn't get to see it until we got back and it WASN'T in theaters. But it was the worst VHS rental ever, let me tell ya.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 04:30:53 PM »
I really love "Love Ballad from Super Mario Bros." over the end credits. Don't remember that at all. So fitting.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 06:43:10 PM »
I learned that...

Bob-Ombs will ignite their own fuse, which really serves no purpose as far as the timing on the detonation is concerned, and then walk until a convenient point at which to detonate; but then that detonation will not prove to be fatal or damaging in any way whatsoever.

That Reebok's market penetration was so shallow in the early 1990s that they decided that they needed to have a tiny product placement in this movie in order to appeal to children who otherwise would have no reason whatsoever to buy their shoes or even know who they are.

I learned that it makes perfect sense to name your son the same thing as his surname.

That two people can be considered brothers even if one is the adopted son of the other.

The vehicles in Dinohattan apparently run off the same electrical-antennae based system as the bumper cars at a theme park. Even though it also seems the cars do not need to be in constant contact with the power grid in order to operate.

That when you de-evolve you turn from a bipedal humanoid creature to a bipedal dinosaur-oid creature to a fungus-like creature.  But when you evolve from the humanoid form you simply get smarter with no physical changes at all.

It's possible for you brain to grow vastly smaller to the point it's pretty much nothing since you're fungus but it's then possible for that lost brain matter and the knowledge it contains to not impact your ability to be and act as living being and, further, it just comes back when you "evolve" back to a higher form.

There's a reason why I haven't watched this movie since I saw it in theaters when I was 14.

Offline LuvBJones

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 43
  • Dairy Council took my thumbs
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 08:36:54 PM »
I was an adult when this movie came out. So I never watched it. Until now. I remember seeing a matinee of The Magic Sword (MST3K) in the very early Seventies. And I think I learned that Magic Sword is the better film.
WARNING: In case of Rapture, this dance belt will be unoccupied.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 693
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 12:35:20 PM »
Evolution. Fuck it. Humans can evolve from dinosaurs just as well as apes.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 01:15:49 PM »
20 minutes in, is it going to be another 80 minutes of 'that wasn't in the movie'?  ::)
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5618
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 01:19:17 PM »
20 minutes in, is it going to be another 80 minutes of 'that wasn't in the movie'?  ::)
You mean 'that wasn't in the video game'? Yeah, they do that through the movie, but I didn't think they relied too heavily on it, IMHO.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 01:34:27 PM »
Yeah, that.

So far it just seems very Star Wars prequel-ish where telling you that the movie is bad is used instead of jokes.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 07:25:57 PM »
I learned this movie's makers don't know the difference between apes (which humans evolved from) and monkeys which are a completely different kind of mammal from which humans did NOT evolve.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 07:39:58 PM »
I learned this movie's makers don't know the difference between apes (which humans evolved from) and monkeys which are a completely different kind of mammal from which humans did NOT evolve.
Not really surprising. There are a lot of people that probably don't really understand the difference.

Although if Scapelli de-evolved into a big silverback gorilla and proceeded to tear Koopa to pieces, that would have been hilarious.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 07:45:04 PM »
Not really surprising. There are a lot of people that probably don't really understand the difference.

Although if Scapelli de-evolved into a big silverback gorilla and proceeded to tear Koopa to pieces, that would have been hilarious.

Hi, I'm Bob Evil.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 07:45:42 PM »

Hi, I'm Bob Evil.
Any relation to Bob Jackass?