login

Author Topic: So, we have this new VOD - Super Mario Bros!  (Read 18451 times)

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
Re: So, we have this new VOD - Super Mario Bros!
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 06:34:23 PM »
I was surprised they didn't make anything from the fact that when the various characters went back to our world, they just stepped through the wall. But when Luigi and Mario came to the dinosaur world, a lot was made about the chasm in front of the wall on our side. So really, those people should have fallen to their deaths.

SSSHHHH! You'll wake the Continuity Monster! We can't have that guy ruining our horrible movie!

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2014, 11:09:54 PM »
Frankly i think a Super Mario Bros. Movie was Doomed to Fail. Especially in 1994. I mean what is the basic Story to most every Mario Game. Bowser Kidnapps the Princess. Then you spend 200 levels to get her back, The End. Its not really much to work with to make a live action movie. Especially When CGI was in its infancy. They might have been able to come up with something better. But somehow i doubt it would have been anything like the Video Game. I think Zelda would make better source material for a movie.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:46:14 PM by Road_Element »

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2014, 03:14:09 AM »
Frankly i think a Super Mario Bros. Movie was Doomed to Fail. Especially in 1994. I mean what is the basic Story to most every Mario Game. Bowser Kidnapps the Princess. Then you spend 200 levels to get her back, The End. Its not really much to work with to make a live action movie. Especially When CGI was in its infancy. They might have been able to come up with something better. But somehow i doubt it would have been anything like the Video Game. I think Zelda would make better source material for a movie.

As I said somewhere else the basic premise of Super Mario Brothers is essentially an ordinary man must overcome extraordinary odds against a more powerful foe in order to save someone, that's a pretty damn basic story line that's in the heart of a lot of fiction and classic story telling.

We didn't need to see Mario running down a colorful landscape bashing bricks to find gold-coins and jumping on turtles, but certainly there's *something* in the middle between that and what we got.  There's virtually nothing in this movie that resembles the video-game. How they went from the colorful video-game of Overworlds and Underworlds to this industrial mess of dystopia is beyond anyone. 

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 178
  • God rest you Brother.
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2014, 10:10:38 AM »
This movie reminds me of Alien From L.A.
And I'm worse than Hitler.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2014, 12:49:51 PM »
Huh, seems this video is an "edit" of the original.  I guess in the original as the "dimensions" merge we see the World Trade Center dissolve and become Koopa's tower.  This scene isn't in the version used by RT here.  I can certainly understand why it would be edited out, just struck me as interesting.

Offline Locuststakethesky

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 121
  • Just because you CAN edit doesn't mean you should.
    • Book of Face
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2014, 01:38:44 PM »
Huh, seems this video is an "edit" of the original.  I guess in the original as the "dimensions" merge we see the World Trade Center dissolve and become Koopa's tower.  This scene isn't in the version used by RT here.  I can certainly understand why it would be edited out, just struck me as interesting.
This would probably explain why the subtitles I downloaded weren't in sync at the end.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 768
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 04:59:30 AM »
I wonder if RiffTrax did the editing or that was the master provided?  I just want it to match the blu-ray coming this year so I can replace the god awful non-anamorphic video.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2014, 09:13:09 AM »
We didn't need to see Mario running down a colorful landscape bashing bricks to find gold-coins and jumping on turtles, but certainly there's *something* in the middle between that and what we got.  There's virtually nothing in this movie that resembles the video-game. How they went from the colorful video-game of Overworlds and Underworlds to this industrial mess of dystopia is beyond anyone.

I'd bet that if a movie was made now instead of 1993, there would probably be dystopic and dark elements. Because, you know, The Dark Knight + popular IP = major $$$. (Or so plenty of studio execs think.) Had there been someone at Nintendo with pull and experience in Hollywood, the project would have been very, very different. Kind of like how anyone who wants to make Halo has to go through Microsoft or how Naughty Dog's development of The Last of Us involves people who've worked on the game.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2014, 09:26:34 AM »
I would like to see a reboot of this, being much closer to the games (not dark and gritty). I think after the Lego Movie was so successful, there is no reason such a goofy premix and look couldn't work.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2014, 12:11:11 PM »
I would like to see a reboot of this, being much closer to the games (not dark and gritty). I think after the Lego Movie was so successful, there is no reason such a goofy premix and look couldn't work.

If only Capt Lou were still around to bring "dignity" back to the franchise.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 06:45:33 AM »
I wonder if RiffTrax did the editing or that was the master provided?  I just want it to match the blu-ray coming this year so I can replace the god awful non-anamorphic video.

There were only two parts with Koopa Towers (World Trade Center). One right after Fisher Stevens asks if Big Bertha was corpulent, and the second was after Bob Hoskins and Dennis Hopper dematerialize to the mammal dimension and a lady yells "Look!" It's a very easy audio fix.

The video for the DVD and the Rifftrax are almost the same quality, but I think the Rifftrax video's aspect ratio is off just a bit.

The DVD

The Rifftrax ISO

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Book of Face
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2014, 08:50:41 AM »
There were only two parts with Koopa Towers (World Trade Center). One right after Fisher Stevens asks if Big Bertha was corpulent, and the second was after Bob Hoskins and Dennis Hopper dematerialize to the mammal dimension and a lady yells "Look!" It's a very easy audio fix.
It would be an easy audio fix if we had the MP3 of the Riff.  However, it would be difficult to splice in the audio from the cut scenes perfectly in to the Rifftrax audio (I assume; not something I've ever done).  I guess we'll have to wait and see what's on the Blu-Ray.

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2014, 09:09:28 AM »
It would be an easy audio fix if we had the MP3 of the Riff.  However, it would be difficult to splice in the audio from the cut scenes perfectly in to the Rifftrax audio (I assume; not something I've ever done).  I guess we'll have to wait and see what's on the Blu-Ray.

Perhaps easy wasn't the right word. But seriously, it took me about a half an hour to get everything to line up. And a lot of that time was spent finding where it went out of sync.

EDIT: I hope I'm not coming across as argumentative. I would love it if Rifftrax went back to adding the riff audio to the VOD package.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:36:27 AM by Action Batch »

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Book of Face
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2014, 12:04:11 PM »
Perhaps easy wasn't the right word. But seriously, it took me about a half an hour to get everything to line up. And a lot of that time was spent finding where it went out of sync.
EDIT: I hope I'm not coming across as argumentative. I would love it if Rifftrax went back to adding the riff audio to the VOD package.
No big deal.  I guess if I tried it maybe it wouldn't be that bad.  I'm waiting until there's an HD version though since, like you said, the DVD is basically a lateral move outside of the aspect ratio.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2014, 04:19:32 PM »
Yeah I hope there is a straightforward way to upgrade it to HD later on.