login

Author Topic: Ghostbusters the reboot (2015)  (Read 81736 times)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
Re: Ghostbusters the reboot (2015)
« Reply #765 on: August 11, 2016, 02:25:11 PM »
'Ghostbusters' Heading for $70M-Plus Loss, Sequel Unlikely
Confronted by tepid box office for the reboot, the studio will instead focus on animated spinoffs.
That's a shame. While I thought the movie was rather meh, it was strictly because of the bad writing. I liked the characters (even Leslie Jones, who I thought I wouldn't based on the trailer).
The worst part is the meninists and other pointless haters that will treat this as a victory.

Why are you blaming the Amish for this?

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 623
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #766 on: August 11, 2016, 03:50:12 PM »
and how do you lose $70m?

$181,614,009    
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ghostbusters2016.htm
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #767 on: August 14, 2016, 12:36:43 AM »
'Ghostbusters' Heading for $70M-Plus Loss, Sequel Unlikely
Confronted by tepid box office for the reboot, the studio will instead focus on animated spinoffs.
That's a shame. While I thought the movie was rather meh, it was strictly because of the bad writing. I liked the characters (even Leslie Jones, who I thought I wouldn't based on the trailer).
The worst part is the meninists and other pointless haters that will treat this as a victory.

Well... why shouldn't they? I don't mean that as some crazy MRA defense.... but seriously.... it was a rather poorly executed movie. How many male comedians get a break for *lol* bad writing?

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #768 on: August 14, 2016, 03:55:40 AM »
What would their victory be?

And let's see, Grown Ups 2, Joe Dirt 2, Evan Almighty, Home Alone 4, Men in Black 3, The Santa Clause 3, American Pie 1000000, The Hangover part 3, Scary Movie whatever, Nutty Professor 2... How many do you need?

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 375
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #769 on: September 15, 2017, 06:50:11 AM »
Sorry for necropost.

I never caught this movie in the theaters, but I did grab the DVD out of a Redbox about 6 months ago.  It was an okay movie.  It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible.  I hate Leslie Jones (not personally, I just think she's a bad actress), but she was not front and center in the movie so I could deal with it.  Kristin Wiig is always a delight, and I like Kate McKinnon too although not as consistently as Kristen Wiig.

I hated that there was so much needless controversy over this movie.  Like its existence somehow sullies the original movie from the 1980s.  I mean, that movie still exists.  If you want to enjoy it, enjoy it and avoid this one.  I do wish they'd given this one a different title though, to make things less confusing.

One of the dumbest things I saw regarding this movie was when Angry Video Game Nerd put out a video saying he wouldn't review the movie.  I don't think THAT is particularly dumb, but afterwards, a bunch of videos popped up defending him against some sort of backlash.  Except I saw virtually no backlash, and I looked really hard for one.  There were easily at least twice as many people defending him as there were people attacking him as a sexist.  I think the only time I ever saw anyone call AVGN a sexist was in screenshots added to the defenders' videos.  Social media is such a stupid place.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #770 on: December 21, 2018, 11:18:20 PM »
Sorry for necropost.

I never caught this movie in the theaters, but I did grab the DVD out of a Redbox about 6 months ago.  It was an okay movie.  It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible.  I hate Leslie Jones (not personally, I just think she's a bad actress), but she was not front and center in the movie so I could deal with it.  Kristin Wiig is always a delight, and I like Kate McKinnon too although not as consistently as Kristen Wiig.

I hated that there was so much needless controversy over this movie.  Like its existence somehow sullies the original movie from the 1980s.  I mean, that movie still exists.  If you want to enjoy it, enjoy it and avoid this one.  I do wish they'd given this one a different title though, to make things less confusing.

One of the dumbest things I saw regarding this movie was when Angry Video Game Nerd put out a video saying he wouldn't review the movie.  I don't think THAT is particularly dumb, but afterwards, a bunch of videos popped up defending him against some sort of backlash.  Except I saw virtually no backlash, and I looked really hard for one.  There were easily at least twice as many people defending him as there were people attacking him as a sexist.  I think the only time I ever saw anyone call AVGN a sexist was in screenshots added to the defenders' videos.  Social media is such a stupid place.

Sorry for super duper extra special double secret probation thread necro.... but.....

Why the hell would there ever be any backlash for somebody deciding to not review a movie? Let alone a misguided and transparent effort to cash in nostalgia bucks? The Ghostbusters remake was doomed from day one. The original was a Bill Murray movie while Bill Murray was in his prime... and no offense to Kristen Wiig, who is plenty talented, but she is no Bill Murray in his prime. This isn't some grand attack on women... it's not some hopeless desire to hold onto nostalgia... it's just undeniable fact... the original is better in every way.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4477
« Reply #771 on: December 22, 2018, 08:48:39 AM »
Most of the complaints seemed to be questioning if the video was really necessary.  In other words, the whole "this could have been a memo".

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #772 on: December 22, 2018, 09:38:31 AM »
He only made that video because he knew his fans would incessantly ask him if he had seen it and what his thoughts were. He was just trying to prevent that annoyance. Some other people snarkily called him "brave" for doing that, and the backlash was because a lot of people seemed to think he was being arrogant for making that video, as if he considered himself brave for not seeing the movie. Which he didn't.
It's a "damned if you do" and "damned if you don't" type situation.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #773 on: December 22, 2018, 09:27:41 PM »
He only made that video because he knew his fans would incessantly ask him if he had seen it and what his thoughts were. He was just trying to prevent that annoyance. Some other people snarkily called him "brave" for doing that, and the backlash was because a lot of people seemed to think he was being arrogant for making that video, as if he considered himself brave for not seeing the movie. Which he didn't.
It's a "damned if you do" and "damned if you don't" type situation.
I agree with this. This whole thing wouldn't have been an issue if the movie was good. But it wasn't... it was a mess. The funniest two people in the movie were the Ernie Hudson and Annie Potts replacements... that's not good.

[Please don't ban me, this is an active conversation and nothing I've said can be considered inflammatory... have mercy!!!]

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #774 on: December 22, 2018, 09:55:28 PM »
it's just undeniable fact... the original is better in every way.

I can name one way the remake is better - it doesn't star a domestic abuser like Bill Murray.
FINE

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #775 on: December 22, 2018, 10:03:09 PM »
it's just undeniable fact... the original is better in every way.

I can name one way the remake is better - it doesn't star a domestic abuser like Bill Murray.

Well, I'm not fully up to speed on the domestic abuser claims against Murray... but I can still enjoy The Naked Gun even though it stars OJ Simpson.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #776 on: December 22, 2018, 10:08:15 PM »
I also don't see you championing him in order to put others down.
FINE