login

Author Topic: Ghostbusters the reboot (2015)  (Read 81696 times)

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 623
  • Riff Super Monsters
Ghostbusters the reboot (2015)
« on: March 19, 2014, 05:19:39 PM »
Ivan Reitman Out as 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Director
Sony is planning an early 2015 production start for the film.

Third Installment Of ‘Ghostbusters’ A Go For Early 2015;
Death Of Pal Harold Ramis Prompts Ivan Reitman To Turn Over Directing Reins
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:14:33 PM by Henry88 »
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5711
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Ghostbusters III (2015)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 05:30:15 PM »
I'm just hoping this is the start of this project truly unraveling.

While I like Venkman, I think that he is not entirely necessary for the Ghostbusters. But Egon and Ray are the whole reason the Ghostbusting technology exists at all. Without Egon, it really just feels wrong. At this point it feels like a slap in the face to Harold Ramis to continue with a sequel and not just a complete reboot. And I don't really want to see a reboot either.

Just wait 5 or 10 years and do a straight reboot. Preferably with a different storyline so as to bring something new to the table.

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 06:15:53 PM »
It's like clockwork. An influential figure to the original dies, and suddenly traction happens on the reboot. Just like when the Get Smart movie actually started happening after Don Adams died. Whenever this happens, the cynical side of me wonders if the studio's thinking "Ooh, strike while the revered-memory iron is hot," and the REALLY cynical side of me wonders if the studio's thinking "Thank God, we don't have to worry about appeasing that old guy anymore."

I'm sure they're still going with the Extreme GB-esque "next generation" plotline, so Ray and possibly Winston would probably make the token appearance training the new recruits.

As much as I don't want a Ramis-less Ghostbusters to happen...a friend of mine suggested Chris Pratt could play one of the new, younger Ghostbusters...and I kind of DO want to see THAT happen. I'M SO CONFLICTED.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 06:22:10 PM »
That's my big conflict too. I don't want to see Ghostbusters without Ramis or Reitman, but I absolutely need more Ghostbusters. There's sooo much potential still there.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 04:05:04 AM »
It is telling that in the animated world, when they moved on with a new set of Ghostbusters, Egon was the mentor character.  I'm not sure how they can have a handoff story without him.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline doggans

• doggans.com
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 07:49:05 AM »
...on the other hand, something like THIS could get me excited again.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 09:54:39 AM »
...on the other hand, something like THIS could get me excited again.
Crap, now I'm conflicted again. I can't think of a better recent example of "better than it had any right to be" movie than The LEGO Movie.

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 10:05:16 AM »
Making a fun film out of meatballs? No problem.
A cheesy 80s TV series? Game on.
Legos? Awesome challenge accepted.

With that resume, making a sequel to one of the most beloved comedies ever which nobody wanted to begin with seems like a breeze.

And as someone who was dreading this thing, getting those guys aboard would change my mind completely. Because they've shown an ability to get the right people (Rogan? Pratt? Hill? McBride? Glover? Robinson? Wiig? Poehler?) and be respectful with everything else so that it doesn't feel like a lousy cash grab. I'd actually want to see how they handle Egon's passing, for example. (Because you know that they just won't write the character out and ignore him.)

The people on my FB feed who were hating the project are like doggans here, going from 'ugh, awful' to '<your favorite expletive>, now I'm interested'. 

If Lord/Miller sign on, then I'd be gulp excited.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 05:31:37 PM »
And as someone who was dreading this thing, getting those guys aboard would change my mind completely. Because they've shown an ability to get the right people (Rogan? Pratt? Hill? McBride? Glover? Robinson? Wiig? Poehler?)

I dont want any of those names to have anything to do with Ghostbusters.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline doggans

• doggans.com
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 07:11:35 PM »
And as someone who was dreading this thing, getting those guys aboard would change my mind completely. Because they've shown an ability to get the right people (Rogan? Pratt? Hill? McBride? Glover? Robinson? Wiig? Poehler?)

I dont want any of those names to have anything to do with Ghostbusters.

If you don't want Chris Pratt to be a Ghostbuster, you are history's greatest monster.

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 07:17:10 PM »
Frankly, Lord/Miller have earned my trust as a filmgoer. Remember the days when everyone thought Channing Tatum was a useless pretty boy? Pretty sure 21 Jump Street was the first step in rehabbing that part of his public image (I think). So whomever they ask is okay by me - Seth Rogen has given interviews where he bagged on the idea of a third film. I suspect if L/M are involved, he would probably sing a different tune.

So consider this cautious and fragile optimism, dependent on whether they actually sign on and are announced as directors.

Offline doggans

• doggans.com
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 07:35:23 PM »
Appropriately enough, Ramis' role as Rogen's dad in Knocked Up was meant to symbolize a sort of passing of the torch from one scripted-enhanced-by-improv-cinematic-comedy generation to the next.

I don't know if Rogen's the BEST choice for a Ghostbuster, but I could easily see him playing one quite well, especially under Lord and Miller's direction.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 08:26:42 PM »
Well, at the very least if this is a third movie and not a reboot, they would just be a Ghostbusters franchise and the world is already established. If it was a reboot we'd have to see them set everything up.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 08:31:05 PM »
But what's cool about Ghostbusters is a reboot wouldn't have to tell the same story at all. There wouldn't have to be a library ghost or a Slimer, or even a Gozer. The possibilities for a team of quirky individuals getting together to start a ghost extermination service are endless.

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 08:33:36 PM »
Might be both sequel and reboot, to be honest. We'll see.

When Jason Reitman held a read-through of the original Ghostbusters script in 2012, his cast was:

Seth Rogen - Venkman
Jack Black - Stantz
Rainn Wilson - Spengler
Phil LaMarr - Zeddemore

Reitman even added 30 extra lines for Rogen, as it turns out most of Murray's dialogue was ad-libbed (shocking, huh?).

I was talking to a friend about the probability of another movie post-Ramis, and the idea of a Rogen/Black/Wilson GB really appealed to him ('I'd preorder tickets').

I agree that Rogen may not be the right guy, but I trust Lord/Miller to find him/her. Anyone else directing the project, that trust goes out the window and I'm all right waiting to see GB3 at the dollar theatre.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:35:16 PM by KidFlash »