Author Topic: All things N64  (Read 4407 times)

Offline AvestheFox

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
  • The Fox Hath Spoken!
    • The Bullock Gallery
All things N64
« on: March 25, 2007, 02:06:18 PM »
Sure, it was a kids system back in the day. but it still holds its place in nastalgia glory! - in fact right now im playing Banjo Tahooie! fun times!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1410
Re: All things N64
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 06:22:34 PM »
Strange.  I never noticed that.  Maybe it's because I was a kid.  But the n64 still had the stigma of being a kid system like the game cube?  I mean, it had some great games for the younger generation, like mario 64 and OOT, but those are considered great games everywhere, not just in the kids genre.  And I mean, n64 had Goldeneye.  There was real blood in that.  And by blood I mean the hue of the textures was changed to be slightly red in the general area where they were probably shot.  And people would fall over and awkwardly limp when you shot them with invisible bullets, vaguely resembling something that could be considered pain, even though there was no facial expression.   I mean, how can you get more violent than that? 

Though I did like goldeneye, and perfect dark even more.  And the controller is to this day my favorite, until the Wii provides me with a more in depth boxing game.  It just felt so good to hold it.  And the blisters I got from that joystick were like battle scars. 

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2975
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 07:00:45 PM »
Nintendo never made "Kids Systems." Nintendo censored Mortal Kombat back in the SNES days and never escaped their branding as a kiddie system. It carried through the N64 days, the Gamecube days, and it'll probably keep on in the Wii days. It's not Nintendo that does it, though. It's developers that think that the only people who buy Nintendo systems want kiddie games, so that's all they ever make for it, so it continues to be branded that way...

More to the topic at hand, the N64 was an awesome machine and made the real push into true 3D gaming. Mario 64's influence can be felt in modern games to this day. :^)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 08:04:05 PM »
Best controller ever + GoldenEye = system I'll love forever.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 08:39:49 PM »
Conker's Bad Fur Day was the most fun I've had with a console game since the days of the original NES.  And a technological achievement, as well.  The piss-stream algorithm alone blows all of Halo out of the water.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 08:52:37 PM »
Conker's Bad Fur Day was the most fun I've had with a console game since the days of the original NES.  And a technological achievement, as well.  The piss-stream algorithm alone blows all of Halo out of the water.

:clap: Conker was easily the high water mark for video games featuring enebriated squirrels. A game where the controls start off wonky 'cause you haven't sobered up yet? Brilliant.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 09:10:09 PM »
:clap: Conker was easily the high water mark for video games featuring enebriated squirrels. A game where the controls start off wonky 'cause you haven't sobered up yet? Brilliant.

I also should mention: The Great Mighty Poo?

Best. Boss Fight. Ever.

[yt=425,350]0w5neFPat1w[/yt]

And here's the aforementioned firefighting sequence:

[yt=425,350]qCtu-pk4lzA[/yt]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 09:20:05 PM by Steve-O »

Offline the long undertow

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 07:55:30 AM »
Sure, it was a kids system back in the day. but it still holds its place in nastalgia glory! - in fact right now im playing Banjo Tahooie! fun times!

If the ps2 were around when we were all 8, I think it would be easier to think of it as a kids system too.  But the purple gamecube and cartoony graphics of a lot of their games helps nintendo to maintain that reputation with a lot of people.

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 10:14:19 AM »
Conker's Bad Fur Day and Goldeneye were two of the best games ever. 

God, the amount of time spent in college playing Goldeneye multiplayer, with One-Hit Kills, Fast Speed and No Radar?  Those were good times. 

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 09:19:19 PM »
Conker's Bad Fur Day and Goldeneye were two of the best games ever.

Not were. Still are.

God, the amount of time spent in college playing Goldeneye multiplayer, with One-Hit Kills, Fast Speed and No Radar?  Those were good times. 

I'm pretty sure I've spent about a quarter of the entirety of waking hours in my life playing GoldenEye.

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 09:57:48 PM »
I don't think anything can beat the Mario-Party and Mario-Kart-R gatherings that we all had back in the day...

See, throwing heat-seeking Koopa shells at your opponent isn't violent, cuz the cloud guy with the fishing pole would come and save you before crashing....
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 10:43:46 PM »
Goldeneye? you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Goldeneye was the WORST excuse for a FPS ever created. I remember in high school all the guys that played Goldeneye where the ones that didn't have computers. The first time I played I was like Whaa? It was like playing a video game version of that Dire Straights video. Even when it was new it quite behind the times.

I do very much like the N64 though, it just seemed to become old very quickly. It's the system with the best wrestling game still yet released in the USA, No Mercy which came out in 2000
I really do like pie.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 10:47:10 PM »
Goldeneye? you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Goldeneye was the WORST excuse for a FPS ever created. I remember in high school all the guys that played Goldeneye where the ones that didn't have computers. The first time I played I was like Whaa? It was like playing a video game version of that Dire Straights video. Even when it was new it quite behind the times.

GoldenEye wasn't designed to be a hardcore FPS, it was just meant to be fun. By that point, PC games had gotten so damn complex that the average person can't play them. With GoldenEye anyone could pick up an N64 controller and get in on the mayhem. I know from personal experience that four guys can play GoldenEye while shit-faced drunk, and that's a good thing.

Offline La De Da

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Spy sappn' my smile.
    • The Wooden Nut
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 12:53:28 AM »
[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eKlbx5niBu8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eKlbx5niBu8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>[/yt]

"Full 360 degree movement around bass. This is only possible due to the silicone cartridge. This type of movement is not possible on CD or other types, they're simply too slow."  *LOL* EAT IT SONY AND SEGA!  Ahhh, nerd humor.

I still have many N64 games around, but one that makes me want to dig out the old system is The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time.  But since I got the GC rerelease, It's still tuck away.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 06:28:12 AM »
Goldeneye? you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Goldeneye was the WORST excuse for a FPS ever created.

How unpopular your opinion must be. Goldeneye is an amazing game.