Author Topic: The 'Just Plain Beautiful' Pictures Thread  (Read 16108 times)

Online Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1253
Re: The 'Just Plain Beautiful' Pictures Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2015, 10:40:52 AM »
Posted a similar picture in the WTF thread, but I feel this belongs here. It's a computer's dream. An algorithm that identifies objects in pictures is shown a picture of random static. It's parameters are tweaked to say "whatever you see in this picture, amplify it". So if it sees the shape of a fish in a cloud, it'll make it much more fishy. And these are the results.

http://googleresearch.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/inceptionism-going-deeper-into-neural.html?m=1

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4220
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2015, 06:48:30 PM »
OK - different kind of 'beautiful' here (not 'animal' or 'scenery').  This is the most beautiful pic of the Andromeda galaxy I've seen.

Explanation: A mere 2.5 million light-years away the Andromeda Galaxy, also known as M31, really is just next door as large galaxies go. So close and spanning some 260,000 light-years, it took 11 different image fields from the Galaxy Evolution Explorer (GALEX) satellite's telescope to produce this gorgeous portrait of the spiral galaxy in ultraviolet light. While its spiral arms stand out in visible light images of Andromeda, the arms look more like rings in the GALEX ultraviolet view, a view dominated by the energetic light from hot, young, massive stars. As sites of intense star formation, the rings have been interpreted as evidence Andromeda collided with its smaller neighboring elliptical galaxy M32 more than 200 million years ago. The large Andromeda galaxy and our own Milky Way are the most massive members of the local galaxy group.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2015, 06:49:31 PM »
Posted a similar picture in the WTF thread, but I feel this belongs here. It's a computer's dream. An algorithm that identifies objects in pictures is shown a picture of random static. It's parameters are tweaked to say "whatever you see in this picture, amplify it". So if it sees the shape of a fish in a cloud, it'll make it much more fishy. And these are the results.

http://googleresearch.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/inceptionism-going-deeper-into-neural.html?m=1

Those are awesome!  In addition to being beautiful, of course.

Reminiscent, in much more complexity, of what Brian Eno does with ambient music (or rather, how he makes some of it).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 06:52:06 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2015, 04:40:40 PM »

The caption for this read: "Meet Sable, the 1 in 100,000 melanic (opposite of albino) Barn Owl that wasn’t rejected by its mother for its unique dark coloring".

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2015, 12:52:24 PM »

soguru

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2015, 12:58:52 PM »
That Owl is looking to become the next Pavarotti.

Those frogs? Beautiful. :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 01:11:18 PM by Soguru »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2015, 02:36:04 AM »

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 526
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2015, 02:46:56 AM »
Tweedle dee and tweedle dum.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2015, 03:40:43 AM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2015, 03:57:32 AM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2015, 10:35:32 AM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2015, 10:54:05 AM »

In the Center of the Trifid Nebula
Image Credit: Subaru Telescope (NAOJ), Hubble Space Telescope, Martin Pugh; Processing: Robert Gendler

Explanation: Clouds of glowing gas mingle with dust lanes in the Trifid Nebula, a star forming region toward the constellation of the Archer (Sagittarius). In the center, the three prominent dust lanes that give the Trifid its name all come together. Mountains of opaque dust appear on the right, while other dark filaments of dust are visible threaded throughout the nebula. A single massive star visible near the center causes much of the Trifid's glow. The Trifid, also known as M20, is only about 300,000 years old, making it among the youngest emission nebulae known. The nebula lies about 9,000 light years away and the part pictured here spans about 10 light years. The above image is a composite with luminance taken from an image by the 8.2-m ground-based Subaru Telescope, detail provided by the 2.4-m orbiting Hubble Space Telescope, color data provided by Martin Pugh and image assembly and processing provided by Robert Gendler.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2015, 08:36:11 AM »

Blue Fairy Wern

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 526
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2015, 08:38:36 AM »
WOW
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2015, 08:43:08 AM »
Looks bite sized. 

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.