Author Topic: The 'Just Plain Beautiful' Pictures Thread  (Read 11944 times)

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3837
The 'Just Plain Beautiful' Pictures Thread
« on: March 10, 2014, 07:20:11 PM »
OK, so we have 'Awesome', 'Adorable', 'Funny', 'Scary', 'Animated', 'Riffed', 'Particularly Amusing Cartoons', and even 'Cool/Interesting/Funny Fanatic/Geek Movie/TV/'other' Collectible Stuff' picture threads.  [Yes, I made links out of each name.  You're welcome. ;)]

But no thread for pictures that are just plain beautiful for whatever reason.  Visual beauty will likely be most common, but emotionally beautiful is perfectly welcome also.  If there's other types of beauty people see that may not be as 'expected', go ahead and label what you find beautiful about what you post.  Please do not post pictures of beautiful people (e.g. 'hot women' or 'hot guys').  If there are people who are beautiful for other than their physical characteristics, they can be posted with a brief description of why you find them beautiful.

I'll start with this picture I just saw, of the most beautiful peacock I've ever seen (a 'Gray' Peacock, though it looks lavender to me).

[The full image is much larger. Right click and 'view image' if you wish to see it.]
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:11:31 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
Re: The 'Just Plain Beautiful' Pictures Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 03:14:18 AM »
OK... no-one else has yet found anything 'beautiful' I guess.  So I'll go again with this stunning fox portrait.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 03:14:48 PM »

The coat color with the darker face coloration is 'just plain beautiful'.  [Of course, some may not think so, because - with the eyes - we basically have the 'orange/teal' color palette. ;)]

Offline The Lurker

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3675
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 03:21:45 PM »
Looks like it has a fantasy vibe to it.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2051
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 03:28:45 PM »

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 12:55:29 AM »

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 07:54:05 PM »

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 02:29:34 AM »
Well... how about a bird to go with that fish two posts up?

Well, it looks like a duck, and probably walks like a duck (what with those webbed feet), but there's something 'non-duckish'-looking about the coloring and the beak.  (Might still be a duck, though.)  Anyone know what it is for sure (they didn't say on the site it was on)?

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2051
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 05:10:40 AM »
It looks like a Mandarin duck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_duck

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 07:35:02 PM »
Thanks!

Remarkable bird... Beautiful plumage!

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 08:40:14 PM »
Any pictures of the beautiful mountains of Illinois?
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 526
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 10:17:28 PM »
No idea who took this photo. Found on web

ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2178
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 04:19:15 PM »
I've taken a few photos from that location, no way I'd do it during a lightning storm, way too, ah, "exposed"....

Closest one I have to the same framing:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:32:26 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 526
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 04:46:58 PM »
I've taken a few photos from that location, no way I'd do it during a lightning storm, way too, ah, "exposed"....

Closest one I have to the same framing:

Wow, that's amazingly close to the same shot!
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2178
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 11:59:05 PM »
Wow, that's amazingly close to the same shot!

It's a pretty obvious spot to take a picture from, it's the Desert View tower at the east entrance to the Grand Canyon National park, short walk west along the rim from the tower.  The tower is not that old, it's designed to look old and falling apart.  Inside is basically the welcome area for the east entrance.

The East end of the park gets a lot fewer visitors than the main area about 30 miles farther west, the canyon isn't as deep, but still impressive, especially if you drive up along the Little Colorado River that enters the canyon just east of the tower.  Only 2 roads go there, one that winds along the canyon inside the park, one that winds its way up from near Flagstaff, so it takes a while.

I wish the day I was in Sedona it was less windy, wanted to get this classic shot but the water was not still to get a perfect reflection.  Took a hour walking around the park to find the spot, made the mistake of initially following where most people were going, turned out the spot was at the other end of the park.  Although I've seen pictures that must have been taken closer and to the right of mine, so there must be an area with shallow pools up past those sloping rocks that go down into the water.