login

Author Topic: This Is Hormel  (Read 5512 times)

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 113
  • The Drugly American
    • Choronzon
Re: This Is Hormel
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2014, 07:59:28 PM »
I thought buffalo rider was offensive (and it was), but this was just overboard. 
I won't ever watch Hormel or  Buffalo Rider again.  For some reason, I'm thinking Moose Baby falls in this category, but I can't remember why.

Know how you feel Miku. I can't watch a RT with a dead cat joke in it and feel the same way about it. As a matter of fact, I only just noticed the one at the end of the Hormel short and now I can't watch that one again. It's an irrational headtrip of mine that I have already talked about here too much - it was why I left a year ago. The dead cat jokes used to be a running thing, appearing in almost every other release, but they toned them down enough for me to return because I do love RT and hate censorship.

But I just want you to know you are not alone, and if anyone gives you crap about it, remember everyone has a squick, and some just are able to ignore them more easily than others. I have damn good reasons for dead cat jokes to bother me.  But any reason is a good reason. If it bothers you, it's nothing to feel ashamed about and I applaud your bravery in admitting this.
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 113
  • The Drugly American
    • Choronzon
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2014, 08:12:51 PM »
I'd guess this short is from the mid-60s.  I looked up the Hormel official site, and they say that they came up with the Hormel Cure 81 ham in 1963; I think it was mentioned in the short, so it would have to have been filmed shortly after.

What really caught my interest was an earlier item on their timeline:

"1949:

In a bold marketing move, Jay C. Hormel established the Hormel Girls, a traveling troupe of 60 musical women, to promote Geo. A. Hormel & Co. products. No one had ever seen the likes of a women’s drum and bugle corps that toured, sang and sold Geo. A. Hormel & Co. products."

Scour the archives!  I'd pay good money to see a video featuring the Hormel Girls!

Only if it's a Foxy Boxing match with the PETA Lettuce girls...
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 525
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2014, 10:51:38 PM »
I thought buffalo rider was offensive (and it was), but this was just overboard. 
I won't ever watch Hormel or  Buffalo Rider again.  For some reason, I'm thinking Moose Baby falls in this category, but I can't remember why.

Know how you feel Miku. I can't watch a RT with a dead cat joke in it and feel the same way about it. As a matter of fact, I only just noticed the one at the end of the Hormel short and now I can't watch that one again. It's an irrational headtrip of mine that I have already talked about here too much - it was why I left a year ago. The dead cat jokes used to be a running thing, appearing in almost every other release, but they toned them down enough for me to return because I do love RT and hate censorship.

But I just want you to know you are not alone, and if anyone gives you crap about it, remember everyone has a squick, and some just are able to ignore them more easily than others. I have damn good reasons for dead cat jokes to bother me.  But any reason is a good reason. If it bothers you, it's nothing to feel ashamed about and I applaud your bravery in admitting this.

I appreciated it!  :)

Dead cat jokes bother me.  Yeah, it's a mental thing. I know they don't mean anything by it....it's absolutely just trying to make people laugh.  But, it still bothers me.... a lot.

I didn't find Hormel funny at all.  The riffs were funny, but it's hard to laugh when you are in shock, and trying not to vomit.

The other movies bothered me because of the obvious animal cruelty involved. Difficult to laugh at a good riff, when I am enraged.

That said, no one has flamed me for feeling this way.  Others have posted how much they enjoyed Hormel.  I have no right to complain about others liking something I don't like.   

I've told a few Rifftrax fans about Hormel, and they refuse to buy it, because it sounds too gross.  I also told them about Buffalo Rider and Moose Baby.  They won't watch those, either.

I'm not angry at Rifftrax for choosing these films, I'm angry at the films.  So, I don't watch them. :)
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2014, 02:41:14 PM »

Ermmmm... In what way is it offensive?

Offline TriffRax

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2014, 02:52:03 AM »
This one of the most perfect shorts they've ever done. All it was missing was a reference to Raymond Scott's "Powerhouse" during the many, many production line shots.