Author Topic: TEH OFFICIAL 2014 NFL SEASON Thread  (Read 69946 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2949
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
TEH OFFICIAL 2014 NFL SEASON Thread
« on: February 14, 2014, 11:14:15 AM »
Since the NFL draft is getting near and trade talks are in the air, might as well get started on a new thread 8)

THIS JUST IN: :o
Breaking News: Cowboys QB Tony Romo Traded To Houston Texans For #1 Overall Pick
February 05, 2014 0 Comment

DALLAS, TX —

Recently out Cowboys QB Tony Romo has just been traded to Texas rival Houston Texans for the #1 overall pick in this years NFL Draft. Romo who just recently came out to the public that he was gay with Cowboys teammate Jason Witten signed a major extension but now Romo is headed to a new part of Texas and to a completely new conference and division.

Houston who is QB needy felt that Romo could be a better option for them now than a rookie or any man on their roster could be now and for the short future that Romo may still have in the NFL. Its unknown what the idea behind this is but Jerry Jones did hint that he liked a QB with his newly acquired  #1 Overall pick. We got to meet with Jones and get his reasoning behind this all:

“There is multiple reasons for this move today. Season after season we find ourselves losing games due to a collapse or a last game interception. Now with all the news about Tony and Jason I needed to do whats best for the whole team and remove those 2 men from being together in our locker room and ruining the chemistry we have here. I cannot allow myself to believe this is okay between these men so I had to make this move.

I had to put my team in the best place and this is only going to help us. We lose a great QB but there is a guy in this draft who we really like for the team but that is not a promise. Dallas Cowboys will be making moves next season and this is one is a very big one that will improve this team.”

Houston GM Rick Smith also gave us a comment about his acquisition of his new QB: “I feel that this is a great move for us. We invest in an elite QB right away who gives us a chance to win games right away. This trade helps us and also saves us from having to develop a rookie QB and the chances of a bust would be a waste of a pick. He got an elite QB for that same price.”

There has been a minority of people who feel this trade is a positive move for Dallas. Houston will cover all of Romo’s cost so Dallas will not take a cap penalty. The GLBT and its supports have also been on Twitter and Facebook complaining and giving their opinions of the homophobic comments from Jones. How will this make Dallas look now after their owner bashed the entire gay community and made is obvious they are not welcome on his football team.
Our local guy, Jadavion Clowney is said to be #1 in the draft this year so this could be a big deal :o
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 11:16:45 AM by RVR II »

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2400
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: TEH OFFICIAL 2014 NFL SEASON Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 11:22:35 AM »
That story is about as accurate as the title of this thread.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 11:52:13 AM »
Seems legit :-X

BiteMe316

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:27:53 PM »

I'm with Bob.  I'm looking at the Dallas Cowboys website and there is nothing about Romo getting traded.  He should be, but whoever posted that needs to get their nuts kicked into their mouth.  :P

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 12:33:34 PM »

I'm with Bob.  I'm looking at the Dallas Cowboys website and there is nothing about Romo getting traded.  He should be, but whoever posted that needs to get their nuts kicked into their mouth.  :P
Here's the link..
http://www.empiresports.co/breaking-news-cowboys-qb-tony-romo-traded-to-houston-texans-for-1-overall-pick/#.Uv5oxe4jrO8.facebook
Maybe they're affiliated with The Onion :o

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 10:07:53 AM »
Just Announced!  :o

The Rematch from SuperBowl 25 :cheers:

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 06:03:47 PM »
Hmmmmm, that games seems......uh, never mind

Rams just sent me the bill for next season's season tickets.   At least they did not raise any ticket prices.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 21
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 11:26:01 PM »
I'd like to get a feel from a St. Louis fan.  A genuine question: Do you think they should draft a QB on the #2 Pick, or roll with Clowney?  Do you think that Sam Bradford is the franchise quarterback, or is another Heisman QB bust?

I honestly don't think any of the projected QB in this years draft are going to be franchise players.  Sure, they'll start; most first round picks with first round money usually do.  Manziel might be entertaining to watch, but i think that his style of play will be found wanting, just like what happened to RG3.  Bortles has all the makeup of what you would wnat in a QB, but is all kinds of raw and unseasoned.  Dozen of QB come in to the league like him, but end up lacking that extra bit.  Bridgewater is the most NFL ready, but he's a mid-level talent at best.  Not mediocre, but not outstanding either.

Any other year with better QBs i'd say drop Bradford, but this year i honestly think it might be a mistake.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 01:58:29 AM »
My guess is the rams will try and trade down a bit to one of the QB needing teams.  I am guessing they will take OT, safety and a WR in their first two rounds.  Maybe we can rip off Washington again with a trade?

Their QB was having a good year until the ACL got hurt.  He is fine and zero chance he will be replaced.  Zero chance.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 02:16:14 PM »
Reports are that the Eagles are letting Vick go.

Yay, I can go back to fully supporting the home team again.  Well, when I feel like it, you know, when they are winning...   ;):D

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 02:18:09 PM »
His career is pretty much over anyway.. He's still toxic but I'm sure some desperate team will pick him up for a year or 2 :-[

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 05:50:20 PM »
Uh Oh! This doesn't sound good for my Panthers.. :speechless:
Steve Smith Responds to Panthers GM's Statements on WR's Future with Team

Updates from Thursday, Mar. 6

Steve Smith spoke to Josina Anderson of ESPN about his status with the Panthers (via Jonathan Jones of the Charlotte Observer):

When asked by ESPN at Clemson's Pro Day about the likelihood of returning to the Panthers in 2014 for his 14th season, Smith said he is still a member of the Carolina Panthers but didn’t say much more.

“Here’s all I have to say about it,” Smith said. “I am working out and doing all the things as I am a Carolina Panther. That’s where I am. And I’ll continue to move forward until I am told otherwise.”

Smith, the franchise’s all-time leading receiver, reiterated his surprise when he heard he was “part of the evaluation process.”Gettleman said those words at the NFL scouting combine, and Tuesday was the first time Smith had spoken with Gettleman since his exit interview following the playoff loss to San Francisco.

“Like every offseason they are making moves and making decisions that are going to be, moving forward, for the betterment of the team,” Smith told ESPN. “Those decisions and those conversations I don’t know all of them. I’m not in the meeting rooms. But we talked about some things. And what we talked about it is what we talked about.”

Carolina Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith's future with the team is in question, and that fact isn't sitting well with the five-time Pro Bowler.

Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman took plenty of observers by surprise when he was less than assertive about the 13-year veteran's status with the team in 2014. According to Will Brinson of CBSSports.com, Gettleman said that he would "evaluate" the situation:

We're going through the whole process. Steve's had a great career. He really has. None of us are here forever. But that's not to say—he's part of the evaluation process. That's just the way it is.

Nobody was more surprised by the comments than Smith, who responded during a radio interview with Keith Larson of WBT-AM in Charlotte.

Per the interview (h/t Pro Football Talk's Darin Gantt), Smith was particularly upset that he wasn't consulted prior to the comments being made:

To be honest, I'm not really sure what to make of it. That's the first time I heard that being said. I wish I would have been afforded an opportunity to be given a heads up from our GM ... The unfortunate part is, I had to hear it second hand. No one spoke to me face to face. It’s a little discouraging. I guess as they say it's part of the business.

At 34 years of age, it is only natural that Smith is starting to decline. His 64 catches for 745 yards and four touchdowns in 2013 were well below his career averages and represented his worst production since 2010.

Smith has broken 1,000 receiving yards in a season on seven occasions, and he is still very much the Panthers' No. 1 receiver in name, especially with Brandon LaFell and Ted Ginn Jr. hitting free agency.

Quarterback Cam Newton needs weapons in the passing game to continue his development, and Smith is undoubtedly his most experienced and trusted target.

Head coach Ron Rivera seems interested in keeping Smith in the fold as he referenced him being part of the team's future, according to the Panthers' official Twitter account:

The NFL is obviously a business, but emotions are bound to get involved. Even if Smith isn't the same player he once was, he has given the Panthers plenty of strong years, and he deserves to be treated with respect.

ESPN's Anthony Becht issued a word of warning to Gettleman as he may be on the verge of playing a very dangerous game with Smith:

The Panthers made considerable progress this past season by going 12-4 to win the NFC South and earn a first-round bye in the playoffs. Getting rid of Smith wouldn't help Carolina improve by any stretch of the imagination.

Gettleman has to know that alienating one of the best players in franchise history is a foolish move, so the best thing that he can do is sit down with Smith and explain the situation. Smith needs to be put at ease, and Gettleman must ensure that everyone is on the same page moving forward.

The Panthers are going to win games with defense and a ball-control offense, but Smith is a true threat in the passing game, and that dimension is necessary for Carolina to take the next step.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 08:44:31 AM »
Oh, and I picked up a few more NFL jerseys on ebay the last couple of days for the sports bar in Mexico.. 8)

Bears - Cutler 6
Rams - Warner 13
Saints - Brees 9
Oilers/Titans - Vanden Bosch 93

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »
Oh, and I picked up a few more NFL jerseys on ebay the last couple of days for the sports bar in Mexico.. 8)

Bears - Cutler 6
Rams - Warner 13
Saints - Brees 9

Oh, good players too.  Nice 

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 04:14:40 PM »

Bears - Cutler 6
Rams - Warner 13
Saints - Brees 9

Oh, good players too.  Nice
I have a couple more I'm eying but they're close to $10 so I'm holding off a bit on those.. 8)