Author Topic: 2014 Winter Olympics  (Read 6151 times)

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 89
Re: 2014 Winter Olympics
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 07:01:51 PM »
That sounds really cool/terrifying. Curling seems like it would be really difficult. Sometimes I wonder how much of a difference those brushes really make.

I spent very little time Curling but I know a fair amount about it because my dad belonged to a curling club and he told me a lot about it. First thing a lot of people don't realize about curling is how difficult it is. The rock is very heavy and you have to impose the perfect amount of force into it using your own body's momentum. The purpose of the sweeper is to melt a small layer of ice to reduce friction and it is very effective.

The reason it's called curling is because if the guy who throws the rock imparts a slight spin onto it the stone turns, or curls, slightly to the direction of the spin.

See I always thought maybe the brush roughened the ice to slow it down, but that makes more sense. I guess this would also increase turn speed to help control the curve of the stone? I'm just guessing.

On a side note: was anyone else amused by Bob Costas saying 'Pussy Riot' not once but twice? Perhaps I am immature.  ;D

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2297
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 08:43:16 AM »
Did anyone else think the fifth snowflake that didn't open into an Olympic ring like the other four looked like an asterix?  As if the bottom of the screen should have read.

* The inclusiveness and acceptance implied by the symbol of the interlocking rings do not necessarily reflect the views of the Russian Government.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 01:29:27 PM »
The only good thing about NBC Olympic coverage is getting to hear this song.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1QxL8GgICrk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1QxL8GgICrk</a>

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 02:48:47 PM »
I like to imagine that was a full episode I just watched. This must've been before my time or something, I've never seen it. I recognize the music though, so now when I'm sitting through those inspirational backstories I'll just think of Bruce Campbell doing a cheesy western accent.  :D

edit: 1994?! This must've had a very short run I'm assuming. Surprised I never saw it before.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 02:51:38 PM by Malt Dismal »

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 02:54:12 PM »
Every two years I wish there were a button I could push that would mute the commentators.  :grr: stfu & stuff  :angry:

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 04:53:53 PM »
I like to imagine that was a full episode I just watched. This must've been before my time or something, I've never seen it. I recognize the music though, so now when I'm sitting through those inspirational backstories I'll just think of Bruce Campbell doing a cheesy western accent.  :D

edit: 1994?! This must've had a very short run I'm assuming. Surprised I never saw it before.

Yup, just one full season. 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 08:21:48 PM »

Yup, just one full season.

It was a truly awesome show, everyone should own the DVD set....

I have NBC on in the background and the single word comments during the figure skating are funny, they are slightly funny while watching but when not watching they are just random funny words.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 09:59:08 PM »
Tonight the amount of commercials was pretty unbearable.  At one point I was watching the clock and it was 5 minutes of commercials and 5 minutes of Olympics, that went on for the hour I payed attention to it.

Offline goflyblind

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 6490
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 10:23:39 AM »
The dream is over.

Russia wanted nothing less than a gold medal as the host country of the 2014 Winter Olympic Games, but it will not get a medal period.

Despite a wealth of scoring potential, the Russians found the net just once in a 3-1 loss to Finland in the Olympic quarter-finals at Bolshoy Ice Dome Wednesday.

Prior to the start of the Olympic Games, Toronto Maple Leafs forward Nikolai Kulemin told CBC if Russia won gold medals in every event, but failed to win gold in hockey the Olympics would be considered a failure in his country.
http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/finland-eliminates-russia-from-men-olympic-hockey.html ***NOTE THE AUTOPLAYING FLASH CRAP***

so is putin gonna have 'em all executed now? :speechless:
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2400
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 04:01:01 PM »
I always wondered why my sister and brother in law named their new (giant) dog Oshie last year. 

Well, they do live in STL and are hockey fans.

Offline goflyblind

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 11:45:50 AM »
uhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn… ot... :speechless:
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline goflyblind

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 11:50:01 AM »
dafuk? so totally a penalty shot. ???
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline goflyblind

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 09:33:12 AM »
go jingoism!
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 960
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2014, 06:33:56 PM »
BTW- I'd like to thank NBC for putting a social commentary box next to the video player so that if I watch a replay, I often have the results listed before the video loads.

Idiots.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2400
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 02:23:36 AM »
That is why I just squinted when watching.

NBC must be new at social devices.

Back to your bad reality shows nbc.