Author Topic: 'Home Movies'  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 89
'Home Movies'
« on: January 27, 2014, 11:26:24 PM »
Brendon Small, John Benjamin, Melissa Galsky. If you know the show u know the names.

If you don't, it's the show the people from 'Bob's Burgers' did before they got their FOX home run. (Also Dr. Katz wayyy back)

Anyways, can't stop watching it lately... I've owned all the dvds for years but I've been watching them every single day for at least the past two months... It's literally on right now as I'm typing this... I've gone through all 4 seasons like 3 or 4 times now, every episode. I think there might be something wrong with me. Help... Help me.... Can't stop...

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: 'Home Movies'
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 08:10:03 AM »
Home Movies is like peanuts. If, on a whim, you pop in a DVD to watch an episode, get ready for a 4-season marathon.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »
I won't lie, despite my adoration of Jon Benjamin and Bob's Burgers, I was never a fan of this show. I have seen the first 10 episodes.

I do love Dr. Katz, though. I wish that was available on Netflix.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 10:13:53 PM »
This show is one of the first I ever saw on [adult swim]. I pretty much loved it from the start. The weird, semi-improvised way all the dialogue is delivered is perfect for the tone they're after, and makes for some very funny (and occasionally very sweet) stuff.

Plus, the show introduced me to H. Jon Benjamin, who I also loved from the start. Coach McGuirk is practically the lifeblood of the show. Particular favorite moments include his pee-filled canteen (always a favorite of my Dad's), his singing on stage while trapped in his car, his effort to stay awake for a week to buy a DVD player, his insistence that no one likes sick people when prompted about the new disabled kid on the soccer team... you know what, pretty much every moment with him is a favorite.

Wish it would come back to Netflix Instant, I'm kinda getting a craving for it right now...

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 12:37:07 AM »
Yeah without him the show simply would have never worked.

Lately Jason has become my new favorite character, pretty much neck and neck with McGurk. Both of them seem to never do wrong when on screen. I love when they start picking on Melissa.  :D

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 07:00:03 AM »
I was heavily into this show in late 2007 when I bought my current car.  It's a red convertible, so my brother insisted I name it.  I did, and I named it Melissa.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 12:14:50 PM »
I used to watch it pretty regularly, enough so that when I saw other shows with Jon Benjamin my reaction was "hey, it's McGurk" for a couple years.  "Hey, it's McGurk" was always a selling point for me.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 12:48:19 PM »
I think my favorite episode is "Bye Bye Greasy." They spend the first part of the episode setting up the perfect train wreck and it's sooo hilarious to watch it all fall apart.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 05:47:35 AM »

Damn those corporations & advertisers into programming us to think the only way is milk-cereal. *shakes fists*

McGuirk's cereal-rant is probably my all-time favorite non-sequitur. Home Movies is the best.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 08:32:03 PM »
It's funny there's a commercial running right now where some mom pours OJ into a cereal bowl, and it always makes me think of McGurk.