login

Author Topic: The Wizard of Oz  (Read 5189 times)

Offline AMKR

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 7
  • Source Aura
    • Aeons Old - SoundCloud
Re: The Wizard of Oz
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 11:50:27 AM »
And who doesn't wanna see the poster for that?  I'm actually not a big fan of the whole big-head artwork (I hope I'm in a minority for their sake), but that's a poster I would seriously wanna get.  The question tho... who would be who?

Dis would, of course, be the Tin Man
Bill would be the Cowardly Lion
Mike would be the Scarecrow, and...
Kevin would be Dorothy (I counted 3[!] riffs where he's in drag  :speechless:)
I like it when its done well, and they make up the guys to fit the characters of the movie vs the shorts where their making funny faces. Maybe sometimes the heads are a liil big but doesnt bother me.

I have a weird recollection of seeing a Rifftrax movie for rent at a blockbuster a long time ago, but im thinking now that it was probably something completely different but used the same "big head" idea. (Maybe im thinking of those talking hand spoof movies? I dont know its be ages since blockbuster closed here lol)
Source Auras - AMKR & Josh Grooves.

Soundcloud.com/aeonsold (now broken up, working on new project Source Auras currently - all old material)

Offline Nobody

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 617
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 11:57:05 AM »
Easily one of the best Riff's of 2014 so far (and Id say its the best mp3 riff, that's possibly ever been done - as it has replay value for me like the VODs - even if the riff is funny, and its summer blockbuster - I dont wanna watch "transformers" or high school musical even with the riffs, either more than once or twice, or in the case of high school musical - at all.
High school musical is among their best riffs ever.  You can feel that they were energized by it.  Likely, every riff opportunity in the movie had several possible jokes; it was just a matter of choosing the best one.  I had to watch it twice, just to catch things I missed while laughing, and I've now seen it at least a dozen times.  Kevin made a comment during the big number "Status Quo" that I firmly believe is the funniest thing the man has ever said.

I loved Wizard of Oz, but HSM is still head and shoulders above it for me.

Offline AMKR

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Source Aura
    • Aeons Old - SoundCloud
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 12:30:53 PM »
Easily one of the best Riff's of 2014 so far (and Id say its the best mp3 riff, that's possibly ever been done - as it has replay value for me like the VODs - even if the riff is funny, and its summer blockbuster - I dont wanna watch "transformers" or high school musical even with the riffs, either more than once or twice, or in the case of high school musical - at all.
High school musical is among their best riffs ever.  You can feel that they were energized by it.  Likely, every riff opportunity in the movie had several possible jokes; it was just a matter of choosing the best one.  I had to watch it twice, just to catch things I missed while laughing, and I've now seen it at least a dozen times.  Kevin made a comment during the big number "Status Quo" that I firmly believe is the funniest thing the man has ever said.

I loved Wizard of Oz, but HSM is still head and shoulders above it for me.
I can see how people would enjoy it. I just in general...don't like musicals. This one is even worse because it was made for the middle school-ish crowd, trying to glammorize high school, like its really anything to look forward to. I hated high school LOL. And when it comes to music, I especially despise teen pop crap. Its the fact that Ive gotta listen to these songs that make me want to vomit, that keeps me away from HSM - not the riffs. Nor do I like high school movies at all, or romance movies (Cocktail comes to mind, as one I wasnt looking forward to but actually turned out alright because I really like the Doug Coughlin character and his ideology even if it was all wrong - that movie ended awfully though...and left me thinking...thats it? this is how it ends? wtf lol)

Like I still havent seen Crossroads or Glitter either - and (Glitter is it?) I want to see because Mary Jo and Bill did it up (loved the X Files riff) but I hate pop music with a passion (dont get me wrong some of the best musical producers/instrumentalists work with pop singers, and SOME may even be good at singing - its the content of the songs that leaves alot to be desired...esp. as a fan of intellectual/intelligent underground rap music and poetry in general, theres just nothing to it - cover the same themes that pop has constantly since its inception, the only innovation happening in the genre is the change of musical styles over the years which is only to reflect trends to sell more, if you dont write your own lyrics, or music and just sing - and in todays world in most cases they cant even sing well, its all autotune - that brings pop down even MORE because now, their not musicians, their not song writers, their not lyricists and they cant sing, so why?!!?! Its getting to the point where extremely untalented people are being made to seem talented but its all other peoples work, and studio-mixing/mastering tricks and Their style & image just get shaped and molded by the company to sell-sell-sell as a musician myself it sickens me really, it does. /endrant) - although The Apple is a great musical riff. (But because its a musical, I will usually skip it in favor of a regular movie)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 12:40:53 PM by AMKR »

Soundcloud.com/aeonsold (now broken up, working on new project Source Auras currently - all old material)

Offline AMKR

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Source Aura
    • Aeons Old - SoundCloud
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 12:38:09 PM »
Oh and I agree - most of the Rifftrax I need to watch (and mst3k, even though Ive seen them all atleast 100 times lol) several times to get all the jokes, references etc. Thats what makes Rifftrax and MST3K have so much replay value, and has endured over the years, every time I watch an episode or movie etc - I get a new joke that I didnt before, or something that went over my head because it was based off something small going onscreen. And now theres so much matieral in their back catalog - you can always find one or two you havent seen in awhile and have forgotten alot of the riffs.

Offline Nobody

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 07:48:10 PM »
I don't like musicals, either.  Hate them, in fact.

I'm not a huge fan of Wizard of Oz on its own, come to think of it.  Riffing has a strange ability to make the unwatchable watchable, and the watchable watchable in an entirely different way.  It's a remarkable art form in that sense.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5711
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 05:20:08 PM »
The problem with musicals is that it adds another, at least, two hurdles for a movie to be enjoyable. The very fact people burst into song in the first place. And whether you like the songs themselves.
Also, there is a tendency for a musical to completely rely on the songs to be enjoyable at all. Without them, a lot of musicals would completely fail as movies.

Offline Nobody

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 08:13:50 PM »
The problem with musicals is that it adds another, at least, two hurdles for a movie to be enjoyable. The very fact people burst into song in the first place. And whether you like the songs themselves.
Also, there is a tendency for a musical to completely rely on the songs to be enjoyable at all. Without them, a lot of musicals would completely fail as movies.
Les Miserables takes it one step further, with all dialogue in song form.  Annoying as hell.  I found the movie intolerable.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 08:26:58 PM »
Les Miserables takes it one step further, with all dialogue in song form.  Annoying as hell.  I found the movie intolerable.
Yeah, I hate that too. I only watched about ten minutes and wanted to icepick my eardrums.
I don't even get it. If they are ALWAYS singing, then it makes them singing at the supposedly important or emotional points not special or significant at all.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 07:11:26 AM »
Would you guys just explode if you watched an actual Opera?
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 09:57:51 AM »
I can't even imagine having to sit through a genuine Opera.  :P  I don't like that style of singing anyway (although I can appreciate the skill it takes to sing like that). And I can't for the life of me understand what they are saying even if the song is in English. Not to mention the fact that traditional operas are often VERY long.

Offline Nobody

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 10:16:43 AM »
Would you guys just explode if you watched an actual Opera?
Done that.  Longest week of my life.  "Carmen" is seven days long, isn't it?   I thought my head was going to burst, "Scanners" style.

The things a guy will do for sex...

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 12:16:35 AM »
I thought it was okay but the quality difference between VOD and Mp3 is becoming huge for me, I doubt I'll listen to it again.   
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)