login

Author Topic: "I guess I'll go be a gay icon."  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 446
Re: "I guess I'll go be a gay icon."
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 06:54:49 PM »
Well, her being in her teens and still in high-school and "Hunk" being in his later teens or even early 20s and going off to college certainly wouldn't have been an unusual or all together odd relationship in the 1930s.  In the movie I prefer to think of Dorothy as being maybe around 15 or 16 and just a naive farm girl. Maybe as young as 14.  That's make her young/innocent enough to fit her behavior in the movie (again, granting her that she's a naive farm girl without much exposure to the world) and Hunk being probably around 19.   This makes the age gap between them safely "normal" for there to be a relationship without it being *too* creepy, again, given the time and small-town/farm culture.

Judy Garland was in her late teens when she made this movie and wore binders to contain her bosom to make her "look younger."  I take this to mean that the movie makers felt she was too developed to "realistically" pass for a girl in her teens (even though she *was* in her teens.) She might have just been more developed than most girls her age and certainly most girls Dorothy's age if she was supposed to be in her early teens.

Incidentally there is remnant of the connection between her and "Hunk" in the movie as this is the reason why she says she'll miss Scarecrow (Hunk's Oz counterpart) "most of all" during her farewells.  She's the closest to him/his Kansas counterpart.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 241
Re: "I guess I'll go be a gay icon."
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 02:27:13 PM »
So I guess they missed their chance to riff "a hunk a hunk of burnin' love...."