login

Author Topic: What did you learn my pretties?  (Read 8497 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 475
What did you learn my pretties?
« on: January 17, 2014, 01:25:02 PM »
I learned that you should keep a substance toxic to you on hand at all times and especially keep it nearby when you wish to create a situation where someone may USE that substance.

I also learned that the Wicked Witch of the West is related to the aliens from "Signs."

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
Re: What did you learn my pretties?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 01:39:17 PM »
The Witch and the Wizard are somehow connected to Hogwarts, which makes sense.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 01:41:48 PM »
I learned that tornadic storm literally spring out of nowhere.  Which, yeah, they can but there's usually *some* indication of inclement weather before hand.  I live in Kansas, I know how this works, movie people!

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 01:43:44 PM »
I learned that tornadic storm literally spring out of nowhere.  Which, yeah, they can but there's usually *some* indication of inclement weather before hand.  I live in Kansas, I know how this works, movie people!

Colorado is pretty bad in this regard in that the weather in Colorado Springs can change several times within the course of an hour.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1266
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 02:35:28 PM »
Why are Scarecrow and Tin Man scarred of Lion? Guys, one of you can just jam your internal organs back in your jacket. While the other is made of metal and has an axe.

Lion's perfectly justified to be scarred of these guys. Of the three of them, it would seem he's the only one who's actually mortal.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 03:20:47 PM »
The grooming stations I can see, but why did Oz's beautification center need a station for re-stuffing an animated man of straw and another station for buffing a man made of metal?

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1266
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 03:57:19 PM »
What was the point of the hourglass? Then time ran out, nothing happened. Oh, and I guess just turning the hourglass over again wasn't an option.

Also, the Tin Man really sucks at his job. Especially if you know his backstory. Guy was originally Human, but he kept losing limbs, so he replaced then with tin. Eventually there was no human left. It's strange that Dorothy mentions this in Return to Oz, even though no mention of it was made in this movie.

Hey guys, movie's running kind of long. What do you think we should cut, the entire last quarter of the book where they go to the witch of the South. Or that ridiculously long King of the Forest song that served no purpose? Really, so we're just ditching the whole North, South, East, West thing at the last minute.

Actually, I read somewhere that the real reason they cut out the last witch is because it would have required a bunch of animatronics, and they didn't have enough money left to pull it off. I've read the book, and I do recall the last part being kinda strange, even for this story.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »
Eh, there's a lot of differences between the movie and the book(s), heck there's a lot of differences between the movie and the stage-version which the movie is more based on.  In the stage version Dorothy makes it into the balloon (actually I think a rocketship in the stage version) and the "Wizard" personally delivers Dorothy home, the premise being she had actually visited a place called Oz. (Rather than the implication of the events of the movie being a dream as is the case in the film.)

In the movie I never took that that the Tinned Woodsman had the same origin as his book counterpart but that he was actually a "mechanical man" of sorts.  I dunno, I guess I have a easier time accepting that than accepting that Oz has a remarkable health-care system with advanced robotic prosthetics.

But it's pretty short-sighted to make your mechanized woodsman so easily corrosive. Even your average mid-seventies Detroit behemoth needs considerable damage and exposure to elements to begin to rust.  The Tin Man apparently rusted-solid in ONE rainstorm!  Then after regaining his mobility he rusts AGAIN in a mild snow shower!  Sheesh, whoever made him really went with the lowest bidder when it came to his metal supplier.

EDIT: My mistake, not corrected above but stated here:

The stage version with Dorthy leaving in a rocket/balloon with "The Wizard" is an adaptation made in a 1940s version of the story, altering events in the movie. The movie is more true to the source material in how Dorothy gets home from Oz.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 06:52:42 PM by Trekker4747 »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6696
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 05:07:18 PM »
I learned that L. Frank Baum (or possibly just the filmmakers) had NO idea what tin is, or it's properties.

I did NOT learn what hideous musical style that King of the Forest song is supposed to be. Seriously, it's just embarrassing.

I learned that RoninFox riffed this movie better.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 05:12:29 PM »
What was the point of the hourglass? Then time ran out, nothing happened. Oh, and I guess just turning the hourglass over again wasn't an option.
I love the discussion they have about this in the RoninFox riff.

Did the book have some explanation for this? Or was it completely different there?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 05:57:28 PM »
I learned that property law in Oz is fucked up.

The lion's "growl" is even less accurate than Katy Perry's in Roar.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 06:04:28 PM »
I learned that L. Frank Baum (or possibly just the filmmakers) had NO idea what tin is, or it's properties.

It's possible the Tin Man was as "tin" as a tin-can, which is to say not tin at all. Tin-cans is a mutilation of the real name for them, "tinned" cans. Which are steel coated with tin to prevent rusting. (Cans made out of pure tin would be very expensive.) If the tin coating becomes scratched or otherwise damaged then rusting can occur at that point.

So it's "possible" the Tin Man was a Tinned Man who had some surface damage that allowed him to rust.  Now we could argue the "beauty shop" in Oz between the buffing and other treatments they gave him they were able to re-establish this tin coating which should make the Tin Man rust-resistant again.

And Baum made the error. The Tin Man's story is a lot more complex in the book but in it he is made of tin and does rust stiff when out in the elements too long, needing his oil-can in order to allow him to move again.

Again, we could argue he was "tinned" and not made out of pure tin.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 06:06:33 PM by Trekker4747 »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1010
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 08:08:53 PM »
I learned that it'll take me about 17 hours to remember where I heard Kevin ask "What do they got that I don't got?" ala the Cowardly Lion before. So many MST3k flashbacks in this film.

BTW- where was it? Under the spoiler.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 08:45:48 PM »
I learned that it'll take me about 17 hours to remember where I heard Kevin ask "What do they got that I don't got?" ala the Cowardly Lion before. So many MST3k flashbacks in this film.

BTW- where was it? Under the spoiler.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wow, I didn't even know that the RoninFox riff was a reference to that!

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 08:46:29 PM »
I learned that even in a whimsical place like Munchkinland, a singing coroner would probably be off-putting.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?