login

Author Topic: Top Holiday Food Countdown: List of Crap #77  (Read 17977 times)

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
Re: Top Holiday Food Countdown: List of Crap #77
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 03:00:50 AM »
The ravioli isn't really a holiday food per se, but it's always been an Easter and Christmas tradition in our family.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 325
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 11:32:53 AM »
So far, no holiday food picks of mine -- which means either you all agreed with my top picks, or my list didn't get counted…
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My touring group! www.themeparkimprov.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1187
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 06:19:17 PM »
Woo Hoo Applesauce!

I actually voted for home made applesauce. That stuff takes a long time to make, but it's worth it. I used to work for a little store called the Pie Peddler. I love Apples, but you would not believe the hours I spent peeling and cutting those damn things. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6580
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 06:36:54 PM »
Blech! Apple sauce is baby food. I'm an adult goddamnit, I don't need my food mashed up (yet).

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 12:20:30 AM »
Your list totally counted, Cole.  Just you wait.  Sorry for the break, been staying at Bed and Breakfasts with no wifi.  Will resume in a while.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 04:26:59 AM »
Number 38
Sparkling Apple Cider
( 22 Points, 1 of 10 lists, Top Vote#4  Cole Stratton)

Holiday  Christmas and New Year's         
"Sparkling cider" is a carbonated nonalcoholic beverage made from unfiltered or filtered apple cider. It is sometimes served at celebrations as a non-alcoholic alternative to champagne.   

Holiday Recipe
Sparkling Apple Cider Sangria
http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-sparkling-apple-cider-sangria-the-10-minute-happy-hour-197417
2 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 cup cognac
2 cups apple cider
750ml bottle cava (or other dry sparkling wine), chilled
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
Add the apples to a large pitcher reserving about 1/2 cup for garnishing. Add the cognac, apple cider, and chilled cava. Stir.
Fill the pitcher with ice. Pour the sangria into glasses filled with ice and top with sliced apple and pomegranate seeds.

Sparkling Apple Cider Trivia
Sparkling Apple Cider in World of Warcraft:
Item Level 45
Duration: 2 days (real time)
Use: Restores 1992 mana over 30 sec.  Must remain seated while drinking.  If you spend at least 10 seconds drinking you will become well fed and gain 12 Stamina and Spirit for 15 min.
Requires Level 35
Max Stack: 20
Sell Price: 50 Copper
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 04:32:08 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 04:37:33 AM »
Number 37
Pimento Dram
( 23 Points, 1 of 10 lists, Top Vote#3  Cole Stratton)

Holiday  Christmas?      
Pimento dram (also called pimento liqueur or allspice dram) is an herbal liqueur with a rum base that has the taste of allspice. It has a rum base and is flavored with the dried, spicy berry of thepimento tree. The flavor of is best described as a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove, thus its more common name 'allspice.'

This traditionally Jamaican liqueur (and variations of) has seen a resurgence in recent years. There was a time around the 1980's when production ceased almost entirely. However, with renewed interest in fine cocktails came increased demand for such seemingly forgotten liqueurs. Many bartenders made their own and eventually a few companies released new bottlings.

Holiday Recipe
Pimento Dram
http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/pimento-dram/
Pimento Dram
•   1/4c whole allspice
•   1c light Puerto Rican rum
•   1/2 bottle light Puerto Rican rum
•   1c water
•   1lb demerara sugar
Grind allspice berries and mix with 1c rum in a pot. Bring to a boil and stir. Immediately pour into a bottle and fill it 3/4 full with more rum. Seal and store for 2 weeks, shaking occasionally. Strain 4000 times with cheesecloth. Make the syrup with the water and demerara sugar. Mix equal parts syrup with allspice rum. Bottle, seal, and let sit for 1 – 8 months. The flavor gets more pronounced and mellower the longer you wait. Obviously sample it throughout the process.

Pimento Dram Trivia
It was quite popular during the mid 20th century, especially during thetiki craze. The likes of Trader Vic's and Don the Beachcomber used it as a spicy background element for a number of rum cocktails, as well as those below.
•   Bitches Brew
•   Independence on Ice
•   Marriage of Figaro
•   Navy Grog
•   Old Sydney Town Punch
•   Poinsettia Punch
•   (JMW's) Poinsettia Punch
•   Pumpkin Punch
•   Surprised Cocktail
•   Winter Cocktail

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2013, 04:45:00 AM »
Number 36
Kolchaky
( 23 Points, 1 of 10 lists, Top Vote#1  Thrifty Version II)

Holiday  Ukrainian Christmas (Weird, I celebrate this most years, but we never make it)

Kalach (Ukrainian: кaлач; Russian: кала́ч; Romanian: colac), also known in Ukrainian as kolach), is a traditional East Slavic bread, commonly served during various ritual meals. The name originates from the Old Slavonic word kolo (коло) meaning "circle", "wheel".

A man who made kalaches was called a калачник (kalachnik), which sometimes by sandhi effect became калашник, and sometimes such a man's descendants thus got the surname Калачник (Kalachnik) or Калашник (Kalashnik), or in Russian Калашников (Kalashnikov) (= "[son] of the kalach-maker").

Ukrainian kolachi (plural) are made by braiding dough made with wheat flour into ring-shaped or oblong forms. They are a symbol of luck, prosperity, and good bounty, and are traditionally prepared for Svyat Vechir (Holy Supper), the Ukrainian Christmas Eve ritual, most often in the form of three round bread loaves stacked one atop the other with a candle in the middle.

In the area around Kiev, it was custom for a midwife to give a kalach as a gift to parents, as part of a fertility blessing. Kalaches were also used in funeral ceremonies.

Holiday Recipe
Note, this Kolachky recipe seems much less intricate than the braided breads I've seen mentionedand more for a dumpling/cookie type deal.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/kolachky/
Ingredients

Original recipe makes 4 dozenChange
 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
 4 cups all-purpose flour

1 pound chopped walnuts
 1 egg
 1/2 cup honey
 1 (12 ounce) can poppyseed filling
 1 egg white
 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting
Check All Add to Shopping List

Directions

In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese and butter until well blended. I like to use my hands, but you can also use a wooden spoon. Mix in the flour 1 cup at a time. As the dough becomes stiff, turn it out onto the counter and knead in flour until it is no longer sticky. Continue to knead the dough for 5 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Crush the walnuts to a fine consistency in a food processor. Stir in the egg and honey. On a well floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut the dough into 3x3 inch squares. Place a teaspoon of filling in the center of each square. Use walnut for some and poppyseed for the rest. Roll the squares up and seal the edges. These can also be formed into triangles. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Brush with egg white.
Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned. When cool, dust with confectioners' sugar.

Kolachky Trivia
Bread dishes such as kalach are highly prized for their artistic craftsmanship. The Bread Museum in L'viv, Ukraine, contains many examples of intricately woven kalach, paska, and babka.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:03:10 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 05:02:55 AM »
Number 35a
Red Velvet Cake
( 24 Points, 1 of 10 lists, Top Vote#2  Tyrant)

Holiday  Christmas      
Red velvet cake is a cake with either a dark red, bright red or red-brown color. It's traditionally prepared as a layer cake topped with cream cheese or cooked roux icing. The reddish color is achieved by adding beetroot or red food coloring. Before more alkaline "Dutch processed" cocoa was widely available, the red color would have been more pronounced.

Common ingredients include buttermilk, butter, cocoa, and flour for the cake, beetroot or red food coloring for the color.

James Beard's 1972 reference, American Cookery, describes three red velvet cakes varying in the amounts of shortening and butter, also vegetable oil. All used red food coloring, but the reaction of acidic vinegar and buttermilk tends to better reveal the red anthocyanin in cocoa and keeps the cake moist, light and fluffy. Before more alkaline "Dutch processed" cocoa was widely available, the red color would have been more pronounced. This natural tinting may have been the source for the name "red velvet" as well as "Devil's food" and similar names for chocolate cakes.

When foods were rationed during World War II, bakers used boiled beet juices to enhance the color of their cakes. Beets are found in some red velvet cake recipes, where they also serve to retain moisture. Adams Extract, a Texas company, is credited for bringing the red velvet cake to kitchens across America during the time of the Great Depression by being one of the first to sell red food coloring and other flavor extracts with the use of point-of-sale posters and tear-off recipe cards. The cake and its original recipe, however, are well known in the United States from New York City's famous Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. However, it is widely considered a Southern recipe. Traditionally, the cake is iced with a French-style butter roux icing (also called ermine icing), which is very light and fluffy but time-consuming to prepare. Cream cheese frosting and buttercream frosting are variations which have increased in popularity.

In Canada, the cake was a well-known dessert in the restaurants and bakeries of the Eaton's department store chain in the 1940s and 1950s. Promoted as an exclusive Eaton's recipe, with employees who knew the recipe sworn to silence, many mistakenly believed the cake to be the invention of the department store matriarch, Lady Eaton.[6]

Holiday Recipe
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paulas-party/red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

Ingredients
For the Red Velvet Cake:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (recommended: White Lily)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cocoa
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups canola oil
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 (1-ounce) bottle red food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
For the cream cheese frosting:
1/2 cup margarine
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
1 box confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped lightly toasted pecans
For the Red Velvet Cake
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) round layer cake pans.

Sift flour, baking soda and coco together. Beat sugar and eggs together in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl mix together oil, vinegar, food coloring, and vanilla. Add to the bowl of eggs and sugar and beat until combined.

Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the wet mixture by alternating the buttermilk and dry ingredients. Always start with the flour and end with the flour.

Pour batter into pans. Tap them on the table to level out the batter and release air bubbles. Bake for 25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted near the middle comes out clean but be careful not to over bake or you'll end up with a dry cake.

Let layers cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before turning out of pan. Cool completely before frosting

For the cream cheese frosting:
This is the "official" cream cheese frosting recipe but we always use about 1 1/2 recipes on each cake to cover it well.

Let margarine and cream cheese soften to room temperature. Cream well. Add sugar and beat until mixed but not so much that the frosting becomes "loose". Add vanilla and nuts. Spread between layers and on top and sides of cake.

Red Velvet Trivia
 A resurgence in the popularity of this cake is partly attributed to the 1989 film Steel Magnolias which included a red velvet groom's cake made in the shape of an armadillo.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 05:15:27 AM »
Number 35b
Doughboys
( 24 Points, 1 of 10 lists, Top Vote#2  Cole Stratton)

Holiday  Independence Day?      
Fried dough is a North American food associated with outdoor food stands in carnivals, amusement parks, fairs, rodeos, and seaside resorts (though it can be made at home). Fried dough is the specific name for a particular variety of fried bread made of a yeast dough; see the accompanying images for an example of use on carnival-booth signs. Fried dough is also known as fry dough, fry bread,fried bread, doughboys, elephant ears, scones, frying saucers, buñuelos in the case of smaller pieces. These foods are virtually identical to each other, and recognizably different from other fried dough foods such as doughnuts, beignets, or fritters.

A smaller Italian variant common in North America is the zeppole.

Similar food is found in Europe, also typically from outdoor stands in fairs. For example, in Croatia fried dough is known as languši, while the oliebol is eaten in the Netherlands.

Holiday Recipe
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/doughboys-recipe/index.html

Ingredients
Sponge:
1 package dry yeast (2 teaspoons)
3/4 cup lukewarm water
2/3 cup unbleached white flour
2 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1/4 cup rye flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold water
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup chestnut flour
1/3 cup olive oil
Oil, for frying
Directions
Sponge: In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in lukewarm water and stir in the flour. Allow the mixture to sit until quite bubbly, about 30 minutes.

Mix together the white flour, rye flour and salt in a bowl. Stir 1 cup of this mixture and 1 cup of cold water into the sponge. Mix thoroughly and allow to sit another 30 minutes.

Add the whole-wheat flour, chestnut flour and the olive oil. Knead the dough either by hand or in an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. Mix until the dough is soft and elastic, about 5 minutes. You may need to add a little more flour if the dough is too wet, but you want a soft, slightly sticky dough. Very soft, moist dough makes the best crust!

Put the dough in a large bowl, cover with a towel and allow it to rest in a warm place until it has doubled in size, about 2 hours. If you are making the dough a day before, put the bowl in the refrigerator and let rise slowly overnight.

To cook the doughboys, preheat a deep-fryer or heavy-bottomed pot, with enough oil to come halfway up the sides of the pot, to 375 degrees F.

Be sure to use a frying thermometer to be accurate. Pull the dough into odd shapes that look like elephant ears, then drop them into the fryer, in batches, and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip them over with a chop stick and cook the other side until golden brown, a few more minutes. Repeat the process until all of the dough is used. Arrange them on a serving platter and serve with jam, maple syrup, and powdered sugar. Sit down, get coffee and eat.

Cook's Note: The dough usually made a day before using.

Doughboy Trivia
 In Canada, pieces of fried dough are sometimes called beaver tails. According to Bill Castleman, a writer of books on Canadian word origins, the name referred to quick-baked dough "especially in early 19th-century places where people might camp for one night and where there was no frying pan." In 1978, Pam & Grant Hooker of Ottawa, Ontario founded the BeaverTails chain of restaurants specializing in the sale of fried dough pastries which are hand stretched to the shape of a beaver's tail.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 06:06:14 AM »
Number 36
Kolchaky

If Thrifty can help me with any of these, I'd appreciate it.

I think you transposed some letters.  This is what I was talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolachky
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 06:00:00 PM by Thrifty Version II »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2013, 01:03:56 PM »
Fixed it!  Thanks, yeah, somehow the letters got mixed up.  Sorry.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2013, 02:35:15 PM »
Number 33
Bread Pudding
( 24 Points, 2 of 10 lists, Top Vote#9  Pak Man)

Holiday  Christmas      
Bread pudding is a bread-based dessert popular in many countries' cuisines, including that of Argentina,Belgium, Canada, Cuba, France, Germany, Ireland, Malta, Mexico, the Netherlands,Slovakia, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, and the United Kingdom, as well as the Creole people of Louisiana and others in the southern United States. In other languages, its name is a translation of "bread pudding" or even just "pudding", for example "pudín" or "budín" in Spanish; also in Spanish another name is "migas" (crumbs)[citation needed]. In the Philippines, banana bread pudding is popular. In Mexico, there is a similar dish eaten during Lent called capirotada.

There is no fixed recipe, but it is usually made using stale (usually left-over) bread, and some combination of ingredients like milk, egg, suet, sugar or syrup, dried fruit, and spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg,mace or vanilla. The bread is soaked in the liquids, mixed with the other ingredients, and baked.

It may be served with a sweet sauce of some sort, such as whiskey sauce, rum sauce, or caramel sauce, but is typically sprinkled with sugar and eaten warm in squares or slices. Sometimes bread pudding is served warm topped with or alongside a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. In Canada it is often made with maple syrup. In Malaysia, bread pudding is eaten with custard sauce. In Hong Kong, bread pudding is usually served with vanilla cream dressing. In Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany, black bread is used to make "black bread pudding" (Schwarzbrotpudding). In Hungary it is called 'Máglyarakás' which is baked with whipped egg whites on top of it. In Puerto Rico, bread pudding is soaked over night in coconut milk and served with a guava rum sauce.

Holiday Recipe
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bread-pudding-ii/

Ingredients 
Original recipe makes 1 - 8 inch square pan
•   
6 slices day-old bread
•   
2 tablespoons butter, melted
•   
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
•   
4 eggs, beaten
•   
2 cups milk
•   
3/4 cup white sugar
•   
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•   
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
1.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.   Break bread into small pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over bread. If desired, sprinkle with raisins.
3.   In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
4.   Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.

Bread Pudding Trivia
Cookbooks from the 19th century often feature pudding made with crumbs. Nowadays, chunks or slices of bread are used.  I know this barely qualifies as trivia.  I apologize.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2013, 02:46:17 PM »
Number 32
Tourtière
( 24 Points, 2 of 10 lists, Top Vote#4 Johnny Unusual)

Holiday  Christmas      
Tourtière (French pronunciation: [tuʁ.ˈtjɛʁ], Quebec French : [tuʁ.ˈt͡sjaɛ̯ʁ]; also popularly referred to in Canada in print and in its pronunciation as tortière) is a meat pie originating from Lower Canada (now Quebec), usually made with finely diced pork and/or veal, or beef. Wild game is often added to enhance the taste of the pie. It is a traditional part of the Christmas and/or Christmas Eve réveillon and New Year's Eve meal in Quebec, but is also sold in grocery stores all year long. This kind of pie is known as pâté à la viande (literally, meat pie) in the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region.

Tourtière is not exclusive to Quebec. It is a traditional French-Canadian dish served by generations of French-Canadian families throughout Canadaand the bordering areas of the United States. In the New England region of the U.S., especially in Maine, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts (e.g. Chicopee and Attleboro) late 19th and early 20th century immigrants from Quebec introduced the dish.

There is no one correct filling, as the pie meat depends on what is available in regions. In coastal areas, fish such as salmon is commonly used, whereas pork, beef, rabbit, and game are often used inland.

The tourtières of the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean area and Eastern Quebec are slow-cooked deep-dish meat pies made with potatoes and various meats (often including wild game) cut into small cubes.

Elsewhere in Quebec and the rest of Canada, this variety of tourtière is sometimes referred to, in French and in English, as tourtière du Lac-Saint-Jean or tourtière saguenéenne to distinguish it from the varieties of tourtière with ground meat.

Tourtière in Montreal is made with finely ground pork only (which can be hard to find as the meat is often ground too coarsely elsewhere). Water is added to the meat after browning and the addition of cinnamon and cloves is what makes it unique. Many people use ketchup as a condiment, though the tourtière is also often eaten with maple syrup or molasses, or mango chutney.

Although it is less popular than the original tourtière and the tourtière du Lac-Saint-Jean this version can also be commonly found throughout Canada and its surrounding areas.

Manitoba is home to the largest French-Canadian population in Canada outside of Québec. Tourtière is an integral part of holiday-time meals for French Canadians in St.Boniface, Winnipeg's French Quarter as well as in Manitoba's many Francophone rural areas. Browned meat is seasoned with varying combinations of savory, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, celery salt, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Pies are served with mustards and various types of relishes.

Holiday Recipe
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/french-canadian-tourtiere/

Ingredients
Original recipe makes 1 - 9 inch pie
•   
1 pound lean ground pork
•   
1/2 pound lean ground beef
•   
1 onion, diced
•   
1 clove garlic, minced
•   
1/2 cup water
•   
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
•   
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
•   
1/4 teaspoon ground sage
•   
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
•   
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
•   
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

Directions
1.   Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2.   In a saucepan, combine pork, beef, onion, garlic, water, salt, thyme, sage, black pepper and cloves. Cook over medium heat until mixture boils; stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer until meat is cooked, about 5 minutes.
3.   Spoon the meat mixture into the pie crust. Place top crust on top of pie and pinch edges to seal. Cut slits in top crust so steam can escape. Cover edges of pie with strips of aluminum foil.
4.   Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, remove foil and return to oven. Bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing.

Tourtière Trivia
The name derives from the vessel in which it was originally cooked, a tourtière.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2013, 06:01:29 PM »
Kolachky is a tradition in our family.  Dad makes dozens of them every year, though he didn't this year.  They're little cookies about 2 inches in diameter with some jelly spooned into a crater on top and dusted with confectioner's sugar.  Good stuff, but they're pretty dry.