Author Topic: New Year Things to do......  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
New Year Things to do......
« on: January 05, 2014, 06:52:31 AM »
Lots of people start their new year with "I am going to change so many things to make my life better"..... and their list is so long and complicated, it gets ditched quickly.  Anyway, below are some simple things you can look at each January 1.  The below stuff that I do can have many more things added to it........or stuff ignored. 

Put all your website addresses (i.e. Rifftrax, bank accounts, check accounts, etc.), login IDs, passwords, etc. in a Word document and put a password on the document so you cannot open it without knowing the password.  And for heavens sake, do not print it out and carry with you or leave on your desk at work.   If you keep them all on paper, do NOT leave that laying around.  Store online on a protected site (perhaps the Microsoft Skydrive site?) so you can get to it when you need the data.  Do you remember all 10,000 places you have and know all their passwords?  My memory does not do that, especially since most changes make you change the passwords or add key questions to your account.

If you have data stored online, might be a good time to find a way to back them up at least monthly.

Finance and Saving Plans..........too hard to address here, but you might want to take a look at them and ensure your current plan is still good for you.

Go to the kitchen and look at all your spices you have on the shelves.  When you get the dried kind, they usually are good for 4 years out in the future.  Once you open the spice and use it, the power sloooowly goes away.  If you have any expiring in 2014 or 2015, toss them and get fresh ones.  Your food will thank you.

If you live in a warm state (but still can get freezing weather), make sure your hoses are disconnected, spigots winterized and sprinkler system has the valves set to OFF during the short freeze time you may have.  And if you live in a cold state, you should do this each October 1.  Put a yearly calendar event to remind you.

Look in your pantry for ancient cans of veggies, old rice mixes, old soups...........maybe time to replace those?  If they are not past due, Goodwill will like them during their next collection time.

Might be a good time to look at your cooking spoons and spatulas.  They may be worn out and need replacing too.  Maybe those knives would be good to replace some of them.  Pots and pans?  How are they doing?

Exercise......START EASY.  What you can do to start with (and to see if you want to do more), do some sit ups in the morning to start.  An EASY place to start with this is in your bed.  When you wake up, or are getting dressed for the morning.  In the evening while sitting down for TV after a long day at work, I bet this would be a good time to spend 2 minutes to do some more.  Do them on the floor in front of the TV.  If you have a pet, they will love seeing you on the floor and will want to play a bit too.  If you want, do some push ups at this time too.   You can work on a heavier physical plan if you want.  But this is a simple start process. 

Running...... good idea but hard to really keep going.  Maybe start with daily walks?  Either in the morning when you wake up, or when you get home after work?  If you have a pet, they will want to go with you and that is fun.

UncleDesmond

Re: New Year Things to do......
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 01:28:05 PM »
Sound advice, Bob. Thank you.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4565
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: New Year Things to do......
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 04:23:39 PM »
Money! Need to find ways to make More of it! :o

Did good last year restructuring my finances, including refinancing my home and saving $100 dollars a month, but now I still need to replenish my exhausted savings  :-\