Author Topic: New VOD "Dr. Who: Daleks - Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D." Now Available!!!  (Read 8507 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
Re: New VOD "Dr. Who: Daleks - Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D." Now Available!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 05:40:37 PM »
Do I need to watch the first one in order to follow this one?  I could never get past the frame problem on the last one so I have not seen it.

No, you totally don't. The stupid guy from the first movie TOTALLY DISAPPEARS like Megan Fox in Transformers 3 or Heath Ledger in the Dark Knight Rises. No explanation, just PFFT. Gone.

Him AND the daughter. This one has Dr. Who's niece(?) joining the adventure.  And, yeah you don't need the first one to follow this one. This one makes about as much sense as the first one.  Just know this, a crazy wild-eyed man who claims to be a scientist built a time machine... somehow. And not only that this time machine can move anywhere in space as well as time... somehow.  The inside of this time machine, which he cleverly "disguised" as a police-call box that'd only be in place in one country on one planet in one narrow time frame in all of time and space, is much larger on the inside than on the outside... somehow.

No explanation to how he invented or pulled these things off (in the TV series Dr. Who is an alien or something like that so has future/alien technology which forgives much of this hand-waving. Accept the call-box thing. Seriously? What the hell?!)  he just "did." And somehow everyone takes these amazing discoveries in stride.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 05:51:08 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kpo_BgM8Ozw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Kpo_BgM8Ozw</a>

There's a clip from the 9th Doctor I can't find right now where he explains that the camoflage circuit that was supposed to change the Tardis to fit in with any surroundings broke, and he's never gotten around to fixing it, and doesn't want to.  He just likes the blue box, and he's found that when people anywhere see it, they usually just leave it alone.  Even if it doesn't fit in, people assume it does.

Sounded like a Douglas Adams explanation, and might have been since he used to be a big name during some of the show's classic run.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 07:13:31 PM »
Yeah, it was a police box in series 1, episode 1 in Trotter's Yard where Barbara and Ian found it. The doctor and his granddaughter Susan had been there for quite some time apparently, but then when they ended up amongst a bunch of cave men, it didn't change form... and that clip up there is from that episode.

The SECOND episode is the introduction of the Daleks, which that serial is basically exactly the same as the first movie riffed, except for the backstory changes, budget, etc.

Later, during the 6th doctor's run (Colin Baker), he found a way to fix the camoflage circuits... only he didn't do that great of a job, and it kept appearing as things like an organ (instrument, not human organ) and various things that had no doors or openings. So he re-broke it and kept it as a police box.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:54:27 PM by TheUnabeefer »
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline McGrignr

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 09:43:12 PM »
There's a clip from the 9th Doctor I can't find right now where he explains that the camoflage circuit that was supposed to change the Tardis to fit in with any surroundings broke, and he's never gotten around to fixing it, and doesn't want to.  He just likes the blue box, and he's found that when people anywhere see it, they usually just leave it alone.  Even if it doesn't fit in, people assume it does.

Sounded like a Douglas Adams explanation, and might have been since he used to be a big name during some of the show's classic run.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pWQi8kMKztQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pWQi8kMKztQ</a>

It's kind of Douglas Adams-ish, though merely on a passive psychological level rather than using an active Somebody Else's Problem field.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Within the novel Life, the Universe and Everything of Douglas Adams's "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" his character Ford Prefect describes Somebody Else's Problem as:

An SEP is something we can't see, or don't see, or our brain doesn't let us see, because we think that it's somebody else's problem.... The brain just edits it out, it's like a blind spot. If you look at it directly you won't see it unless you know precisely what it is. Your only hope is to catch it by surprise out of the corner of your eye.

The narration then explains:

The technology involved in making something properly invisible is so mind-bogglingly complex that 999,999,999 times out of a billion it's simpler just to take the thing away and do without it....... The "Somebody Else's Problem field" is much simpler, more effective, and "can be run for over a hundred years on a single torch battery."

This is because it relies on people's natural predisposition not to see anything they don't want to, weren't expecting, or can't explain.

In this case, the Starship Bistromath ("a small upended Italian bistro" with "guidance fins, rocket engines and escape hatches") has been hidden from the crowd watching a Cricket match at Lord's by an SEP field. People may see it, but they take absolutely no notice of it due to the shielding mechanism that does not allow them to view the unique structures of the particular bistro.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:44:46 PM by McGrignr »

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 09:45:06 PM »
Yup, thats exactly what came to mind.  I loved the SEP explanation.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5142
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2018, 06:06:03 AM »
Rewatched this one again.  Still solid.  I actually didn't realize that the cop in this film became a recurring character in the new series for a while.  Neat.