Author Topic: List Of Crap #76: Top 50 Novelty Songs Countdown  (Read 23094 times)

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
Re: List Of Crap #76: Top 50 Novelty Songs Countdown
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2013, 05:15:48 PM »
#19 Dare to be Stupid by Weird Al Yankovic
25 points on 1 of 6 lists.  Top Vote: #1 by Compound

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SMhwddNQSWQ?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SMhwddNQSWQ?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>

"Dare to Be Stupid" is an original song by "Weird Al" Yankovic. It is a track on the album of the same name.  It is a musical pastiche (or "style parody") of the band Devo.  In an interview on VH1's Behind The Music, Devo's Mark Mothersbaugh stated in reaction to the song that: "I was in shock. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard. He sort of re-sculpted that song into something else and, umm ... I hate him for it, basically."

I like this song well enough.  It's not one of my favorite Weird Al works, though my nephew was super into it when he was 6.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 05:41:32 AM by Thrifty Version II »

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2013, 05:28:53 PM »
#18 Entering Marion by John Forster
25 points on 1 of 6 lists.  Top Vote: #1 by Thrifty

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gIkCeyih3lM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gIkCeyih3lM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

"Entering Marion" is a song by musician and humorist John Forster about towns in Massachusetts.  It makes use of sexual double entendres (such as the double meaning of the word "entering") and the frequency of Massachusetts towns named after people.  I love this song because of its kicky piano tune and hilarious lyrics.  That's why it made my #1 spot.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 05:41:18 AM by Thrifty Version II »

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2013, 05:29:24 PM »
Ok that's all the 25 point and lower listings.  The rest of the entries will have been on multiple lists.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1002
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2013, 05:41:26 PM »
#24 If I Had $1000000 by Barenaked Ladies
BNL is my favorite group and I've heard this song dozens of times, but I never thought of it as a novelty song.  It's just a quirky song like a lot of their stuff.

I can answer that one easy enough. I put it on the list because of something you didn't mention-  it's a song that BNL has never performed the same way twice. For the non-fans, the interstitial bits between each verse are basically ad-libbed at the time of performance, so at one performance, you may be hearing a shoutout to USA hockey, at another you'll be getting a campaign speech for a Presidential run, and at third you'd hear an impromptu rendition of "What if God Was One of Us." So, technically I suppose it's actually a couple of thousand songs, all with the same title, if you want to get all technical about it.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6304
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2013, 06:42:03 PM »
#18 Dare to be Stupid by Weird Al Yankovic
This song is proof that Michael Bay has actually seen the 1986 Transformers animated movie. Because he apparently took it as a personal challenge.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3749
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2013, 12:37:23 AM »
Shoot! How was Dare to be Stupid not one of the Weird Al songs on my list?

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2013, 05:41:02 AM »
Crap.  I missed one somewhere.  Entering Marion is supposed to be #18... 

I see what happened.  I skipped #19.  Lemme just go back and edit those....

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2013, 05:47:14 AM »
Ok back on track here...

#17 Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah by Allan Sherman
27 points on 2 of 6 lists.  Top Vote: #6 by George Harrison

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9jjiWS__Mp0?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9jjiWS__Mp0?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>

"Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah" is a Grammy Award winning novelty song by Allan Sherman and Lou Busch, loosely based on complaint letters Sherman received from his son while attending Camp Champlain in Westport, New York.  The song is set in the fictional Camp Grenada, and is a parody of the Amilcare Ponchielli song "Dance of the Hours".  The song describes a series of disasters with the singer begging to be taken home.  By the end of the song, the singer is having a good time and instructs his parents to disregard the letter as he now enjoys camp.

My first thought when hearing this song, every time, is Homer asking "Marge?  Is Lisa at Camp Grenada?"

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2013, 05:53:02 AM »
#16 Barbie Girl by Aqua
28 points on 2 of 6 lists.  Top Vote: #5 by Pak-Man

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZyhrYis509A?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&quot;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZyhrYis509A?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&quot;</a>

"Barbie Girl" is a song by the Danish-Norwegian dance-pop group Aqua. It was released in May 1997 as their third single overall, and the first United Kingdom release. The song is included on the album Aquarium and was written by Claus Norreen and Søren Nystrøm Rasted after the group saw an exhibit on kitsch culture.

The song topped the charts worldwide, particularly in European countries such as the UK, where it was a number-one hit for three weeks. It was also on top of the charts in Australia for the same length of time, and debuted and peaked at No. 7 on the US Billboard Hot 100 on 6 September 1997 and it remains Aqua's biggest hit single in the US to date, and their only one to reach the Top 20 of the Billboard Hot 100. It is Aqua's most popular work.

The lyrics of the song are about Barbie and Ken, the dolls made by Mattel. Both the song and its music video feature Lene Nystrøm as Barbie and René Dif as Ken. As such, the lyrics drew the ire of Barbie's corporate owners, and a lawsuit was filed by Mattel.

A footnote on the back of the Aquarium CD case precisely stated that "The song 'Barbie Girl' is a social comment and was not created or approved by the makers of the doll."

I guess some people like this song.  I feel like I'm getting my skin flayed off trying to listen to it.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2013, 06:00:24 AM »
#15 The Scotsman by Bryan Bowers
30 points on 2 of 6 lists.  Top Vote: #10 by Compound

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VoUV5d09JZw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/VoUV5d09JZw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Bryan Bowers isn't particularly well known as a singer or a song writer.  From what I can see, he's best known for playing and popularizing an instrument called the autoharp.  He became popular with listeners of Dr. Demento for his 1980 recording of the song "The Scotsman".  The Scotsman is a short ditty about a Scottish man who, after a night of heavy drinking, stumbles out of the bar and falls asleep in the street.  While he is asleep, two young women pass by and tie a blue silk ribbon around his genitals.  When the Scotsman wakes up, he moves to go relieve himself and notices the bow.  The discovery leads him to quip "I don't know what you did, but I see you won first prize!"

I too was introduced to this song through Dr. Demento.  I find it really catchy and addictive and funny.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2013, 06:05:52 AM »
#14 Basketball Jones by Cheech and Chong
30 points on 2 of 6 lists.  Top Vote: #3 by George Harrison

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JIbp5C-5WXM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JIbp5C-5WXM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

"Basketball Jones featuring Tyrone Shoelaces" is a song by Cheech and Chong that first appeared on the 1973 album Los Cochinos.

Sung in falsetto by Cheech Marin, playing the title character Tyrone (as in "tie-your-own") Shoelaces, it told the story of Shoelaces' love of basketball. It was a parody of the song "Love Jones" by Brighter Side of Darkness. In the album version, the song was preceded by a mock interview with Jones' basketball coach named "Umgwana Kickbooti," in a parody of a Wide World of Sports interview conducted by a character named "Red Blazer."

"Jones" is slang for "craving" or "addiction."

While a "Love Jones" is when you love someone so much that you can't think of anyone else, a "Basketball Jones" is when you love basketball so much that you can't think of anything else.

Musicians who appeared on the record included George Harrison, Carole King, Billy Preston, and Tom Scott. The Blossoms and Michelle Phillips (from The Mamas & the Papas) performed vocals as cheerleaders on the track.

The song was released as a single in September 1973 and reached #15 on the Hot 100, becoming the only spoof to peak higher than the corresponding original. It was backed with "Don't Bug Me", also from Los Cochinos. To coincide with the graffiti artwork from the album's cover, both sides of the single feature the Ode label covered with graffiti.  The song was covered by Barry White and Chris Rock in the 1996 film Space Jam.

I never heard of this song before the lists came in.  I can't say I care for it.  The musical backing sounds disorganized and discordant, and that falsetto is really grating.  I never really like Cheech and Chong all that much either.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2013, 06:11:35 AM »
#13 Mahna Mahna by Piero Umillani
31 points on 2 of 6 lists.  Top Vote: #6 by Pak-Man

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wM89T74MPnE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wM89T74MPnE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

"Mah Nà Mah Nà" is a popular song written by Piero Umiliani. It originally appeared in the Italian film Sweden: Heaven and Hell (Svezia, Inferno E Paradiso). It was a minor radio hit in the U.S. and in Britain, but became better known in English-speaking countries from its use in a recurring blackout sketch for the 1969-70 season of The Red Skelton Show, the 14th episode of Sesame Street, the first episode of The Muppet Show, and also from its consistent use as the primary silent comedy sketch scene music for The Benny Hill Show.

Aside from its notoriety from The Benny Hill Show, "Mahna Mahna" became familiar to many from its renditions by the Muppets on television. In 1969, the first season of Sesame Street featured a sketch featuring two Muppet girls voiced by Frank Oz and Loretta Long who are unsure of what to do, until they decide to sing a song, enter an unusual-looking short, shaggy-haired male Muppet character who begins singing "Mahna Mahna", prompting the girls to join him. None of the characters had names at the time, but the male Muppet who led the "Mahna Mahna" call-and-response was eventually given the name Bip Bippadotta, so as to differentiate him from the official Mahna Mahna character that would be developed later on. The Muppet character called Mahna Mahna was originally performed by Muppets creator Jim Henson, and is now currently performed by Muppeteer veteran Bill Barretta.

On 30 November 1969, "Mahna Mahna" was performed on the The Ed Sullivan Show by three new and more fully detailed Muppet characters. The male Muppet character was now purple with wild, orange hair and a furry, green tunic, while the female Muppet characters were two identical pink alien creatures with horns and cone-like mouths (with yellow lips) that always remained open. At this point the male Muppet was given the name Mahna Mahna and the female alien creatures were referred to as The Snowths (as a portmanteau of "snout" and "mouth" since their mouth also served as their noses), both performed by Muppeteer veteran Frank Oz. The song "Mahna Mahna" was played at a slower tempo and given a more playful, quintessential "children's"-style arrangement as opposed to the previous arrangement which was slightly reminiscent of the early 1960s Calypso.

In 1976, on the first episode of The Muppet Show to be recorded (featuring Juliet Prowse), the 1969 "Mahna Mahna" routine from The Ed Sullivan Show was reworked and used as the first sketch with the same characters and a new recording of the last musical arrangement. The Muppet Show became an immediate hit and "Mahna Mahna" was the highlight of that episode. During the sketch, Mahna Mahna managed to dance his way backstage and out of the Muppet Theater, phoning the Snowths after exiting. At the end of the episode, he managed to enter Waldorf and Statler's box.

As a result, the original Piero Umiliani recording finally became a hit in the UK (#8 in the UK charts in May 1977), where the Muppet Show soundtrack album featuring the Muppets' version went to number one. It was at that point that the name "Mahna Mahna and The Snouths" was given the incorrect credit of "Mahna Mahna and The Snowths," which has served as the definitive spelling ever since then.

Meanwhile, later on in that same episode, a snippet of the song "Lullaby of Birdland" is 'hummed' during one of the improvisational passages, as part of a running gag involving "Mahna Mahna".

The song is performed in the 2011 Muppets film, where various celebrities sing with the Snowths in the end credits.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2013, 06:16:31 AM »
#12 My Ding-a-Ling by Chuck Berry
31 points on 2 of 6 lists.  Top Vote: #6 by Thrifty

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pmug-0iSmgY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pmug-0iSmgY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

"My Ding-a-Ling" is the title of a novelty song written and recorded by Dave Bartholomew. In 1972 it was covered by Chuck Berry and became Berry's only U.S. number-one single on the pop charts. Later that year, in a longer unedited form, it was included on the album The London Chuck Berry Sessions. Two members of the Average White Band, guitarist Onnie McIntyre and drummer Robbie McIntosh, played on the single.

The song tells of how the singer received a toy consisting of "silver bells hanging on a string" from his grandmother, who calls them his "ding-a-ling." According to the song, he plays with it in school, and holds on to it in dangerous situations like falling after climbing the garden wall, and swimming across a creek infested with snapping turtles. The lyrics consistently exercise the double entendre with "ding-a-ling" standing in for the penis. During the live version, Berry calls on the audience to join in the chorus, and in the final verse, he admonishes "those of you who will not sing" that they "must be playing with your own ding-a-ling."

I first heard this song on an early episode of The Simpsons when I was a kid.  A random child sings part of it during a talent show and is swiftly shuffled off stage by a furious Principal Skinner who yells "THIS PROFANITY IS OVER".  Subsequently, my little brother spent the next week singing this constantly, which provoked my father into roughly the same reaction until he stopped.

I think it's really weird that with as much success as Chuck Berry had doing straight music, this novelty song was his only #1 hit.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2013, 06:20:04 AM »
Okay I screwed up with this song and put it at the #50 spot.  I'm not sure how that happened.   So pardon any deja vu you may get.  I'll go back and edit the first post to put in the real #50.

#11 The Purple People Eater by Sheb Wooley
33 points on 2 of 6 lists.  Top Vote: #9 by Pak-Man

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DL1ZH0Ke92A?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DL1ZH0Ke92A?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>

Purple People Eater is a 1958 song by actor Sheb Wooley.  It reached #1 on the Billboard pop charts that year.  The song tells the story of how a strange creature comes to Earth with ambitions of joining a rock and roll band.  The song implies that the creature isn't actually purple, but rather that it eats purple people.  The premise, according to Wooley, is based upon a joke he heard from a friend's son.

Personal thoughts:  It's a catchy enough song.  I think the first time I ever heard of it was from a movie of the same name I watched in the third grade.  I don't remember much about the movie, and I think I fell asleep during it, but I've been meaning to look it up again.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2013, 06:28:37 AM »
We'll get into the top 10 tomorrow!