login

Author Topic: Darth Geek's The Muppet Show thread  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5647
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Darth Geek's The Muppet Show thread
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
Episode 6: Jim Nabors

And finally a guest star I like! When visiting with my family we will often watch he Andy Griffith Show, so I have a soft spot for it.

"MONEY!" Is my alltime favoite Dr. Teeth song! I didn't remember it was so early in the show's run.

Six episodes in and they are introducing Scooter? He's been in several episodes already. So I assume the order that they are on the DVD is in original broadcast order, not production order.

Jim Nabors (and Rita in the previous episode) talks about being a fan of the characters, yet this is the first season, adn early in it to boot. It could just be lines writeen for them of course, but they come off like genuine fans. I wonder if there were a few episodes shown and then a delay in filming the others?

So Miss Piggy will violently retaliate whenever she even suspects (usually wrongly) that Kermit is hitting on any of the female guests, but has no problem herself openly throwing herself at male guests? Bitch.

I can see why Wayne and Wanda didn't last too long in the show. They're not bad, but it's one joke. And the introductions by Sam are always the funniest part anyway.

'Thank God I'm a Country Boy'. Haven't heard that in years, it's still a lot of fun. It hits me right in the childhood. I was raised on classic rock and that kind of country/folk. I don't care for regular country music anymore, but the John Denver style folk music really makes me smile.

No mention of the green suit jacket Jim Nabors is wearing in the ending? Especially with the big 70s style collar, I would have thought he'd be wearing it just so Kermit could comment on it.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 05:57:17 AM »
Jim Nabors (and Rita in the previous episode) talks about being a fan of the characters, yet this is the first season, adn early in it to boot. It could just be lines writeen for them of course, but they come off like genuine fans. I wonder if there were a few episodes shown and then a delay in filming the others?

The Muppet Show started in 1976, but the Muppets were around in one form or another since the 50s.  The local tv "Sam and Friends" show, Sesame Street, and a ton of appearances on late night tv and commercials all pre-date the Muppet Show.  The year before The Muppet Show, they were featured fairly regularly on Saturday Night Live's first season.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 06:03:15 AM »

The Muppet Show started in 1976, but the Muppets were around in one form or another since the 50s.  The local tv "Sam and Friends" show, Sesame Street, and a ton of appearances on late night tv and commercials all pre-date the Muppet Show.  The year before The Muppet Show, they were featured fairly regularly on Saturday Night Live's first season.
True. And that is maybe what Rita was referring to. But Jim Nabors specifically mentions being a fan of Miss Piggy, who was first introduced on The Muppet Show.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 06:06:12 AM »

True. And that is maybe what Rita was referring to. But Jim Nabors specifically mentions being a fan of Miss Piggy, who was first introduced on The Muppet Show.

Ah, that does kind of smack of a line written for him then.  It could be that at least an episode or two had aired when they were filming, but then Miss Piggy wasn't very developed in the first couple episodes.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 09:19:32 PM »
Episode 7: Florence Henderson

As much as I loathe The Brady Bunch, Florence is okay here. Nothing special, but like so many guest I don't have a prior interest in, she's just there.

The Bouncing Brcellino Brothers feel like a precursor to the Flying Ziccini Brothers, who were always much funnier. And I know they're pigs, but they topple with only a 6 person pyramid? It is funny to see the Strangepork puppet before they established that character.

Ugh, another serious song. Fast forward. I appreciate their commitment to sticking with the variety show type format. But I come here for the laughs.

It's odd to see Miss Piggy acting so subserviant. Yet then at the end she talks about being so forward because she's liberated. I think she just means horny. I do find it hilarious whenever she does pig snorts when she is smooching on Kermit, though.

Wow. AN instance where Miss Piggy is justified in being jealous. Kermit is putting some serious swamp moves on Florence here. And Piggy is funny here (especially the "I'm well paid" line). Oh, and now she's violent again. But at least it's not against Kermit.

SOngs like "Coddleston Pie" used to confuse the hell out of me when I was a kid. But They are still enjoyable because of the charm of characters like Rowlf. It's like enjoying a song mainly because a relative is singing it.

I enjoy those Discussion Panel bits. I wish they had continued them past the first season.

Well, I was about to say Miss Piggy went a whole episode without being a bitch, but she managed to turn it around in the last few minutes. "You always hurt the one you love." I'm pretty sure a lot of abusive husbands have said the same thing. Seriously, if the genders were reversed (epescially given Piggy's significant size advantage over Kermit) I think there would be MAJOR complaints about this!

Oh cool, the introduction of Planet Koozbane! I think the bit goes a little too long. Although the fact it ends with graphic hardcore alien sex is quite unexpected for national TV.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 09:28:26 PM »
Episode 8: Paul Williams

I know some people don't care for his music. I think Disney may too often go to him, so some people find him overplayed. But I'm a big fan. Here he is just a big fuzzy bundle of fun. Clearly loving every moment of goofiness with these odd puppets. I wish he would do more on camera stuff, he's great.

Is this intro Fozzy bit the first time he's wiggled his ears like that? Or did I just not notice. It's a classic Fozzyism, I love it. It's afavorite of my Dad's as well.

Just An Old Fashioned Love Song is wonderful! Love love love this song. And it's made even better by the puppet silliness going on in it. Interestingly, a rare prominant role for the puppet duplicates of stars.

I remember The Telephone Pole bit a lot because one of the first Muppets tapes I had was a clip show rememberance type thing and Scooter kept metioning it in the in between segments over and over, before they finally showed it at the end. Most notable because Mike Oznowitsz is Frank Oz's father's real name. Also another bit where the leadup is funny in itself, and the payoff is only funny because of how much it doesn't live up to the hype.

YES! The first Muppet Labs segment! Even without Beaker, I love these.

How do we get kids to appreciate poetry? Let's aggravate a dog. Brilliant Muppet logic.

Another Newsman bit where he doesn't get hurt, he's just there to be frustrated by the stupidity of someone else. These are okay. I actually wish they had kept doing these occasionally, to break up the one joke sameness of his skits later on.

Sad Song is also really nice. And the first serious non-comedic song I haven't fast forwarded through.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 08:25:14 PM »
Episode #9: Charles Aznavour

Another guest I've never heard of. He didn't do much for me in his segments. But the "Inchworm" song at the end was nice enough that even though a serious song I didn't fast forward through it.

In the "I Feel Pretty" song, I love this kind of use of the 'whatnot' puppet.

Really, why is Gonzo of all characters given the "doesn't understand metaphors" schtick when he's the abstract artist on the show? Although after watching the Guardian of the Galaxy movie, I'm just glad we don't see him without his shirt.

For once I don't blame Miss Piggy for her going gaga over the male guest, as Aznavour was deliberately trying to get her moist in the hocks. And she does the snort when she's kissing him, that always kills me! This time Miss Piggy hits Kermit because he called her poison. Yeah, you earned that one, frog.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 09:14:35 PM »
Episode #10 Harvey Korman

I like Harvey Korman, but he's very hit and miss for me. He really works best when he has Tim Conway or other people to work off of which him as the straight man. In the Discussion Spot and Talk Spot he's used well, the two others he's trying to be the goofy one, and he's just mugging like crazy for the camera. Also, him in the chicken outfit is beyond laaame.

Not only beginning with a great Electric Mayhem song, but an extended bit getting to know Animal. Niiiice. And later we get a fun jam session too.

It's interesting that they didn't (as I recall) reuse the street set with the puppet houses in the later seasons. It looks like a very elaborate set for them to use only a few times, one joke each.

Oh dear God in Heaven, YES! Fozzy and Kermit's bit about "good grief the comedian's a bear" is definitely my favorite alltime Fozzy moment. I could watch this on an endless loop for hours, it makes me laugh so hard.

Oh wow, I think this is the first time we ever see Kermit's nephew Robin on the show, aside from a group shot. And it's the lovely "Halfway Down the Stairs"song. Probably his most iconic.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 08:35:11 PM »
I shoudl get back to going through the episodes. I forgot why I stopped.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 08:39:16 PM »

Probably because the first season isn't that good ;D
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 06:31:58 AM »

Probably because the first season isn't that good ;D
Ha ha. Now that I remember about this, I will probably get back to this in October.

I am surprised I didn't get more people posting on this thread.