Author Topic: Gone Whalin' by Conor Lastowka  (Read 10152 times)

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 10
Re: Gone Whalin' by Conor Lastowka
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 09:52:04 AM »
"Dear Ellenore... Please call me Captain from now on." 
This has entered my household.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2013, 02:36:24 PM »
Dear Amazon, thanks for making it look like I didn't think the book was funny, you bunch of pricks! This makes me look like an asshole! I mean, I AM an asshole, but not because of this! I actually liked this, goddammit! When I don't like something, trust me, I'll say something. But when I really like something, I say it too! If I wasn't such a goddamn nice Mormon guy who never fucking swears or uses profane language (CUNTFUCKASSBALLS!), I would complain about this a lot more than just this post here and what I said over on Twitter.

There I said it.

Offline Locuststakethesky

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 121
  • Just because you CAN edit doesn't mean you should.
    • Book of Face
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 08:09:56 AM »
Finished this last week.  Absolutely loved it.  I read but usually it takes me a long time to finish a book.  This one I read in about a week.

I was in the middle of reading another book, A Confederacy of Dunces, when I noticed I could borrow Gone Whalin' for free with the Amazon Prime Kindle lending library or whatever it is.  Now that I've finished Whalin', I'm going back to Dunces.  I'm not much of a literature scholar (I'm an engineer, logical mind, not exactly artistic), but I noticed a similarity between the two books.  I think it had to do with how we keep getting introduced to these ridiculous characters, each more ridiculous than the last.  I looked in to Dunces today, and it's apparently considered a picaresqure novel.  I think Gone Whalin' shares some of the elements of picaresque.

I wasn't going to mention this until I noticed Conor made a reference to Dunces yesterday on twitter and I put two and two together.  Anyway, loved the book, Conor.  Definitely looking forward to anything else you write (including more Rifftrax!).

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 89
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 09:41:15 AM »
Hey Locuststakethesky, thanks so much! I'm really glad you enjoyed the book, it means a lot to hear that.

Confederacy of Dunces is definitely an influence. I'd never claim to be able to describe people the way Toole does, he's on a level of his own the way he creates the vividly hilarious images of the characters and their squalid lives. But I did re-read the book before writing GW and was encouraged by its structure, in the way that the characters tie together but mostly how episodic I found it. It really does frame itself by certain distinct incidents Ignatius finds himself in, and I was happy to see that this was not perceived as a detriment to it. My main goal was always to be funny, and this was easier to do in a more loosely structured book.

So thanks again for the kind words and kudos on the eagle eye! Enjoy the rest of Confederacy, and pray that they never turn it into a terrible movie.

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 89
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »
Probably doesn't come through well online, but I'm exceedingly grateful to everyone that took a chance on this book. I know it would take a lot to get me to read a book by a first time author, and for you all to invest the hours it takes to read the book is quite a commitment. So once again, thanks for giving it a shot.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2014, 09:42:22 PM »
House sitting for my brother WHO'S IN FRICKIN' DISNEYLAND THE BASTARD, and I was passing the time by reading the Hunger Games Trilogy because my little sister (who is 22) kept bugging me to read the goddamn Hunger Games. So I read the goddamn Hunger Games, and the whole time I'm thinking "Why can't this be more like Gone Whalin'." True story.

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 171
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2014, 11:24:17 PM »
One of the Anaconda goodies is supposed to be a free Kindle copy of Gone Whalin, but it's not free yet:

http://www.rifftrax.com/snake

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 171
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2014, 10:37:57 AM »
I checked again and it's free now. :)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 09:23:29 PM »
Got it for free thanks to the Anaconda give away. Really funny. Here's hoping Connor writes another because I'd definitely pay for it.